+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung May Beat Apple to the Punch on HDTV Glory Next Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
While the tech world holds its collective breath for Apple's rumored but widely expected connected HDTV to turn up next year, Samsung may beat Apple to the punch with a
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Samsung May Beat Apple to the Punch on HDTV Glory Next Year

While the tech world holds its collective breath for Apple's rumored but widely expected connected HDTV to turn up next year, Samsung may beat Apple to the punch with a pretty snazzy new HDTV of its own.

Based on what we're hearing from connected sources on Monday, next week's kick-off to CES 2013 could bring with it the grand unveiling of a new Samsung HDTV that is "unprecedented." What does that mean exactly? Some have speculated that its sophisticated features and smart components may undercut the high hopes for Apple's HDTV. Others say its just going to be a massive screen unlike anything we've seen before.

Of course, we may just be hyping up little more than that which we already know. After all, last week, Samsung teased the "true innovation of TV design" which would come from a Samsung-branded television delivering "an unprecedented new TV shape and timeless gallery design."

The TV, we are told, may function in either "portrait" or "landscape" positions, which would definitely fit the bill for its description as being "unprecedented." Unfortunately, no other details are emerging for the time being. But from the looks of it, we will have all of our answers and more next week when CES gets underway.

Source: Samsung

Thanks

I hope it has rounded corners so the lawsuits can continue

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

*T* (12-31-2012), buggsy2 (12-31-2012)

Thanks

They'll release something and then when Apple releases their stuff Samsung will come out with a "Galaxy TV" which no matter what the OS is, it'll be skinned to look like the Apple counterpart.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, frankly, if it is running a proprietary OS, then it doesn't matter if it can be in landscape or portrait, if it is reversible with a screen on both sides or even if it twists and turns or folds up like an origami crane, it will still be limited by whatever apps are merged into it. If it runs Android, well, then at least it will have expandability with 3rd party TV apps, but again, it would just be a TV with Android, which you can already get with the thousands of TV Box/Stick devices already on the market. And as Android was never designed for anything other than a touch interaction, it would be some cobbled together frankenstein. The point I am making is that I am no more excited for the Apple HDTV than I am anything that is going to come out of Samsung. The reason being? Samsung's motivation on this matter is not the consumer, but rather the need to compete with Apple and try to rush to market. What they fail to realize is being first means diddly squat, as Apple has proven to every other phone manufacturer since the inception of cell phones! What I would like to see from Samsung is something other than hardware. Thats right, they make good hardware, but the end user doesn't care about hardware more then they care about what is running that hardware, and Samsung is still riding the coat tails of Google's Android, so I honestly can not see Samsung doing much "innovating" that is really going to wow the public, at least on the interface, without coming up with something proprietary and very limiting. That is not to say I have any real hope for the Apple HDTV, which will probably fair better than anything from Samsung in the long run, but will itself fall short of any expectations the public may be drumming up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

runey71 (12-31-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Full computer integrated into the TV with upgradable computer parts in the back?
    I would be interested in something like that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Full computer integrated into the TV with upgradable computer parts in the back?
    New samsung tv's are already upgradeable.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung already offers the ability for upgradeable processors in their latest batch of SmartTVs on the market. The idea being that as apps progress and make greater demands on the processor then putting a new one into an existing dock in the back of the TV will solve that problem. Once inserted the new processor will be used over the installed one. A better idea would to use them in parallel for an even greater processing boost.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    They'll release something and then when Apple releases their stuff Samsung will come out with a "Galaxy TV" which no matter what the OS is, it'll be skinned to look like the Apple counterpart.
    If anything apple will be copying Samsung

If Samsung could beat apple to "the punch" they would have. There is no "punch" Samsung has been in the business for to long for their to be a punch they can steal. The only "punch" is the consumers specifically waiting for the Apple TV not consumers who can be bought on different things

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple would never do that. No upgradable parts in iPad, iPhone, and barely in the new Macs

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever it is, I guarantee that it exists purely because of the circulating Apple rumors. The only way to "steal" an idea from Apple and get away with it is to compete with the rumored products and rush yours into the market first. We'll see.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    Samsung already offers the ability for upgradeable processors in their latest batch of SmartTVs on the market. The idea being that as apps progress and make greater demands on the processor then putting a new one into an existing dock in the back of the TV will solve that problem. Once inserted the new processor will be used over the installed one. A better idea would to use them in parallel for an even greater processing boost.

I have a Sony XBR Flatscreen that has Crackle, NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu +, YouTube, NHL, Aol, Snag Films, etc.
    So what is the point of another TV that does this.

The only other thing I will say about this: Apple has never made a TV, Samsung has been making TV's for 40 years.
    (and I am an Apple fan pointing this out.)

Quote Originally Posted by airwaves182 View Post
    apple would never do that. No upgradable parts in ipad, iphone, and barely in the new macs
    agreed!

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

who cares what OS is running on a television... I will be more excited to see a "retina" type resolution on any HDTV, something I know has been in the works for some time now but, I'm assuming the technology has been way to expensive to make anything ready for the end-user...

Thanks

Has any 'upgradeable' computer ever been upgradable? apart from additional memory / HD and graphics card every computer that has been 'upgradable has always been superceded by something far better and cheaper than the upgrade.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sorry but Samsung beat Apple to HDTV Glory back in 2000...
    What is this nonsense? Acting as if Samsung are suddenly reacting to rumours about an Apple HDTV. This is a new realm of bizarre fanboy delusion.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Samsung has been making TVs for decades, they have plenty of patents and have been a leader in innovation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt these TVs are going to be anything like how they are now. So those arguing that Samsungs been doing it for years...that doesn't mean anything. Look at the history of apple. They weren't the first with the smartphone either...but iPhone changed the way every company makes phones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

Hmm. Maybe it has 4K resolution and a touch screen. That would be kinda neat.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSYC0TIC ONE View Post
    who cares what OS is running on a television... I will be more excited to see a "retina" type resolution on any HDTV, something I know has been in the works for some time now but, I'm assuming the technology has been way to expensive to make anything ready for the end-user...
    Ummmm wtf are you talk about? WTF do you think HD tv is? What would be the point of a "retina" screen that you're sitting 10 feet away? Stupid is as stupid does for sure.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Agree!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Whatever it is, I guarantee that it exists purely because of the circulating Apple rumors. The only way to "steal" an idea from Apple and get away with it is to compete with the rumored products and rush yours into the market first. We'll see.
    I completely agree with this comment. Couldn't have said it better.

Banned
    Thanks

Samsung already make TVs and have for many years. All this is Apple trying to steal the limelight and take all credit again for something someone else has already done for many years.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to StanSmith For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (01-01-2013)