+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Safari Turns Ten Years Old Today - Happy Birthday!

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Safari Turns Ten Years Old Today - Happy Birthday!

Like Apple’s Safari Web browser or not, the default Mac OS X Web browser comes pre-installed on every Mac OS X machine to date. Today, Apple’s Safari turns 10 years old, as it was made available for the first time as a public beta to Mac users on January 7th, 2003.

Mac users also have a lot of popular third-party Web browsers to choose from as an alternative to Safari, such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera. They are generally chosen over Safari for the additional features, or speed improvements.

Since it’s debut, Safari has been made available on both Mac OS X and Windows. However, with the launch of the latest Safari 6 for Mac OS X, Apple appears to have ended complete support for Windows, as the latest Windows version of Safari is 5.1.7, while the latest version of Safari for Mac OS X is 6.0.2.

Safari has grown a lot since its original release, adopting new features including the faster nitro-JavaScript engine, unibar search bar, offline reading mode, iCloud syncing, full-screen mode, and much more. It has also come to Apple's mobile world of iOS, often called Mobile Safari.

Sources: Apple via TUAW

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default safari aint the best web browser
    I do not like it, it takes too much power from my computer!
    I've checked activity monitor to compare between safari and chrome, chrome wins!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reymago23 View Post
    I do not like it, it takes too much power from my computer!
    I've checked activity monitor to compare between safari and chrome, chrome wins!
    There must be other factors involved because I have seen the exact opposite. both Chrome and Firefox take up a lot more resources, even when idling, than Safari, although Opera seems to be quicker for me than Safari.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    There must be other factors involved because I have seen the exact opposite. both Chrome and Firefox take up a lot more resources, even when idling, than Safari, although Opera seems to be quicker for me than Safari.
    Yep, Safari is nice and light. I use it and I never have it hog my resources unlike FireFox and Crome.

Thanks

I stopped using Safari and Mail years ago. They are horrible. Chrome, Firefox and Thunderbird for me.