Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor Mill Blamed for AAPL Tanking

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Rumor Mill Blamed for AAPL Tanking

It was a bloody Monday for shares of Apple on Wall Street.

This morning, AAPL briefly dipped below $500 and is still trading toward market lows for the day, down $16.83 just after noon EST.

Several traders at the Chicago Board of Trade that I spoke with today conferred with industry analyst claims that the rumor mill has contributed significantly to the beat-down endured by AAPL in recent months.

Between rumors of Apple possibly releasing a cheaper entry-level iPhone later this year (a rumor that was subsequently debunked by Mr. Phil Schiller himself) to the latest reports of reduced iPhone 5 component orders in response to waning demand, there remains substantial concern among investors that Apple isn't presently in good shape for the year ahead.

It's been close to a year now since shares of Apple traded below $500. It goes without saying that the loss of a full year of gains is not a positive sign to investors that the immediate future will be any brighter than the recent past.

But the traders I spoke with believe that a fast and significant rebound could result from above-average earnings on January 23rd. Of course, if Apple doesn't beat the street, the free-fall on NASDAQ may continue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Ether way it still marks the beginning of the end. NO ONE stays on top forever. Unless apple can release a product as revolutionary as the iPhone or iPod I don't see them taking back a commanding lead. Especially with their staggered market campaign. Release a product just at current standards. Never anything game changing or wayy ahead of the curve. Time to make some changes and switch things up before both the technology from competitors innovates more and people stop purchasing old products.

He did not debunk it. Read again. A cheaper iPhone can easily be priced like the iPad mini and help reduce dependance on Samsung and rush the transition to Lightning. I'm guessing ~$350 plastic HSPA+ iPhone mini off contract with minimal storage (sells iCloud subscriptions) and a slightly smaller, 3GS-like screen (same resolution, higher DPI). That would fit what he said perfectly and be very attractive to T-Mobile and StraightTalk customers.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,342 Times in 2,108 Posts

Where are those analysts now that were claiming AAPL was going to be a $1000 share company??? Probably the same analysts that are giving us reasons why AAPL are now a $500 share...even they couldn't have predicted this much of a drop/plummet in the share price...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

The rumor mill does prematurely hurt stocks. Rumors should have more disclaimers against them. For the most part, rumors are junk, and people need to understand that.

Thanks

Poor Steve Jobs is rolling around in his grave right now

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    The rumor mill does prematurely hurt stocks. Rumors should have more disclaimers against them. For the most part, rumors are junk, and people need to understand that.
    This.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,031 Posts

I blame Zie Germanz! J/K...don't get all sensitive...it's from Snatch

People got tired of apple releasing sub-standard products like the iPhone 5 and ipad mini and calling them revolutionary. This is coming from an "Apple Fanboy" too! Samsung and the competition has not only caught up, but slowly is passing Apple, that's too bad, the Apple was revolutionary and industry leading since 2000.

with JB, it just trash...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought the iPhone 5 recently and while I love the bigger screen and the overall speed it's the same as my wife's 4s without a jailbreak it's so boring man I swear I almost bought a galaxy s3 but I played around with my friends and it just didn't seem as fluid plus with the possibility of the iPhone 5 jailbreak my decision was made but overall there is nothing innovative about it its not a game changing product it's just more refined is all from previous iPhones I miss themes so much the old boring homescreen is driving me nuts lol

Banned
    Thanks

Stiffer than expected competition, mediocre products (4S/5 & mini) and people tired of the same ol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    I bought the iPhone 5 recently and while I love the bigger screen and the overall speed it's the same as my wife's 4s without a jailbreak it's so boring man I swear I almost bought a galaxy s3 but I played around with my friends and it just didn't seem as fluid plus with the possibility of the iPhone 5 jailbreak my decision was made but overall there is nothing innovative about it its not a game changing product it's just more refined is all from previous iPhones I miss themes so much the old boring homescreen is driving me nuts lol
    Me too. Love that larger screen. And WAAY faster than my 4S was. I do also love how much thinner they made it. But SOOO bored without a JB. At least try using a different wallpaper. Apple LETS us do that much. I actually have a SIM adaptor and put my SIM back in my JB'en 4S several times a week to get some 'jb time' !! LOL!!

Get it while its on SALE...

Apple was doing well in Sept. because iOS 5.1.1 was great, iPhone 4s is still very impressive : great camera, Siri, Retina screen etc.
    Then they got greedy. Let's get rid of Google Maps , I love Apple but who do they think they are. They cannot do what Google does, period. Apple knows how to make computing power and systems so lets stick with that fellas. Then YouTube gone... What were they thinking there.
    Now Apple KNOWS that Jailbroken devices are more attractive to MANY customers... So why not let it happen, even if it's unofficial ( some say they do but there still isn't a break for iPhone 5 even though there is one for iOS 6 and 6.0.1). Get greedy, get dead.
    I hope they go back to doing what they do best. Let other co.'s do what they do best. Even if Apple does come up with a map system that is as accurate as Google's they will never have all the imaging data that Google has. Google drove a truck down almost every street in America to get all that imaging. I know Apple is not going to do that nor will they be able to buy that data from Google for they will never sell it and if they did the price would be so high it would never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by silvan619 View Post
    . Get greedy, get dead.
    I hope they go back to doing what they do best. Let other co.'s do what they do best. Even if Apple does come up with a map system that is as accurate as Google's they will never have all the imaging data that Google has. Google drove a truck down almost every street in America to get all that imaging. I know Apple is not going to do that nor will they be able to buy that data from Google for they will never sell it and if they did the price would be so high it would never happen.
    I agree with 92% of what you say there. But a couple of inaccuracies. It was Google who got greedy and wanted to charge Apple more for Maps and YouTube (Google owns YT as well) and Apple just said 'we can do maps too).. I agree, bad decision on Apple's part. Though if you've used it for little while Apple maps isn't really all that bad. The turn by turn directions is the only thing saving it. And it's very well implemented.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!