+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Department of Defense Bucks iOS for Windows 8

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default U.S. Department of Defense Bucks iOS for Windows 8

The U.S. Department of Defense is taking a pass on iOS. That much is clear from today's announcement from the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force and DISA.

On Friday, The United States Department of Defense confirmed that 75% of its staff will be equipped with Microsoft's Windows 8, Office 2013, and SharePoint 2013 Enterprise.

From today's announcement:

In an effort to modernize technology infrastructure, reduce costs and foster new levels of cross-agency collaboration, the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force and Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) are expanding access to Microsoft solutions by entering into a transformative three-year Joint Enterprise Licensing Agreement for enterprise licenses and software assurance.
    Although the DoD has already used Microsoft products for a considerable length of time, the decision to embrace Windows 8 came as a surprise to many, especially given the recent government agency appetite for iOS.

“There’s a move afoot throughout the department to bring about efficiencies in the [information technology] world,” David L. DeVries, DOD deputy chief information officer, said Friday. “We took a long, hard look at it … realizing that the Department of Defense relies upon the network and upon information technology to do its business.”

Source: U.S. Department of Defense

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Windows 8 phones/tablets or computers? or both?
    Article doesnt specify.

Personally it doesn't matter what they use and they use what works best for their needs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default ok
    go windows!!!

pjw
    Green Apple
    Thanks

The DOD has always been windows, this really isnt anything new...

Banned
    Thanks

So its not just the jailbreakers that are leaving for other devices.
    IOS is starting to suck even worse than before and everyone knows this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StanSmith For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (01-04-2013)

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AWESOME, not only that but also a drop in MAC sales, not that i'm glad the company is hurting, just that maybe this will mean an entire new look on how apple does business, specially seing how Windows has modernized it's entire mobile and PC platforms, hopefully this i'll finally make them realize IOS is getting really old and needs a real change, and not just a color changing banner, and a worthless Maps app.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max53389 View Post
    Windows 8 phones/tablets or computers? or both?
    Article doesnt specify.
    In Essany's first paragraph, the last sentence say's, "The United States Department of Defense confirmed that 75% of its staff will be equipped with Microsoft's Windows 8, Office 2013, and SharePoint 2013 Enterprise."

The second paragraph say's, "Although the official word didn't reference mobile devices, it is being almost universally assumed that the department's adoption of all things Windows will include mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets."

What do you mean when you say the article doesn't "specify?"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    In Essany's first paragraph, the last sentence say's, "The United States Department of Defense confirmed that 75% of its staff will be equipped with Microsoft's Windows 8, Office 2013, and SharePoint 2013 Enterprise."

The second paragraph say's, "Although the official word didn't reference mobile devices, it is being almost universally assumed that the department's adoption of all things Windows will include mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets."

Or, you could actually read the source and see that there's no mention of Windows Phone or Win8RT. Mobility is mentioned briefly and based on my experience with the DoD and Insight I'm pretty sure they're referring to notebooks and not tablets. In other words, nothing earth shattering in this MS press release. "Universally assumed" is a bit of a stretch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    Or, you could actually read the source and see that there's no mention of Windows Phone or Win8RT. Mobility is mentioned briefly and based on my experience with the DoD and Insight I'm pretty sure they're referring to notebooks and not tablets. In other words, nothing earth shattering in this MS press release. "Universally assumed" is a bit of a stretch.
    The Military already uses Windows, they have for years. And yes, I agree that they are most likely speaking notebooks, and not tablets. And, I also agree, ""Universally assumed"is a bit of a stretch." That is what you get with Essany. A bit of a stretch!

Thanks

The Military already uses Windows, they have for years. And yes, I agree that they are most likely speaking notebooks, and not tablets. And, I also agree, ""Universally assumed"is a bit of a stretch." That is what you get with Essany. A bit of a stretch!
    "No I swear it's 6 inches! It's just cold in here." Essany muttered to her.
    "Now if you had said 3 or 4 I might believe that but 6 inches is just a bit too much of a stretch!!!" She replied to him.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice upgrade from xp and office 2007 at least

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    So its not just the jailbreakers that are leaving for other devices.
    IOS is starting to suck even worse than before and everyone knows this.
    Know who else refused to use IOS? Hitler.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

I work for the Air Force and I can tell you I am so glad they did this. As long as IOS is limited the way it is, they will NEVER fit the use of the military or businesses at that matter. Hopefully with a new person over iOS now, it will start to open up in its versatility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    "no i swear it's 6 inches! It's just cold in here." essany muttered to her.
    "now if you had said 3 or 4 i might believe that but 6 inches is just a bit too much of a stretch!!!" she replied to him.
    exactly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The article was updated with the second paragraph (click original artical) and I was mainly looking for if they were using windows phones/tablets since they didn't mention it in the article but assumed they are ditching iOS

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

A lot of people and companies are getting rid of ios. There's only so much you can do with it. You can only do what apple wants to allow you to do,
    Especially with the DOD, they want to be able to have operational capabilities, for example: the control and monitoring of the RQ-11 Raven, Predator, or Global Hawks and any other drone whether it be aerial, land, or naval based. They also want each unit to be able to have a GPS system of real time battlefield conditions. With that they can see where other squads/units, armor, CAS, etc... are located. You have a major advantage with that capability.
    None of that is possible with a closed OS like apple provides, unless of course they open it for the DOD but that's not going to happen. It's easier to go with windows for those abilities. I'm sure there are many more reasons they are ditching iOS but I guarantee those are some major factors.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It also says iOS. Which is the mobile software...

The government is constantly switching its software, due to customizability for their own software. It probably has to do with customizing a lot of hardware too which apple makes overly difficult

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    It also says iOS. Which is the mobile software...
    Essay said iOS. Not the source. But then again, the source was a Microsoft press release...

The DoD has always been big on developing their own systems and not using off the shelf stuff. COTS is growing, but 30 years later, Ada is still alive and kicking.