+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Zero Day Flaw Causes Apple to Quietly Block Java 7 from OS X

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple recently disabled the Java 7 plugin on Macs through its OS X anti-malware system as a precautionary measure to protect users from a potentially serious security issue. The newly
    Thanks

Default New Zero Day Flaw Causes Apple to Quietly Block Java 7 from OS X

Apple recently disabled the Java 7 plugin on Macs through its OS X anti-malware system as a precautionary measure to protect users from a potentially serious security issue. The newly discovered zero-day flaw in Java 7 is so serious that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned users to disable or uninstall it. According to the department’s Computer Emergency Readiness Team:

We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem. This vulnerability is being attacked in the wild, and is reported to be incorporated into exploit kits. Exploit code for this vulnerability is also available.
    Apple on the other hand seems to have taken measures to protect OS X users by quietly disabling the Java 7 plug-in according to MacRumors. The Cupertino California company accomplished this by updating the OS X “Xprotect.plist” file to require users to have installed an unreleased version of Java “1.80_10-b19.”

This isn’t the first time Apple has had issues with Java security either. Apple stopped building its own in-house Java updates last year, handing off the responsibility to Oracle. Since then Java was a part of what was the most serious malware threat to the Mac, dubbed “Flashback.” The Trojan was estimated to have infected 600,000 Macs worldwide last year before Oracle and Apple released Java patches to remove the malware. We’ll have to wait and see if either push a patch to help provide security against the current threat.

Source: MacRumors, ZDNet
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 01-12-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

dubbed "Flasback."
    Did you mean Flashback?

Also, how do u disable it? Or uninstall? Because i know that i have Definitely installed java.
    Last edited by iH85CH001; 01-12-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks

It only block the Java we browserplug-in, not Java itself, misleading headline.

My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Thanks

Who the heck needs java? Write once, debug everywhere.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

In other news: Apple's actions "break" millions of computers without warning! I can imagine business which needed Java for their daily applications being particularly upset at this inelegant solution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    In other news: Apple's actions "break" millions of computers without warning! I can imagine business which needed Java for their daily applications being particularly upset at this inelegant solution.
    They haven't block Java they blocked the Java web plugin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    To an extent his point still stands.
    Most websites that use Java interact using the plugin, not the external Java VM. For example, the NOAA NWS looping radar only worked while Java's web plugin is active. This effectively disabled the java applet.

Applications/Programs that one downloads which use Java run in the VM directly. To me, that is a bigger issue as people can download and run a 'bad' app and that alone could wreck a system.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

The Beta version of Java 7 runs fine. I would suggest rolling back to Java 6..at least that is what I did.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How do I prevent Apple having the ability to remotely disable or enable anything on MY machine? Turn off the Anti-Malware "feature"?
    Most companies would issue a security notice, not forcibly disable something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Most companies would issue a security notice, not forcibly disable something.
    No most anti viruses disable things automatically, that is there job.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As someone else mentioned you don't need java 7... Java 6 is fine..

sad
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Silly we need java
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Who the heck needs java? Write once, debug everywhere.....
    Actually most of the Danish population need java ;-(

Really sad, but a security system for Danes requires java ,-( And it's not even a joke. Beforehand we were using a pair of public/secret keys to this; but a couple of years ago, some smart people made this new really secure system (sorry remark heavy use of ironi in my sentence).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    The Beta version of Java 7 runs fine. I would suggest rolling back to Java 6..at least that is what I did.
    Uhh, that's not the point. Even the vulnerable one "runs fine."

No most anti viruses disable things automatically, that is there job.
    No. Most disable malicious things automatically and recommend other security-related changes.

Which a TON of custom business apps use. Why do you think so many companies stuck with IE6 for so ridiculously long? IE7 broke compatibility with their custom business apps, many of which were web-enabled Java applications on internal networks. Hald the point of using Java is to make it run on various clients (Mac and PC) using a standard browser with JavaVM installed.

Does the tool automatically disable Java 7 and roll-back to Java 6?