+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Dumps Chinese Supplier Amidst Underage Labor Concerns

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is cutting ties with a Chinese component supplier in the wake of discovering that the supplier in question uses underage labor. News of Apple's decision came straight from its
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Dumps Chinese Supplier Amidst Underage Labor Concerns

Apple is cutting ties with a Chinese component supplier in the wake of discovering that the supplier in question uses underage labor.

News of Apple's decision came straight from its latest Supplier Responsibility Report, which was released yesterday as the seventh installment to date. The progress reports allow Apple to investigate manufacturing and supply partner behavior across a wide array of categories including labor and human rights, health and safety, and environment.

The comprehensive report alleges that Apple learned through a 2012 audit of Guangdong Real Faith Pingzhou Electronics (circuit board maker) that more than six-dozen underage labor violations had occurred under management. Apple's own code of labor clearly delineates acceptable policies for labor and the supplier at the center of this controversy was apparently in violation of such policies.
    Under Chief Executive Tim Cook, who took over from Steve Jobs in 2011, Apple has taken new steps to improve its record and boost transparency, including the extensive audits of its sprawling supply chain. Last year, it agreed to separate audits by the independent Fair Labor Association.
    Apple's senior vice president of operations Jeff Williams tells Reuters that Apple will do whatever it takes to ensure that there "are no under aged workers in its supply chain" and that working hours are limited to 60 hours per week.

Source: Reuters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Jerrystoner04 (01-25-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Damn! I guess I'll have to quit eating at my favorite pizza joint because the owners 15 yr old son works behind the counter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Damn! I guess I'll have to quit eating at my favorite pizza joint because the owners 15 yr old son works behind the counter.
    My guess is that it is not 14-15 year olds. But who knows.

Thanks

It is different when the "underage laborers" are being shown the ropes, in the expectation that they might BE the owner some day. When your boss is your dad, sure there's room for abuse. Especially if your dad is a jerk. But the kids in chinese factories are overwhelmingly, not the favored son of the owner. They are grunt labor they can hire cheaply, and abuse cheaply. And dispose cheaply when they're finished.

At your pizza joint, when the kid gets tired, or hurt, or sick, I bet he won't get thrown out on his bum.
    Dad has a lot more invested in the kid, than the company.

But at a factory where the owner is a corporation whose officers may never even visit,
    the welfare of the children who work there is completely outweighed by the economic utility vs liability.
    And the kids themselves may never even get paid, (if it goes to a parent or an "uncle") and derive no value from the transaction at all. The kid at the pizza place gets paid, and he's getting a personal stake in the enterprise.

Not really comparable at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    It is different when the "underage laborers" are being shown the ropes, in the expectation that they might BE the owner some day. When your boss is your dad, sure there's room for abuse. Especially if your dad is a jerk. But the kids in chinese factories are overwhelmingly, not the favored son of the owner. They are grunt labor they can hire cheaply, and abuse cheaply. And dispose cheaply when they're finished.

At your pizza joint, when the kid gets tired, or hurt, or sick, I bet he won't get thrown out on his bum.
    Dad has a lot more invested in the kid, than the company.

But at a factory where the owner is a corporation whose officers may never even visit,
    the welfare of the children who work there is completely outweighed by the economic utility vs liability.
    And the kids themselves may never even get paid, (if it goes to a parent or an "uncle") and derive no value from the transaction at all. The kid at the pizza place gets paid, and he's getting a personal stake in the enterprise.

Not really comparable at all.
    I was just being candid about the pizza joint

China is crazy to begin with as far as the welfare of children. Having more than one child (allowed only one per couple from my understanding) and the government will take the youngest away. As many more horror stories I've heard from my mother in law that witnessed horrible things concerning children, handicapped or not during her mission trip to Beijing last summer.
    Last edited by flash66; 01-25-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks

Little kids need to eat too...