+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Paid $6 Billion in Taxes Last Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Paid $6 Billion in Taxes Last Year

The New York Times wrote a piece on the different methods Apple uses to sidestep “billions in corporate taxes” earlier this year. Similar to many other articles on the topic, it portrayed Apple in a not-so-favorable light. Despite all the workarounds, Apple says it still pays a significant amount in income taxes. According to a recent statement, it paid over $6 billion in U.S. taxes during its fiscal 2012, accounting for $1 out of every $40 collected from corporations.

Congressional investigators are in the process of finishing their probe into the accounting practices of Apple and other tech companies that involves allocating revenue and intellectual property offshore to avoid paying often-higher U.S. and federal income taxes. According to The Times report:

In its statement, Apple said it paid “an enormous amount of taxes” to local, state and federal governments. “In fiscal 2012 we paid $6 billion in federal corporate income taxes, which is 1 out of every 40 dollars in corporate income taxes collected by the U.S. government,” it said.
    While $6 billion is a large number, it’s only a fraction of the taxes Apple would be paying if it wasn’t so good at avoiding them. It’s believed that the company has found legal ways to allocate about 70% of its profits overseas, where taxes are much lower overall. It’s found ways to avoid paying billions of dollars in taxes here in the U.S. as well. More recently, the company has begun re-routing its revenue through offices in Reno, because California taxes corporations roughly 8% and Nevada charges 0%.

It should be pointed out that Apple isn’t the only company doing this either. Apple is only in the lime light due to the large success it has had, making it a much bigger target. Although there isn’t anything technically illegal about the whole procedure, one can’t help feel like the move is immoral for all those not directly involved with the company.

Source: The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple pays no tax in Australia which is just wrong, and I believe none in the UK either. Nor do many other big companies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
    Apple pays no tax in Australia which is just wrong, and I believe none in the UK either. Nor do many other big companies.
    You silly person, taxes are for people who can't afford lawyers, everyone knows that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
    60%+ people in the US don't pay taxes and get away with it.

Thanks

Well they pay them in the good ol US of A. Not really concerned with those countries as i don't live there. All big companies pay lawyers to figure out ways to save $$. Its the only way to maximize profits and reduce spending. Whats good for the goose...:]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Well they pay them in the good ol US of A. Not really concerned with those countries as i don't live there. All big companies pay lawyers to figure out ways to save $$. Its the only way to maximize profits and reduce spending. Whats good for the goose...:]
    That's a terrible attitude. What I think you mean though is, 'It doesn't seem to affect me so I don't care'.
    There are lots of things that happen outside of the US that I bet your countrymen, (and mine I might add), have their big noses stuck into.

We all have to take some responsibility though. I like the prices of my goods to be as low as possible and to this end I turn a blind eye to certain corporate nefarious goings on to make it stay that way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Well school shootings don't happen in my country so I don't care about the ones in the USA, in fact I like them, they made good news and keep population under control.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Well school shootings don't happen in my country so I don't care about the ones in the USA, in fact I like them, they made good news and keep population under control.
    I see what you did just there. Let me get on my fireproof suit whilst I watch the reaction.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    60%+ people in the US don't pay taxes and get away with it.
    The difference is most of the people in the U.S don't make enough money to pay taxes if they wanted to.