+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Poised to Leave Today's 'Smart TVs' Looking Pretty Stupid

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
This week in Las Vegas, the tech giants at CES 2013 have been vying to impress the masses with its new line of so-called smart TVs. As MMi covered in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Poised to Leave Today's 'Smart TVs' Looking Pretty Stupid

This week in Las Vegas, the tech giants at CES 2013 have been vying to impress the masses with its new line of so-called smart TVs.

As MMi covered in depth on Tuesday, Samsung is busy showing off everything from a 55-inch OLED TV with Multi-View features to Evolution Kits that promise to keep TVs up to date and as "smart" as a hunk of equipment can possibly be.

But is everyone really that impressed by what they've seen at CES this year? Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets isn't. He says the "smart TVs" at CES "really aren't that smart." Not surprisingly, White has bigger hopes for Apple's smart TV plans.

In particular, White points out how Samsung appears to have blatantly ripped off the Siri logo with the creation of Samsung's "S-Recommendation" voice control technology. "Needless to say," White says, "we were less than impressed with Samsung's smart TV user interface and capabilities at the show."

After attending CES this year, White concluded that it has now been left to Apple to truly reinvent the HDTV experience.

Source: Wall Street Cheat Sheet

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

and time will tell if they can pull it off. Fingers crossed

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Another apple v Samsung law suit methinks?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i=If steve jobs didnt write down his ideas for a smart tv then i think apple will have a hard time.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    i=If steve jobs didnt write down his ideas for a smart tv then i think apple will have a hard time.
    Dude jobs knew he was dying. He gave out all his ideas and plans before doing so. So many that alot of devices and ideas for the next 5 years or so are still Steve related.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

And again, I am very curious to see what you guys all think would make this happen?

What features on a TV will absolutely "blow your mind"?

I'm not trying to insult anyone but, like I mentioned in the other post related to this, there are hundreds of other peripheral devices we all (well, most) attach to our televisions that do what these "smart tvs" do, and VERY well...

Are they going to come with an "xbox app" that, the need to own an xbox console obsolete? or ps3? Video streaming capabilities like NetFlix, Hulu and the like are the only "apps" on a TV that make sense but, I will definitely be able to live without as my xbox does this just fine...

I'm sorry but being able to "interact" with a TV without the use of a remote just scares the crap out of me, are we seriously too lazy to pick up the 2 oz remote control to change the channel, pause or adjust volume?
    Last edited by PSYC0TIC ONE; 01-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSYC0TIC ONE View Post
    And again, I am very curious to see what you guys all think would make this happen?

What features on a TV will absolutely "blow your mind"?

I'm not trying to insult anyone but, like I mentioned in the other post related to this, there are hundreds of other peripheral devices we all (well, most) attach to our televisions that do what these "smart tvs" do, and VERY well...

Are they going to come with an "xbox app" that, the need to own an xbox console obsolete? or ps3? Video streaming capabilities like NetFlix, Hulu and the like are the only "apps" on a TV that make sense but, I will definitely be able to live without as my xbox does this just fine...

I'm sorry but being able to "interact" with a TV without the use of a remote just scares the crap out of me, are we seriously too lazy to pick up the 2 oz remote control to change the channel, pause or adjust volume?
    I gotta agree! There's not much more Apple could do w/ making a TV unless they incorporate their OS into it and make it a TV/Mac w/ Siri control & dictation. It also needs to be super-thin or else it'll fail right out of the gate.

And, of course, it has to integrate w/ iDevices so they could act as a remote, if desired

Lastly! Maybe it could house its own router so wireless connectivity doesn't have to travel through 'another' external device

So...heres the setup:
    -Apple HDTV/Mac combo unit w/ wireless router
    -Stand alone macs connect wirelessly through TV for Internet
    -iDevices connect wirelessly through TV for Internet
    -Easy streaming of content from any Apple product to the TV w/ faster transfer rates since you only have one access point
    Last edited by thazsar; 01-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

-.(\

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    -.(\
    ^ What the heck is that?!?! LOL!

Banned
    Thanks

If Apple make a TV to their usual standards we will get a good looking TV but it'll be locked up so tight we wont be able to change channels.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I LoL at all those thinking the iTV will be the end all of TV's. It will be WAY over priced but that won't stop all the iSuckers from picking one up and then gushing all about it. What will/can it do that I can't do right now with any number of devices I have? I have apple TV for apps, can stream pretty much anything with my Xbox, or Blueray player. Unless it gives me fellatio, no thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    I LoL at all those thinking the iTV will be the end all of TV's. It will be WAY over priced but that won't stop all the iSuckers from picking one up and then gushing all about it. What will/can it do that I can't do right now with any number of devices I have? I have apple TV for apps, can stream pretty much anything with my Xbox, or Blueray player. Unless it gives me fellatio, no thanks.
    iSuckers, nice one.....................

Smart TV's are going to be way overpriced for the next few years at least. I think it's going to be awhile til they really catch on.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

The only problem is going to be cost! With the current batch of TV's from CES being hugely expensive, it doesn't take that much of a leap of faith to figure that an Apple TV will be more expensive that a non-Apple TV. So I am not looking forward to a $5000 to $10000 40" Apple TV. And this being said by an Apple fan...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My guess this new TV will have a very high compression/decompression software, to allow higher resolution content to be streamed to the TV without hitting your data limit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    The only problem is going to be cost! With the current batch of TV's from CES being hugely expensive, it doesn't take that much of a leap of faith to figure that an Apple TV will be more expensive that a non-Apple TV. So I am not looking forward to a $5000 to $10000 40" Apple TV. And this being said by an Apple fan...
    Yeah, I have to agree. A 'smart' TV means it's not just a TV, it's also a computer. I'd imagine pricing would be the same as a TV and Mac (and likely DVR set-top box) combined.

Thanks

FYI, I'm a huge fan of Samsung TVs. I don't use all the extra features, though, cuz I just need it to be a TV that looks good!

Doubt I'd buy an iTV if it ever comes out unless it does 'something' mind-blowing that I couldnt live without...

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree. A 'smart' TV means it's not just a TV, it's also a computer. I'd imagine pricing would be the same as a TV and Mac (and likely DVR set-top box) combined.
    Yup!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,603 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I gotta agree! There's not much more Apple could do w/ making a TV unless they incorporate their OS into it and make it a TV/Mac w/ Siri control & dictation. It also needs to be super-thin or else it'll fail right out of the gate.

And, of course, it has to integrate w/ iDevices so they could act as a remote, if desired

Lastly! Maybe it could house its own router so wireless connectivity doesn't have to travel through 'another' external device

So...heres the setup:
    -Apple HDTV/Mac combo unit w/ wireless router
    -Stand alone macs connect wirelessly through TV for Internet
    -iDevices connect wirelessly through TV for Internet
    -Easy streaming of content from any Apple product to the TV w/ faster transfer rates since you only have one access point
    I think Apple will come up with all of that and more. Why couldn't they implement touch characteristics from the iPad, iOS functionality of the iPhone so all your alerts come thru as they do on ur iPhone but in an expanded form. There is HUGE potential to up end the TV market and I for one welcome the thought or fact of Apple shaking up or putting worry into other competitors. The consumer ends up with a better product. Roll forth the Apple HDTV...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I think Apple will come up with all of that and more. Why couldn't they implement touch characteristics from the iPad, iOS functionality of the iPhone so all your alerts come thru as they do on ur iPhone but in an expanded form. There is HUGE potential to up end the TV market and I for one welcome the thought or fact of Apple shaking up or putting worry into other competitors. The consumer ends up with a better product. Roll forth the Apple HDTV...
    Honestly, the only kind of TV I'd be interested in is holographic. Everything else that's still stuck on a screen isn't that fascinating to me...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I laugh at the reporting here sometimes. Surely you are well enough versed in Apple products and releases to know, an Apple HDTV will very likely be nothing more than a TV with an Apple TV box built into it. No OLED, no Retina, just plain old LCD and not the thinnest.
    Especially the first gen device. The second gen might get a FaceTime camera.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I laugh at the reporting here sometimes. Surely you are well enough versed in Apple products and releases to know, an Apple HDTV will very likely be nothing more than a TV with an Apple TV box built into it. No OLED, no Retina, just plain old LCD and not the thinnest.
    Especially the first gen device. The second gen might get a FaceTime camera.
    Yep! I'm thinkin the same thing!