+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Raises The Bar for Apple with New Smart TVs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Samsung Raises The Bar for Apple with New Smart TVs

Apple may be yet to confirm its plans to produce a connected HDTV sometime this year or next, but the industry is already bracing for Apple's inevitable entry into this market. But thanks to the announcements coming out of the Consumer Electronics Shows in Las Vegas this week, Samsung has already begun setting the bar pretty high in the smart TV department.

Last night, Samsung showed off a 55-inch OLED TV with a most innovative display. The F9500 is the world’s first television to offer Samsung’s Multi-View feature, a unique feature that "allows the TV to become a truly personal experience." How so? For starters, the TV lets two viewers enjoy two different programs simultaneously in full HD. This feature is enabled by Samsung’s special 3D glasses, which come with personal built-in speakers.

But it's the smart components of the televisions that have most CES spectators buzzing today.
    Each flagship Samsung Smart TV comes with a Smart Evolution slot at the back of the TV that allows consumers to easily update the hardware and software on their TVs so that they can stay up-to-date with the latest innovations.
    By adding the Evolution Kit to their 2012 Smart TVs, Samsung says, consumers "can enjoy a redesigned Smart Hub, enhanced Voice Interaction and Motion Control, as well as a quad-core chipset for increased processing power."

Flagship 2013 Smart TVs will also be equipped with slots for future Smart Evolution kits.

“As the plethora of apps and content grow, consumers are faced with the overwhelming challenge of discovering quality content that appeals to their interests. They are looking for ways to experience converged content, and they want to do it easily,” said Kim Hyun-Suk, Executive Vice President and Head of Visual Display business at Samsung Electronics. “We have simplified the process with TVs that offer more intuitive features, endless connectivity and content options, and larger screen sizes with true-to-life picture quality. Consumers can now enjoy the ultimate lean back experience, which is richer and easier than ever before.”

If you're looking for a release date or pricing information, Samsung is yet to release both.

Source: Samsung

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Come on apple! What's the hold up? Release something already!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

That frame is ugly as hell.

This is what happens when Samsung can't copy Apple.

Thanks

This is somewhat old technology... Range Rover had something similar more then 2 years back in their built-in Sat-Nav without the need for any glasses as you can see in this URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPEYOidkHw

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Sony did the two different screens using 3d not long ago for gaming with their 3d tv.

Neat concept for gaming but for normal tv not so much.

Side question: how is this really apple related. Apple hasn't even mentioned a tv and the amount of TVs being announced at CES could all be "raising the bar" but no need to really talk about them.
    Last edited by Cer0; 01-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post

seriously? lmao they have to bring it out on something.... that was tooooo funny. there is like no bezel on this thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The frame is for display purposes only

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    seriously? lmao they have to bring it out on something.... that was tooooo funny. there is like no bezel on this thing.
    So.... they just forgot to do a stand because they were working too hard on the bezel????!!! Wtf?

No design sense at all!

Quote Originally Posted by tabit View Post
    Obviously. Wtf else does a frame do?

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Come on apple! What's the hold up? Release something already!!!
    Come on hogcia! What's the hold up? Release something already!!!

Thanks

Kudos to them but I expected more but not a bad attempt at all. I had this idea that the TV would basically be a sheet of clear glass when off and something hologromatic in effect when on.
    THAT is likely to make me spend money where I don't need to/can't afford to.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung Engine Hoist
    [QUOTE=KraXik;6736045]That frame is ugly as hell. <<< You can use it for an engine hoist!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

KraXik (01-08-2013)

Thanks

Smart TVs are pretty much useless. If I want to check the weather, news, email, or social-anything, I just use my phone / tablet.

Thanks

[QUOTE=thevmax;6736079][QUOTE=KraXik;6736045 That frame is ugly as hell. <<< You can use it for an engine hoist! [/QUOTE]

Great idea!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Please get your stories right. The TV in your picture is actually an 85" TV, not 55". And they have one in 110" inches, so for TVs that size, I think a stand like that is appropriate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    Please get your stories right. The TV in your picture is actually an 85" TV, not 55". And they have one in 110" inches, so for TVs that size, I think a stand like that is appropriate.
    Glad they didn't make a 300". The stand would end up being several cranes. Still look like a poorly designed piece of **** though so they can put a Samsung badge on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tabit View Post
    Actually, no it's not. That's the stand that it (85" Ultra HD) comes with - an easel. They cover it on CNET.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, that didn't set the bar high at all. From what I gather about the itv, apple is working with cable companies to use with their TVs. Not to mention the Samsung update feature is stupid. Why not just make it wifi do you can stay up to date with a software upgrade? I can see notification banners on the iTV for all your social needs as well as a FaceTime camera to boot. Not impressed by this TV. Not much different than a regular TV.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad they didn't make a 300". The stand would end up being several cranes. Still look like a poorly designed piece of **** though so they can put a Samsung badge on it.
    Dude you're not funny just stop. Get a life. Just because your apple mind doesn't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unlike its competitors, Samsung’s version of the new hotness in TV uses a rather large stand, reminiscent of a school-yard swing-set. The stand isn’t just for show, however. Inside is the TV’s 120-watt audio system, as well as a camera used for the company’s gesture-control software.

Read more: Samsung unleashes 2013 TV line-up, prices 85-inch Ultra HD and 55-inch OLED | Digital Trends
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Minimalistic Master
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,347 Times in 2,189 Posts

Apple fans are really funny

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schnedi For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (01-08-2013), Jj2345 (01-08-2013), King_O_Hill (01-08-2013)