+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Rumored to be Testing LTE Network on Clearwire Spectrum

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Google Rumored to be Testing LTE Network on Clearwire Spectrum

Google recently filed a request with the FCC for a license to test a wireless network on its Mountain View campus. At least one observer believes the search giant is working on an LTE network of its own – one in possible preparation of entering the wireless provider sector on its own terms.

Steven Crowley, a consulting wireless engineer, wrote on his own personal site that the high level of confidentiality surrounding Google’s filings with the FCC is conspicuous, that even the company’s request for confidential treatment has had portions redacted. The filings also contain a number of other oddly redacted areas, including the output power of the devices being tested.

What all of this information leads Crowley to suspect is an LTE network may be in the works with a code being supplied on the form. The code F9W is used sometimes for LTE devices and it appears in Google’s filing for the emission designator. As Crowley noted, it isn’t possible to know what exactly may emerge from Google’s secretive wireless testing. The search company seems to have already rolled out a fiber-based Internet service in Kansas City, teasing a possible disruption of the wired Internet service industry. Analysts are estimating that rolling out such a service nationwide would cost roughly $140 billion.

Entering the wireless carrier market could prove an attractive option for Google, which has already been rumored to have engaged in talks with companies such as the Dish Network, which is also pondering to move into the wireless space. Whether Google moves into the wireless industry is a mystery in itself. The tests Google is currently carrying out are being conducted on a frequency range that is held by Clearwire, a group which Sprint has shares of. Ultimately, we’ll have to wait and see.

Source: Steven Crowley via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Googles got the money and in the long run could make a lot of money out of it. I can't see how it would be bad if Google were to start offering an LTE service of some kind as long as they remained competitive and didn't do things by half measures...

Thanks

Clearwire should totally do this "their 4G" speeds are slower then AT&T's 3G speeds.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Green Apple
    Thanks

If they can do something like google fiber except wireless then I'll sign up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The more wireless carries the better. We need more competition here to lower prices.

Thanks

Imagine getting an iPhone on google wireless...