+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: International Telecommunications Union Approves H.265 Video Codec

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default International Telecommunications Union Approves H.265 Video Codec

H.265, which is the next-generation video codec from the consortium that brought you the current Apple standard, H.264, has recently been approved by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). The ITU mentioned the following in a recently issued press release:

The new codec will considerably ease the burden on global networks where, by some estimates, video accounts for more than half of bandwidth use. The new standard, known informally as ‘High Efficiency Video Coding’ (HEVC) will need only half the bit rate of its predecessor, ITU-T H.264 / MPEG-4 Part 10 ‘Advanced Video Coding’ (AVC), which currently accounts for over 80 per cent of all web video. HEVC will unleash a new phase of innovation in video production spanning the whole ICT spectrum, from mobile devices through to Ultra-High Definition TV.
    The idea behind the whole concept seems great since the convenience is there; ie. downloading 1080p files that are half the size. We’ll end up seeing what file sizes we get up to once Ultra HD (4K, aka 2160p) releases. At four times the pixels, even half the size will be twice as big as 1080p. This is all of course if Apple chooses to adopt it and integrate support for it into iTunes and iOS devices, more specifically the Apple TV. Since 1080p was added just last year, the H.265 format, if adopted, will likely be a bit of a wait.

Regardless though, it’s nice to see technology taking its course of action and providing better quality for everyone.

Source: ITU

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

So,
    who owns the patents?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love to see apple drop a 2160p tv this year. That'd just dump all over Samsung's new tvs.

What's Jailbreak?
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    So,
    who owns the patents?
    This article has some information pertaining to Patent ownership of H.265. They claim ownership is unclear but MPEG Licensing Authority Which created a licensing agreement for H.264 that chip makers paid $0.25 per chip and a maximum of $12 million per vendor, is attempting to create a similar thing for H.265 but many companies are being hesitant as they want to collect their own royalties from it. Anyway all that information is in the article if you care to read it.

Patent snafus could delay new video codec

BTW the article was written June 25, 2012 so it is a little out of date now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierRican View Post
    This article has some information pertaining to Patent ownership of H.265. They claim ownership is unclear but MPEG Licensing Authority Which created a licensing agreement for H.264 that chip makers paid $0.25 per chip and a maximum of $12 million per vendor, is attempting to create a similar thing for H.265 but many companies are being hesitant as they want to collect their own royalties from it. Anyway all that information is in the article if you care to read it.

Patent snafus could delay new video codec

BTW the article was written June 25, 2012 so it is a little out of date now.
    Thanks.
    I already saw that.
    Of the holdouts from last June, it sounds like Samsung and Qualcomm are on board with MPEG-LA now.
    If there aren't any other "big guys" still on the ropes, maybe all the little guys will just go along.

The licensing models they discuss are kind of interesting though.
    Possible license fees for end-users?
    Possibly per use/ per view?!

Nice revenue model, if they can swing it.

In 2015, maybe instead of waiting for another iOS jailbreak
    we'll all be sitting round the campfire, waiting for v1d30-t3am to release a JB for H.265
    Last edited by raduga; 01-28-2013 at 01:44 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    I'd love to see apple drop a 2160p tv this year. That'd just dump all over Samsung's new tvs.
    They could release a 4K TV for only £1000 but it wouldn't matter because unless you have a 4K camera, you're only going to be watching 1080p content on it for at least 2 years. Currently the only decent delivery method is Sony sending you a computer to connect to your TV with each new film on a separate hard drive, which is completely insane. You're realisticlly going to need 100Mb/s Internet to download anything in a reasonable amount of time, yet 3/4 of the UK doesn't even have 5Mb/s…

4K is great but a 4K TV in your home in 2013? Absolutely pointless.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    LOL, you'd be lucky to see a 720i TV from Apple this year. They'll say its more than enough for anyone to need and then release a 1080i the following year. Maybe 2160 by the year 2160 from Apple standard of upgrading its hardware.