+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Acquisition of Waze Social Mapping Service "Not Happening"

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's Acquisition of Waze Social Mapping Service "Not Happening"

Previously released reports of Apple claiming to buy the social mapping service Waze have been rescinded, with the source of the rumor now saying such a deal is “not happening.” Following up on the original report, TechCrunch said on Thursday that multiple sources have since indicated that Apple will not be purchasing Waze. MG Siegler, the author of the report was reportedly told by multiple sources that “there is no deal happening… now or anytime soon.”

Siegler suggested that the companies have talked about a potential acquisition but noted that larger companies talk with smaller companies about possible deals “on a daily basis.” A similar rumor also appeared on an Israeli website as well, which made the rumor seem a bit more credible at the time.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, Waze is a popular iOS application that the company boasts has more than 30 million users. It allows users to share real-time information on traffic congestion, gas prices, accidents, speed traps, checkpoints and more. The application was highlighted by Apple in September as an alternative mapping option in the App Store. The Cupertino California company had no choice but to begin promoting competing applications after users complained that its new Maps application in iOS 6, which replaced Google Maps data with its own proprietary service. The poor perception of the new iOS Maps was originally believed to be a driving force behind Apple’s supposed interest in Waze but the recent reports are saying that such a deal will not be happening.

Source: TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Waze is the best. Great voice navigation, police alerts and makes driving more enjoyable. Waze > google maps > apple maps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hardly ever leave comments, but I have to say that I am glad apple is not acquiring Waze. Coming from android and using google maps for navigation, I was dissapointed in the the iphone equivilant. With IOS 6 and apple maps, it was even worse until I discovered Waze.

We took a recent trip from New York to Florida and used Waze for guidance and traffic reports. This was even during off season travel, but I was still getting frequent road condition, traffic reports, and speed traps the whole route. I normally drive a few miles over the limit on interstate travel and waze successfully notified me of 3 speed traps while on route as well as a huge blown tire that was in the middle of the road and correct lane that it was in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

I use Waze all the time and i love it .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Waze is the Craze
    Waze is the Craze

Green Apple
    Thanks

Waze is pretty hood i have to agree but i stopped using it after i reported a traffic light camera 5 times and they kept deleting it, the camera its still there so i guess some people will find a surprise soon enough!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm getting pretty sick of Waze. The other day it made me go into a complete full circle to get me to my destination. Every time I use it it gets worse. Google and iOS Maps I have no issue with and prefer it instead now.