+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fusion Drive Now An Option for Low-end 21.5-inch iMac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In October, Apple announced the newer, thinner iMac. Apple also announced with it a new storage option called the Fusion Drive , which was Apple’s answer to bringing hybrid storage
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Fusion Drive Now An Option for Low-end 21.5-inch iMac

In October, Apple announced the newer, thinner iMac. Apple also announced with it a new storage option called the Fusion Drive, which was Apple’s answer to bringing hybrid storage drives on the Mac platform.

As MacRumors reports, Apple has now made their new Fusion Drive available as a storage option for the low-end 2.7Ghz quad-core Intel Core i5 version of the 21.5-inch iMac. It was recently only available as a storage option for the 2.9Ghz quad-core Intel Core i5 version of the 21.5-inch iMac.

Hybrid storage drives, like the Fusion Drive, meet consumers on two important dimensions that are considered when selecting storage options for a machine. The flash storage part of the drive will drive the computer with very fast read and write speeds, while the hard disk storage part of the drive will offer larger sums of affordable storage than flash memory can give us at this day and age.

The Fusion Drive will move applications that you use the most to the flash storage part of the drive so that they open faster. Applications that you don't use very much will be moved to the hard disk storage so they aren't constricting the availability of your flash storage.

Adding the 1TB Fusion Drive to your new 2.7Ghz quad-core Intel Core i5 21.5-inch iMac will only set you back an additional $250.

Sources: Apple via MacRumors

Thanks

So what size hard drive do u get if u don't opt for the 1tb fusion drive?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    So what size hard drive do u get if u don't opt for the 1tb fusion drive?
    1TB 5400RPM hard disk drive for $250 less than the Fusion Drive.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

bmwraw8482 (01-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    1TB 5400RPM hard disk drive for $250 less than the Fusion Drive.
    Thanks... So is it really worth the upgrade? It would b one thing if it were at least more storage..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Thanks... So is it really worth the upgrade? It would b one thing if it were at least more storage..
    I'll tell you one thing fusion drives are genius! I'm already using an ssd drive and an external 1tb drive and a 250 ssd. Ssd's are extremely fast as in the files are already plugged into the computer it doesn't have to search for the files so its great for applications/games, it uses flash tech which is on mobile things especially because of heat and speed. The hard drive will be good for large files and bulk etc like your photos and music. I highly recommend the fusion drive!