Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Alerts Developers of New App Store Screenshot Restrictions

Default Apple Alerts Developers of New App Store Screenshot Restrictions

One of the many important parts of Apple's App Store is the ability to view screenshots of an application before you download it. Many of us take a look at the screenshots before downloading our applications, and if we like what we see, we will probably give the application a try.

Apple has sent out an E-mail to developers alerting them that beginning January 9th, they will not be able to change the screenshots displayed for their applications in the App Store without releasing an update to the application or releasing a new application. The e-mail from Apple, via iClarified, reads:

Beginning January 9, app screenshots will be locked in iTunes Connect once your app has been approved. New screenshots may be uploaded when you submit a binary for an update to an existing app or a new app. For more information on capturing and using screenshots, read the Xcode User Guide.
    The reasoning for the change is unknown, however it will be more stressful for developers, but potentially better for App Store users.

It could be disastrous for developers, since any mistakes that might occur in the screenshots would remain until the developer pushes an update for the application. On the other hand, it could be better for the App Store users, since it can help fight the risk of scams that might advertise something completely different in the screenshots than what is actually being sold.

Sources: iClarified
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-09-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Reasoning for the change is unknown? I'm sure it's to solve those fake apps - I've seen probably up to a hundred fake apps just in top charts, not counting ripoff apps. As a developer of free software, it's ridiculous some people are charging money for such stupid products (though the people who never thought of reading ratings of a 1 star app deserve it, somewhat). I always wondered how fake minecraft apps could submit blatant PC photos, I sure hope people will be looking at real screenshots, at least more than they do ratings and reviews.