+ Reply
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Gives Samsung a Breather on Galaxy S III Mini Patent Claims

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It must be "opposite day" at Apple. In an uncommon series of events unfolding Friday, Apple is backing off of patent claims against tech rival Samsung regarding the Galaxy S
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,630
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Apple Gives Samsung a Breather on Galaxy S III Mini Patent Claims


    It must be "opposite day" at Apple. In an uncommon series of events unfolding Friday, Apple is backing off of patent claims against tech rival Samsung regarding the Galaxy S III Mini.

    To be fair, however, Samsung was the first to blink in this latest skirmish between the two smartphone super-powers. Court documents indicate that Apple is relinquishing its patent claims against Samsung's Galaxy S III Mini smartphone... but the decision comes after the company confirmed it has no intention of importing and selling the device in the U.S.

    Samsung began selling the Mini in Europe two months ago. But in its filing on Friday in a U.S. District Court, Apple attested to having been able to purchase the Mini from Amazon.com (in the U.S.) and have it shipped and delivered to the U.S.

    Samsung responded by asserting that it is not "making, using, selling, offering to sell or importing the Galaxy S III Mini in the United States." As a result, Apple withdrew its patent claims on the Mini "so long as the current withdrawal will not prejudice Apple's ability later to accuse the Galaxy S III Mini if the factual circumstances change."

    Source: Chicago Tribune

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts

    Is Samsung seriously using Mini?? I know Apple didn't create the word Mini...but they did use it to name their smaller tablet, and now Samsung is too?? U would think at some point, Samsung would want to stop looking like they are copying Apple, regardless of whether or not they actually are.
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 12-28-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    El Zurdo

  3. #3
    The Unknown Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 997 Times in 628 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Is Samsung seriously using Mini?? I know Apple didn't create the word Mini...but they did use it to name their smaller tablet, and now Samsung is too?? U would think at some point, Samsung would want to stop looking like they are copying Apple, regardless of whether or not they actually are.
    "Mini" was also used when Apple introduced their smaller, more affordable computer, the Mac mini.

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    "Mini" was also used when Apple introduced their smaller, more affordable computer, the Mac mini.
    True... Very true...

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    And the old iPod mini

  6. #6
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts

    technically BMW who produce Mini cars could also jump on the bandwagon....

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    technically BMW who produce Mini cars could also jump on the bandwagon....
    That's not the point. The point is public perception will see it as Samsung once again following Apple's lead, now copying Apples name after already copying everything else. Any innovation Samsung brings with the device would be overlooked and overshadowed...As a example... I think of Gameloft. Imagine they came out with a completely new game, not a blatant copy. But instead of giving it a original name, they named it "Craft: War of Worlds". Doing so would cause people to believe it was just another Gameloft clone.
    El Zurdo

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Is Samsung seriously using Mini?? I know Apple didn't create the word Mini...but they did use it to name their smaller tablet, and now Samsung is too?? U would think at some point, Samsung would want to stop looking like they are copying Apple, regardless of whether or not they actually are.

    are you seriously asking that question? Samsung used mini on their phone not a tablet and thy did so before apple did. no wonder apple behaves the way they do--look at their fan base.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

    Jj2345 (12-29-2012)

  10. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,836
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 780 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    are you seriously asking that question? Samsung used mini on their phone not a tablet and thy did so before apple did. no wonder apple behaves the way they do--look at their fan base.
    You've gotta be somewhat realistic here. Despite it being a phone, tablet, PC, etc.; the word 'mini' (in the electronics realm) has been associated w/ Apple products. Can you honestly tell me that if Samsung used the term 'mini' to describe one of their devices that it wouldn't seem like they copied Apple?

    C'mon, man...if Apple named their product iPad S III you'd be up in arms about Apple copying a name. We know you're an Apple hater but you have to be discerning at some point...

  11. #10
    iPhoneaholic Jj2345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 136 Times in 99 Posts

    Samsung has a smart tv,lets see if apple gets a smart tv Aswell :-)

  12. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Derby,U.K
    Posts
    2,279
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 905 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jj2345 View Post
    Samsung has a smart tv,lets see if apple gets a smart tv Aswell :-)
    They'll proberly name it the apple smarter tv lol

    Wouldn't surprise me if Samsung named the phone galaxy 4s
    Last edited by littlelisa63; 12-29-2012 at 06:35 PM.

  13. #12
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    are you seriously asking that question? Samsung used mini on their phone not a tablet and thy did so before apple did. no wonder apple behaves the way they do--look at their fan base.
    Hey your back... you're that guy that needs to be around people he doesn't like to feel complete. Grandma's basement lonely? Can't find friends to talk about things you actually like? Ok we'll let you pretend like you matter here... you're welcome anytime to vent all your frustrations.

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You've gotta be somewhat realistic here. Despite it being a phone, tablet, PC, etc.; the word 'mini' (in the electronics realm) has been associated w/ Apple products. Can you honestly tell me that if Samsung used the term 'mini' to describe one of their devices that it wouldn't seem like they copied Apple?

    C'mon, man...if Apple named their product iPad S III you'd be up in arms about Apple copying a name. We know you're an Apple hater but you have to be discerning at some point...
    So you're saying no manufacturer has ever, ever used the term mini before apple did? if ever I'm an apple hater it would be more correct to say that Im an apple fan hater, I simply hate ignorance--and product worship which most apple fans tend to be.

    there were smart phones, tablets, mobile apps, app stores, media players are more a decade before apple was a household name but you never hear anybody say apple copied all those things unless its in response to some apple fan boy's ignorance. then apple calls a smaller version of a device mini and any other company is now somehow copying apple.

  15. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,836
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 780 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    So you're saying no manufacturer has ever, ever used the term mini before apple did? if ever I'm an apple hater it would be more correct to say that Im an apple fan hater, I simply hate ignorance--and product worship which most apple fans tend to be.

    there were smart phones, tablets, mobile apps, app stores, media players are more a decade before apple was a household name but you never hear anybody say apple copied all those things unless its in response to some apple fan boy's ignorance. then apple calls a smaller version of a device mini and any other company is now somehow copying apple.
    That's where you misunderstood... I didn't say that the term 'mini' has never been used to describe a product; I am trying to relay to you that the public perception of 'mini' (in regards to electronics) makes them think, Apple!

    For Samsung, LG, etc. to start using 'mini' to describe one of their products would seem, to the public, like those companies were copying Apple. I'm not taking sides w/ Apple, just stating public perception...

    Does that make sense or does my 'fanboyism' blind you from reading & thinking clearly???

  16. #15
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    That's where you misunderstood... I didn't say that the term 'mini' has never been used to describe a product; I am trying to relay to you that the public perception of 'mini' (in regards to electronics) makes them think, Apple!

    For Samsung, LG, etc. to start using 'mini' to describe one of their products would seem, to the public, like those companies were copying Apple. I'm not taking sides w/ Apple, just stating public perception...

    Does that make sense or does my 'fanboyism' blind you from reading & thinking clearly???
    Funny he is calling anyone a fanboy...

  17. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Haderslev, South Jutland, Denmark
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Thumbs down You must have lost your mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    That's where you misunderstood... I didn't say that the term 'mini' has never been used to describe a product; I am trying to relay to you that the public perception of 'mini' (in regards to electronics) makes them think, Apple!

    For Samsung, LG, etc. to start using 'mini' to describe one of their products would seem, to the public, like those companies were copying Apple. I'm not taking sides w/ Apple, just stating public perception...

    Does that make sense or does my 'fanboyism' blind you from reading & thinking clearly???
    So if I make a good chocolate cake, and someone else comes up with a different recipe for chocolate cake, they're copying me?
    That is so retarded! You know what. Just try and replace the word "mini" with "cupcake" and then look at how stupid your comments are

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts