+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung May Face Big Fines for Trying to Ban Apple Products in Europe

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung May Face Big Fines for Trying to Ban Apple Products in Europe

As we all know, both Apple and Samsung have been in an ongoing patent war against one another for quite some time. Although Apple has already won a $1 billion lawsuit against Samsung in the U.S. earlier in the year, the two continue to fight it out in the courts in Europe, with neither side coming out on top. There is a new report that is claiming that Samsung could possibly face fines running into billions of dollars over its attempts to use “standard-essential” patents on 3G to ban sales of Apple’s iPhone and iPad in Europe.

As a matter of fact, Samsung isn’t the only company that is facing big fines either. Others that could also face fines include Google-owned Motorola Mobility for trying to get Microsoft’s Xbox 360 banned in Europe or using standard-essential patents as well. Samsung currently faces potential fines of up to 10% of the company’s worldwide turnover, which would be about $15 billion for Samsung. The South Korean manufacturer may also face big fines in the U.S. as well because the U.S. Justice Department is investigating Samsung’s use of standard-essential patents in cases against Apple.

In this situation, Apple seems to be in the clear. Although the Cupertino California company has also tried to get Samsung’s products banned as well, they did so by using patents that were not part of any standard in their legal proceedings. Apple also offered to use pay a licensing fee on patents for 3G owned by Samsung but Samsung refused. As of right now, whether or not Samsung gets filed, it doesn’t seem like this patent war is about to end.

Source: The Guardian

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Man we need laws like this in the United States, so much lawsuits from both sides. Patent trolls might even take a beating or at least think twice before getting all sue happy.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 12-29-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

So apple can sue and get products banned but if anybody sues apple to get their products banned they face fines? the "fees" that apple offered to pay Samsung for STANDARD ESSENTIAL patents were just pennies per phone !! supposedly these were FRAND patents so what happened to the FAIR AND REASONABLE part? pennies per phone is not reasonable for something considered essential.

Thanks

Samsung pulled out of its ban apple products in the whole of europe a few weeks ago , this happened when apple lost its plan to ban samsung products in the usa , i think its time both apple and samsung stopped all this patent rubbish and let the two fight it out with better products which is better for us , rather than the 5s coming in 2013 maybe apple could make a real cool iphone with a better and modern looking ios , as ios looks old fashioned now compared to googles nexus firmwares , if you look at how much android has grown up over the years as an example , ios like osx stands still , looking the samd but with a few silly addons , i would love to see real a new ios on every new iphone ( i now have the iphone 5 also a samsung galaxy s3 ) i feel its not as exciting buying an iphone anymore , yes they look cool , but its the same look on every ios phone , not like android where there are hige updates and looks , hope now mr ive is in charge this will change to make our iphones the top phone again and not a new phone with an old system from 2007

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 905 Posts

Apple just need to let us jailbreak the iPhones as I think they would sell more
    I've had a Samsung galaxy 2 but didn't like android at all so got my iPhone back and is very happy again