+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's XProtect Anti-Malware Feature Blocks Java 7 Update 11

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's XProtect Anti-Malware Feature Blocks Java 7 Update 11

The recently released Java 7 Update 11 was found to be recently blocked by Apple through its XProtect anti-malware feature in OS X. It’s a bit ironic that Apple’s anti-malware feature is blocking the new update as the update was originally released to fix a serious zero-day security flaw.

The Cupertino California company took action on its own and quietly disabled the plugin through its OS X anti-malware system. As noted by MacGeneration, Apple updated its OS X XProtect list, this time adding Java 7 Update 11 to the list. Since Oracle has yet to issue a newer version of Java that addresses any outstanding issues, Mac users are prevented from running Java on their system.

Apple has been weaning away from using Java on OS X, a move that was noticed when the company dropped Java runtime from the default installation for OS X 10.7 Lion when the operating system update launched in 2010. Java vulnerabilities have been a common exploit used by malicious hackers looking to exploit the OS X platform. Hopefully Oracle can provide better security in upcoming updates as it still seems to be prone to hackers while also being incompatible with Apple’s anti-malware feature.

Source: MacGeneration

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Well Oracle tried to fix the bug by making 3 more even worse bugs.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Im starting to dislike OSX more and more. Maybe it's time for me to go back to Arch or something.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Im starting to dislike OSX more and more. Maybe it's time for me to go back to Arch or something.
    How, pray tell, is this an OSX problem?

Java is at fault, Apple did he only responsible thing they could by blocking Java.

Wish Microsoft did that every time Flash or Java for Windows is exploited.

And no, before anyone puts their foot in their mouth, I don't have any Apple computers.

Art

5. The Following User Says Thank You to artbatista For This Useful Post:

aidanharris (02-01-2013)

Thanks

Some of the websites I visit (some of them are governmental websites in my country) have Java based web pages for simulations and others. I cannot run them... And I need to work with this websites! Although I understand that Oracle has to fix this, it bothers me..

Had to install VMWare fusion and Windows in it, to be able to run these pages...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    Some of the websites I visit (some of them are governmental websites in my country) have Java based web pages for simulations and others. I cannot run them... And I need to work with this websites! Although I understand that Oracle has to fix this, it bothers me..

Had to install VMWare fusion and Windows in it, to be able to run these pages...
    Here are Apple's instructions on re-enabling Java at your own risk.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Hope this helps.

Art

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
    How, pray tell, is this an OSX problem?

Java is at fault, Apple did he only responsible thing they could by blocking Java.

Wish Microsoft did that every time Flash or Java for Windows is exploited.

And no, before anyone puts their foot in their mouth, I don't have any Apple computers.

Art
    Because I don't want Apple to have full control of what I can or can't run on my machine.