+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beats' Jimmy Iovine says he tried to push Jobs toward a Music Subscription Service

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Beats' Jimmy Iovine says he tried to push Jobs toward a Music Subscription Service

In a recent interview with All Things D, Beats Audio’s CEO, Jimmy Iovine, said that he spent three years trying to persuade late Apple cofounder Steve jobs to start a subscription-based streaming music service over a decade ago before the whole idea gained popularity. According to the report, Iovine tried to push Jobs into launching a subscription service while working with him in 2002 and 2003 as head of record label Interscope Geffen. Iovine said the following regarding the matter:

So I met [Jobs] and we hit it off right away. We were really close," Iovine said. "We did some great marketing stuff together: 50 Cent, Bono, Jagger, stuff for the iPod — we did a lot of stuff together. But I was always trying to push Steve into subscription. And he wasn’t keen on it right away.
    He continued by saying that Jobs was interested in the concept but “didn’t want to pay record companies enough,” believing that the economics would eventually become more favorable. Iovine didn’t talk about Apple’s current efforts but did mention in passing that he would be meeting Eddy Cue, Apple’s chief of media, “soon.” He wasn’t pressed for more details as the interview moved to Iovine’s upcoming subscription product named Project Daisy. The project is said to be a collaboration with Beats that looks to outdo existing services such as Rhapsody, MOG and Rdio.

The CEO will likely be looking to leverage his substantial backing as a high-ranking executive at Universal Music Group, which owns Interscope Geffen, to drive curated content to users. It was previously rumored that Apple was looking to create an internet radio service similar to Pandora but no such product or service has been announced. We’ll have to wait and see if Apple does bring such an idea to fruition.

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Doing streaming music 10 years ago would have been a terrible idea. Terrible networks for computers and worse networks for phones. Not to mention it would have undermined the growth of iTunes. iTunes had so much success it was easy for them to negotiate deals with publishers so they could do the same for video and books. It would have undermined the very thing that secured their foothold Apple would have been much worse.

Most people are on the free plan so the income generated is much less than what they made from selling the actually music even if they had a better ad system than current providers. Not to mention it's far to easy to jump ship. I've dropped Pandora for Slacker with two clicks on my phone. What would have kept Apple from being dropped first sign of issues like everyone has done with Maps?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REMED1AL View Post
    Doing streaming music 10 years ago would have been a terrible idea. Terrible networks for computers and worse networks for phones. Not to mention it would have undermined the growth of iTunes. iTunes had so much success it was easy for them to negotiate deals with publishers so they could do the same for video and books. It would have undermined the very thing that secured their foothold Apple would have been much worse.

Most people are on the free plan so the income generated is much less than what they made from selling the actually music even if they had a better ad system than current providers. Not to mention it's far to easy to jump ship. I've dropped Pandora for Slacker with two clicks on my phone. What would have kept Apple from being dropped first sign of issues like everyone has done with Maps?
    +1

I think Jobs was right not to get into it at that time. iTunes has had a lot of success so I think he made the right choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 856 Posts

Agreed! 10 years ago I was rockin a Nokia 8120 and SMS was free!!!! That technology wouldn't have worked back then...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

please do so i would love a unlimited iTunes store download service