+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Leaks Hardware Info on Next-Gen Apple TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Did the U.S. Federal Communications Commission spill the beans about the next Apple TV model? That's what some think happened today through an FCC filing that clearly points to a
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default FCC Leaks Hardware Info on Next-Gen Apple TV

Did the U.S. Federal Communications Commission spill the beans about the next Apple TV model?

That's what some think happened today through an FCC filing that clearly points to a new Apple TV model that might be on the way. The unannounced Apple TV is listed as "A1469." Although few details can be derived from the filing, it is possible to detect some basic hardware differences.

For starters, we can tell the set-top box contains upgraded internal components, all of which are housed inside of a smaller form factor: 93.78mm square vs. 98mm (the current generation device size).

Regretfully for those of us looking for more details, the FCC document doesn't shed much light on other aspects of what is presumably the next-generation Apple TV. Given that the last Apple TV refresh came in almost one full year ago in March 2012, it's possible - if not probable - that we'll see the next-gen Apple TV sometime this quarter.

Source: FCC (via Engadget)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

I hope and pray its made to handle apps!!! That's all I want. Haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Then they didn't leak anything after all if this is all you could say in this article all previous versions hide everything internally so what are you saying and who doesn't know there will be a refresh ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

You wrote all of that and didn't tell us anything!!

Thanks

I stopped using my APTV cause it does not play apps. Other streamers do..can't wait till Apple finally applies a firmware update worthy of me using it again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's the advantages of jailbreaking an apple tv ?

Thanks

XBMC, Navi X, 1channel and Icefilm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slangg_ View Post
    In my eyes XBMC, as of right now my ATV3 gets used only for Netflix, As there is nothing else on the damn thing :-/

I'm mean I have NBA & some other American things on my home screen :-/ where is BBC Iplayer? Things that are of use to us UK peeps.
    Last edited by rocky5; 01-30-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

They're are a few tweax for it but its almost not worth the hassle. I had mine jailbroken for over a year and finally couldn't take all the rebooting and file retrieval issues. I'm just back to the regular OS and I'm happy w/ that.

BTW, I'm not sure this article is really news... We already assumed a new ATV was coming out!

Thanks

The only useful apps to me (if you want to call them apps) are YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, and Flickr. Airplay is also pretty awesome.

With a jailbroken ATV you can install other players, like XBMC and Plex. I have XBMC on mine. In short XBMC allows you to scour the internet for almost any video out there and play it on your AppleTV. Probably the most popular plugin is Ice Films, which allows you to stream virtually any movie you would like for free.

I use XBMC to stream television episodes that are archived on the web. Any video that is available for free on the web sites for Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, History Channel, AMC, etc. can be played on my 42" HDTV instead of having to watch it on my computer screen. Since I don't pay for television service, and therefore don't have a DVR, this feature is extremely useful.

A quick google search for "Why should I jailbreak my Apple TV" can turn up lots and lots of other benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    They're are a few tweax for it but its almost not worth the hassle. I had mine jailbroken for over a year and finally couldn't take all the rebooting and file retrieval issues.
    I wonder if you had something wrong with your ATV. Mine has been jailbroken for right at a year and I've never had those problems. I did upgrade the OS once, which meant I had to rejailbreak and reinstall XBMC and all the plugins - which is a royal pain in the butt - but once I got everything installed it ran quite smoothly.

What all tweaks did you install? All I have is XBMC.
    Last edited by AUZambo; 01-30-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    The only useful apps to me (if you want to call them apps) are YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, and Flickr. Airplay is also pretty awesome.

With a jailbroken ATV you can install other players, like XBMC and Plex. I have XBMC on mine. In short XBMC allows you to scour the internet for almost any video out there and play it on your AppleTV. Probably the most popular plugin is Ice Films, which allows you to stream virtually any movie you would like for free.

I use XBMC to stream television episodes that are archived on the web. Any video that is available for free on the web sites for Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, History Channel, AMC, etc. can be played on my 42" HDTV instead of having to watch it on my computer screen. Since I don't pay for television service, and therefore don't have a DVR, this feature is extremely useful.

A quick google search for "Why should I jailbreak my Apple TV" can turn up lots and lots of other benefits.

I wonder if you had something wrong with your ATV. Mine has been jailbroken for right at a year and I've never had those problems. I did upgrade the OS once, which meant I had to rejailbreak and reinstall XBMC and all the plugins - which is a royal pain in the butt - but once I got everything installed it ran quite smoothly.

What all tweaks did you install? All I have is XBMC.
    Not much! XBMC, Weather on the Homepage, and I can't remember what else! LOL! My ATV would randomly shut down A LOT & I'd sometimes 'lose' the directories to my computer so I couldn't access the folders I needed to stream movies. The ATV 'didn't work' more than it worked!! Eventually updated and never looked back..