Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Usage Logs Point to iOS 7 Testing by Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default App Usage Logs Point to iOS 7 Testing by Apple

We all know it's coming. But most of us still didn't expect to see any iOS 7 headlines this early in the new year. On Wednesday, however, reports surfaced that developers have uncovered in app usage logs that Apple's next major iOS refresh is already being detected.

A handful of iOS developers have unearthed references to an "iPhone6,1" identifier, which is said to be powered by a device running iOS 7. Not surprisingly, the app requests originate from an IP address that leads all curious investigators back to Apple in beautiful Cupertino, California.

When iOS 6 was unveiled six months ago with some 200 new features, it was obvious that a great deal of preparation and planning went into the upgrade. iOS 7 will likely require a comparable if not greater effort on the part of Apple's finest minds. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that testing is already underway.

Do we have any details on iOS 7, its features, or other major overhauled attributes? Of course not. But just knowing that Apple is hard at work on the next major iOS refresh is enough to excite no shortage of developers in the iOS ecosystem as we endure the long wait until WWDC 2013 kicks off this summer.

Source: TNW

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd rather have iOS 6 with a jailbreak than iOS 7 w/o. I don't even care if it's tethered.

The only major update/change I've ever saw in iOS was iOS 4, everything else didn't do much. They barely add anything new to the past two iOS's except for maybe something involving Siri, and adding integrations to the iOS that jailbreakers got before it was even released in a official iOS, and a few little update fixes. They better have something worth updating for in iOS 7(hopefully its easily exploitable haha).

Will IOS7 fix the bugs IOS6 brought or will it add new bugs and just keep the current IOS6 bugs so it will be even buggier and the worst IOS ever. It'll be hard to beat IOS6 but so far NOTHING Apple have done in 2012 has been for the good so I would expect IOS7 to be the biggest flop and the downfall of the iDevice.

With Forstall gone, and them testing it so early, when last year iOS 6 didn't start popping up until a month before WWDC. This could be a major revamp of iOS. Apple knows iOS 6 was a letdown and didn't really change much. They know people are growing tired of the same thing. They know investors are wondering if they will keep growing or if they have peaked. They're not stupid, they became the most profitable company in history for a reason. I would put money on a totally revamped iOS. Something completely different. Maybe a totally changed UI. Widgets both on the home screen and notification center. Who knows, but with Forstall gone, if they're testing it this early when last year it was a month before WWDC. I except to see some major changes in iOS.

Thanks

Most of the updates are worthless. Just Apple trying to stay ahead of the JB game. I mean since cut/paste, backgrounding apps and Siri there are not may notable updates at all. I understand any new firmware comes with bugs and these bugs need to be ironed out. I hope a JB comes for iOS 6.0.1 soon as im stuck on it at the moment.

I bet ios 7 is for the iPhone 5s, but honestly unless significant change is made, i'll stick with 5.1.1.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Yawn. Apple has had years to introduce true backgrounding, tiled windows on the iPad, and other much needed improvements and hasn't done squat. They seem to think cosmetic changes will keep fooling the masses.

Quit your complaining, at least the iPhones are upgradable. Look at Win 7 phones, absolutely no upgrade to Win 8. You have to buy a new phone. How many Android phones are upgradable, but the carriers refuse to allow the upgrades?

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Upgradeable? Tell that to iPhone 4 owners that apple deliberately denied Siri. Upgrades to iOS, as others have noted, have been trivial for years.

Default Ios 5.1.1 untethered thank you
    I'll stick with iOS 5.1.1 untethered thank you!
    unless there is a major atractive upgrade on iOS7 I will not update
    because apple has killed JB for good, iOS 7 will come out most likely on september this year and there would be no jb(untethered for all devices) for iOS6 if things go the way they are going right now, people thinking that we will have a jailbreak for iPhone 4 or 5 need to know that Pod2g has become a developer on the apple store, he tweeted yesterday he has summited a app to the app store already.
    so sad

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    Quit your complaining, at least the iPhones are upgradable. Look at Win 7 phones, absolutely no upgrade to Win 8. You have to buy a new phone. How many Android phones are upgradable, but the carriers refuse to allow the upgrades?
    Is it? Oh, so I'll upgrade my iPhone 1 to IOS6... Oh you cant?
    Then I'll upgrade my iPhone 3G to IOS6... Oh, you still cant.
    Then I bet I can upgrade my iPad1 to IOS6.... no?

SO what you said is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Upgradeable? Tell that to iPhone 4 owners that apple deliberately denied Siri. Upgrades to iOS, as others have noted, have been trivial for years.
    They were denied for 2 reasons, one that's a key selling point for the 4S. "s" stands for Siri if you did not know. But a bigger reason is it was just unable to run it with the slower processor. Remember when chpwn made spire for 5.0.1? I used it, slowed down the 4 tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    Is it? Oh, so I'll upgrade my iPhone 1 to IOS6... Oh you cant?
    Then I'll upgrade my iPhone 3G to IOS6... Oh, you still cant.
    Then I bet I can upgrade my iPad1 to IOS6.... no?

SO what you said is BS.
    No quit being a smart a**. You know what he meant, you have 6 generations of iPhones. "iPhone" "iPhone 3G" "iPhone 3GS" "iPhone 4" "iPhone 4S" and "iPhone 5". And 2/3 of them can be on iOS 6. Look at the galaxy sIII. STILL not updated to 4.1, let alone 4.2 because Verizon has not pushed it yet. (Yes I know other carriers have) but I have Verizon, and it has not. And windows 7 phones have no upgrade to 8. It's new phone or nothing. He means apple does an amazing job at letting people update there older generation devices. The 3GS is 3, almost 4 years old released in June of 09'. The sIII is how many years... Oh oops. Months old? Yet hasent been updated. Quit being a troll and you know apple does the best allowing older generation phones to update.
    Last edited by fanboyfanboy; 01-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    The only major update/change I've ever saw in iOS was iOS 4, everything else didn't do much. They barely add anything new to the past two iOS's except for maybe something involving Siri, and adding integrations to the iOS that jailbreakers got before it was even released in a official iOS, and a few little update fixes. They better have something worth updating for in iOS 7(hopefully its easily exploitable haha).
    i totally agree. ios 6 is the worst ever.