+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Claims Early Victory Against Apple in Legal War

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Amazon has won a key early verdict against Apple in the legal showdown between the two app store superpowers. Reuters confirmed Wednesday that a U.S. judge has rejected part of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Amazon Claims Early Victory Against Apple in Legal War

Amazon has won a key early verdict against Apple in the legal showdown between the two app store superpowers.

Reuters confirmed Wednesday that a U.S. judge has rejected part of Apple's lawsuit against Amazon's use of the phrase "App Store." As a result, Apple "cannot bring a false advertising claim against the online retailer."

"Apple has failed to establish that Amazon made any false statement (express or implied) of fact that actually deceived or had the tendency to deceive a substantial segment of its audience," Hamilton wrote in her judgement.

U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton granted Amazon's motion for partial summary judgment, "which only challenged Apple's false advertising allegations."

So, in a nutshell, one battle in a very long war has been won. Apple, for example, is still going after Amazon for "trademark infringement."

Source: Reuters

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

What!? I thought Apple owned every phrase!?

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    What!? I thought Apple owned every phrase!?

I'm sorry but your statement is currently owned by Apple...lawyers will be contacting you shortly!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1 for common sense

Thanks
    Apple guys should get a life! And stop trying to steal everyone's good ideas from around the world then call it theirs!

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Whenever theres some sort of apple vs .... Post, the comments usually make my day

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Whenever theres some sort of apple vs .... Post, the comments usually make my day
    It's like putting two cats in a bag and watching them fight isn't it? LOL

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I'm sorry but your statement is currently owned by Apple...lawyers will be contacting you shortly!
    And will be contacting you soon too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    And will be contacting you soon too!
    And you

Thanks

Why cant apple just do what they used to be good at making top products , with all this patent war crap , gone is the day when apple made a iphone that blew the competition out of the water , the iphone 5 ( which i own now ) is not as good as the samsung galaxy s3 , feature wise the iphone is way behind its competition now and that is a shame , the only thing the s3 has bad on it is the plastic samsung use ( and yes i own an s3 as well ) but put an s3 against an iphone 5 and sorry the apple looses in functions not quality , but there again you do pay an extra 200 for an iphone

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thumper_net View Post
    Why cant apple just do what they used to be good at making top products , with all this patent war crap , gone is the day when apple made a iphone that blew the competition out of the water , the iphone 5 ( which i own now ) is not as good as the samsung galaxy s3 , feature wise the iphone is way behind its competition now and that is a shame , the only thing the s3 has bad on it is the plastic samsung use ( and yes i own an s3 as well ) but put an s3 against an iphone 5 and sorry the apple looses in functions not quality , but there again you do pay an extra 200 for an iphone
    I love my iphones but at the same time they do suck and apple will slowly lose their spark unless the iphone 6 is revolutionary which it probably wont be and then ill be jumping ship after all these years

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Okay before you start trolling apple for patent wars get to know what this is even about. It has nothing to do with ideas and technology, it is about the name App Store. Nothing more.

Thanks

Ur right i mean its a name!! But i am still against most of apples patents and samsung patents too ( i mean seriously a patent for round corners! ) i get it when apple patent wireless charging and a phone design but those small patents are the ones that are censoring innovation! I remember apple suing samsung for the turn on/ off button!!

My point is all those companies should stop focusing on profit and should focus on innovation or ten years from now we'd all own a 5 inch apple, same design and nearly the same UI

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh noes, Apple will cease to exist because all their resources are devoted to patent trolling!

**** that, give me an iphone 5 anyday over some gimmicky samsung phones
    iphone 5 16gb iOS 6.1 beta 4

Thanks

Not if u think "in the long run"... those patents will yield a lot of money

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Not if u think "in the long run"... those patents will yield a lot of money
    So... Apple's main target is making money for their company and shareholders if you think about it. So they can't just give up freebies like design patents to their competitors, however small or ridiculous we may think it is. Apple is not a charitable institution so get it out of your heads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Retrolock View Post
    So... Apple's main target is making money for their company and shareholders if you think about it. So they can't just give up freebies like design patents to their competitors, however small or ridiculous we may think it is. Apple is not a charitable institution so get it out of your heads.
    I know but that doesn't mean that there only objective is to make money any way possible... With the resources that apple and all those tech giants have imaging where we would be if they weren't all selfish. Plus 2 or 3 years ago when Nokia had the majority of the phone sales, theres was no ridicules patents specially not over words -.- i mean seriously how the hell can they patent words!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Didn't see a lot of innovation with Nokia when the iPhones and Androids came out though. Apple may be heading Nokia's way but we have not seen an iPhone killer yet, in terms of sales.

Thanks

Actually apple is losing its spark to Samsung... I know the ecosystem there sucks but u cant say that the phone itself is bad... ( im mostly talking about the S3 and maybe the GN2 )

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What a bunch of whiners on here, Apple protects what is rightfully theirs, wouldn't you? And I sure notice a lot of Guggle Droid little boys on here all the time mouthing off, is it because your phone sucks so you have extra time to post idiotic talk? Or isn't your girlfriend properly inflated yet. Get a life.