+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Almost Became an Android Exclusive From Verizon

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
History would have been written much differently if Verizon had its druthers a few years ago. This week, the Huffington Post is taking a look back at the origins and
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Siri Almost Became an Android Exclusive From Verizon

History would have been written much differently if Verizon had its druthers a few years ago.

This week, the Huffington Post is taking a look back at the origins and launch of Siri, Apple's popular speech-powered virtual assistant. According to new information coming to light about the birth of Siri, this feature almost didn't happen for iOS. In fact, it was almost an Android asset.

In late 2009, well before Apple approached Siri, Verizon made a move to sign a deal with the startup in hopes of making Siri a default app on all Android phones to launch in 2010 and beyond. But then came Apple. The next year, Apple bought Siri under the terms of the virtual assistant remaining exclusive to Apple devices. As a result, the proposed Verizon deal was dead in the water.

“The way that Steve described it, speech recognition -- and how to use it to create a speech interface for something like the iPhone -- was an area of interest to him and Scott Forstall [then head of Apple's mobile software] for some time,” remembers Dag Kittlaus, Siri's co-founder and chief executive. “The story that I’m told is that he thought we’d cracked that paradigm with our simple, conversational interface.”

Speech recognition was apparently so important to Steve Jobs that Apple was more than willing to cough up somewhere between $150 to $250 million for the technology, which arrived on iOS in October 2011.

To read more about the history of Siri from the HP report, click here.

Source: Huffington Post

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

I barely use Siri on my iPhone 5

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

I use it more often than I thought I would. It's still lacking in a lot of areas. It'd be nice if you could just say something like "Hey Siri, open up my photos." *photos open* Go to a picture you want. "Send this picture to Jeff and tell him he sucks" * message sent.

That'd be cool...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Voice recognition is great, in theory. In practice it feels weird talking to an object. Especially when you have to enunciate every word perfectly. I wrote this with the dictation function, it works pretty good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I go snowboarding a lot, and use the built in my on the headphones to ask many questions and/or reply to texts calls etc. So much easier because it pauses my music automatically, plus I don't have to take my hands out of my gloves so they freeze !

*T*
    Thanks

It was the *only* selling point of the 4s. Obviously apple made its money off Siri

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    It was the *only* selling point of the 4s. Obviously apple made its money off Siri
    I'd had to disagree, the difference between the a4 chip and a5 is night and day. That was what sold me.

Thanks
    I use it all the time to make a call, texting and timer, I love it I really don't use all the feature of Siri but its bit bad to have it on my assume iphone5 lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I had Siri on my iphone 3GS.... waaaay before October 2011 buddy. It was an app before Apple bought it.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,295 Times in 5,961 Posts

Wow, awesome for you!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Edit: Deleted
    Last edited by wiipro; 02-07-2013 at 06:18 AM.