+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Knocks Off Nokia on Global Internet Usage

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It's a small but still significant milestone for Apple. On Monday, StatCounter confirmed that Apple "dislodged" Nokia in January for the first time as the most popular mobile vendor in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Knocks Off Nokia on Global Internet Usage

It's a small but still significant milestone for Apple. On Monday, StatCounter confirmed that Apple "dislodged" Nokia in January for the first time as the most popular mobile vendor in terms of global internet usage.

The independent website analytics company, however, also noted that Apple wasn't alone in its historic leapfrog past Nokia. Samsung also came along for the ride, climbing ahead of Nokia worldwide to take second place behind Apple.

For January 2013, Apple led with 25.86%, which is still ahead of Samsung's 22.69%. Nokia finished third with 22.15%.

"It's good and bad news for Apple," says Aodhan Cullen, CEO of StatCounter. "Apple has been handed the number one spot despite its falling usage share. A decline in Nokia usage from January 2012 to January 2013 means the Finnish company ceded the top spot to Apple."

Although Apple has pulled ahead of Nokia, Apple actually saw its worldwide internet usage share fall from 28.67% in January 2012 to 25.86% in January of this year. But while Apple only shed 2.81% of its share, Nokia lost more ground,
    down 15.52% over the same 12-month period.

For the year, Samsung is up 7.85%.

Source: StatCounter

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

If ATT didnt charge too much for data people would be using internet on iPhone a lot more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

tlc1217 (02-04-2013)

Thanks

Verizon charges a lot more

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm never ever ever changing my unlimited data plan with AT&T. I'll raise hell if they ask me to, too.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It was only a matter of time before Nokia fell to someone else...

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

How exactly is it that Nokia "ceded" the top spot to Apple?? They just waved their arms in the air, and said "we give up" and suddenly a bunch of people with Nokias stopped using their phones? I think Apple TOOK it...Nokia had no say in the matter.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    If ATT didnt charge too much for data people would be using internet on iPhone a lot more.
    If CONSUMERS didn't rely on subsidies AT&T wouldn't have to increase monthly rates in order to make a larger profit.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    If CONSUMERS didn't rely on subsidies AT&T wouldn't have to increase monthly rates in order to make a larger profit.
    Your dumb. RELY on?? No....customers take advantage of subsidized phones, they do not RELY on them. When you walk into a ATT or Verizon store, are you immediately approached by someone telling you

"Come see r best deal of the year! Pay the full price of $799 for your new iPhone 5 and SAVE $10!"

No...you aren't. Why? Because cell phone companies are the ones RELYING on "subsidies"...not consumers. Consumers are the pets...they take whatever they are given.
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Smh do you know what "knocks off" means..

Green Apple
    Thanks

I could have swore the actual news was that samsung and apple are ahead of nokia or I might be reading the wrong new york times =/