+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time: Tim Cook Made Apple 'His Own' in 2012

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Time: Tim Cook Made Apple 'His Own' in 2012

Time Magazine may have opted for U.S. President Barack Obama as their "Person of the Year" for 2012, but Apple CEO Tim Cook made it as a runner up. And with good reason says the venerable publication.

Although we often forget this little considered fact, Cook is the first CEO that Apple has had since the company was founded who got the job "without blood on his hands."

“Each time,” Cook admits, “the way that the CEO was named was when somebody got fired and a new one came in.” The current boss, however, ascended to the big chair after the death of a man who rose to iconic status in the modern tech world - the late Steve Jobs.

"He inherited the most valuable company in the world from one of the greatest innovators in history. In 2012 he made Apple his own," the article reads, acknowledging that Cook's leadership has been steadfast, strong, and capable of inspiring investor confidence.

Cook has gone about his business apparently unintimidated by his role as successor to one of the greatest innovators in history. Cook’s record hasn’t been flawless, but he has presided in a masterly way over both a thorough, systematic upgrading of each of the company’s major product lines and a run-up in the company’s financial fortunes that can only be described as historic.
    To read the full profile by Time, click here.

Source: Time

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve>Tim

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Steve>Tim
    Agree

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Cook was named CEO while Jobs was still alive.

Banned
    Thanks

QUOTE "Tim Cook Made Apple 'His Own' in 2012"
    I'm guessing he's F***ed in the head as thats what hes done to it.
    He's release the 2 worst things. The iPhone 5 and IOS6. Both bad and made things worse.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    He's release the 2 worst things. The iPhone 5 and IOS6. Both bad and made things worse.
    I agree... Especially when it comes to jailbreaking...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    Steve Jobs was actually responsible for the iPhone5 it was the last thing he worked on. You don't think they plan, design and build an iPhone in 1 calendar year do you.

I think Tim Cook has made a good start in his role as Apple CEO. He's said sorry for one and also admitted they have made mistakes (maps) Unlike Jobs who simply told the world "They were holding it wrong" I think humility is a good thing, and shouldn't be overlooked.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post
    Steve Jobs was actually responsible for the iPhone5 it was the last thing he worked on. You don't think they plan, design and build an iPhone in 1 calendar year do you.

I think Tim Cook has made a good start in his role as Apple CEO. He's said sorry for one and also admitted they have made mistakes (maps) Unlike Jobs who simply told the world "They were holding it wrong" I think humility is a good thing, and shouldn't be overlooked.
    1. The only comment worth reading! Great post!

2. I dont think a majority of these "posters" realize how business's work. I don't think they realize that Apple, like every other company has a Strategic Business Plan that goes beyond 1 year. In Apple's case, since they knew Steve's time alive was limited, I am sure it is/was a very detailed plan. Another great comment!

3. You are correct, unlike Jobs, Cook took responsibility for the maps debacle and apologized, then added a dedicated "maps" section to iTunes. He didn't try to brush it off like his predecessor would of.

As for the iPhone5, yea Im not to impressed. I skipped this iteration. But that has nothing to do with Cook, it has to do with screen size.

Thanks

Good comments, but I would like to add something in regard with the first comment. Steve>>>>Tim.
    Unless another Steve is born and ready to take over, Apple is in decline. Just enlarging screens, rounding shapes and corners will not make Apple the "STAR" of technology. We Apple products addicts are expecting the unexpected. That beacon of geniality to turn into something amazing like the iPhone, the iPad the iPod, the Mac book Air.......... What is next!? Apple used always to surprise us with new products, which were unimaginable for that time . I am not talking about iPhone 5S or iPad x generation or iPhone mini or maxi or God know what else they will pull out from their old hat. The so expected Apple TV ?!... what can be new in a TV, when the competition is so tight and so advanced on TV market?!
    Time ( no Time magazine) will tell.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,285 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    Good comments, but I would like to add something in regard with the first comment. Steve>>>>Tim.
    Unless another Steve is born and ready to take over, Apple is in decline. Just enlarging screens, rounding shapes and corners will not make Apple the "STAR" of technology. We Apple products addicts are expecting the unexpected. That beacon of geniality to turn into something amazing like the iPhone, the iPad the iPod, the Mac book Air.......... What is next!? Apple used always to surprise us with new products, which were unimaginable for that time . I am not talking about iPhone 5S or iPad x generation or iPhone mini or maxi or God know what else they will pull out from their old hat. The so expected Apple TV ?!... what can be new in a TV, when the competition is so tight and so advanced on TV market?!
    Time ( no Time magazine) will tell.
    I agree with this 100%.. With respect - Steve passed away just in time. He, the great Jobs, was also out of ideas. It's rare to be at a certain place in history where there are truly NEW devices to invent. What did Jobs 'invent' from '96 when they fired him to when he took over the company again?? Nothing!! Why not? Because there wasn't new enough new chip technology to warrant the invention of something. An innovator sees windows in time crossing with new raw materials and meets the desire of a hungry public. BUT this isn't a perpetual state in our world. The reason there are no new devices coming out is because they've all been invented at this point for the raw materials out there. So Cook's running things at a 'bad time'.. Apple indeed will enter a period of decline. And Cook is NOT an idea guy from what I've seen to date. So we'll. I for one am happy to just get new generation stuff from Apple because it's simply a better product than any Samsung stuff. And iOS is more stable than Android by a long shot. But "NEW" stuff.. Nope.. You're in for a long wait, gang.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post

Perfect post. I was trying to think of a way to respond to the first several responses, but you did a good enough job for me.

I should say that I do think that overall Steve Jobs was better than Tim Cook (even though Tim is a fellow Auburn alum!). Jobs built the company, then revived it. Expecting Tim Cook to be just as good and innovative as Jobs would be like my wife and I, in the event of our untimely deaths, expecting foster parents to raise our kids exactly as we have.

Tim brings a different skill set to the table, and if you ask me he's done a fine job so far. In 3 or 4 years, when all of Jobs' ideas have been used we'll get a TRUE picture of what Tim can do with Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve and Cook and are two very different people.

Steve - An innovator and leader that never gave up on what he believed in. He could see the future of technology and recognised the importance of the very fine details. However, a very harsh and stubborn man who would throw a fit if he couldn't get his own way; difficult to work with and very demanding.

Cooke - Not an innovator but a great leader. Much easier to work with, less demanding of his subordinates and is less a fan of litigation than Steve. It's unlikely to be as innovative as Steve but he's a man who has EARNED the respect of Apple's fans, customers, employees and even competitors; and after all, Apple have plenty of other innovators such As Jonathan Ive and Bob Mansfield.

It's really annoying seeing how ignorant some of the community are here in the field of Business.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    Steve and Cook and are two very different people.

It's really annoying seeing how ignorant some of the community are here in the field of Business.
    I am sorry you feel that way , but most of us here on this Forum are consumers not business oriented such as you.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    I agree... Especially when it comes to jailbreaking...
    Jailbreaking is very bad. I once had a jailbroken iPhone and it was very unstable, caught fire and melted in the same week Auburn lost to Arkansas. Coincidence? I think not. Now I have a non-jailbroken iPhone and have no more problems.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't believe Tim has invested much time/effort into this generation, it was pretty clear the psyco, I mean Steve, laid a road map for the next several years. To be honest, Steve was so arrogant, people probably have a hard time following his map.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    What did Jobs 'invent' from '96 when they fired him to when he took over the company again?? Nothing!!.
    Actually he started the company Pixar studios/films. The now Disney/Pixar? Lol so yes he did do some thing and it turn out as a good/big thing!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Actually he started the company Pixar studios/films. The now Disney/Pixar? Lol so yes he did do some thing and it turn out as a good/big thing!
    I thought he bought/invested in Pixar. He was the money man. He want a visionary like people make it out to be in regards to Pixar.

Thanks

I feel that he has handled the pressure/transition very well but what exactly has he innovated? You say Jobs worked on the iPhone 5 as it was his last hoorah. What exactly has Tim Cook done to revolutionize Apple in the last year or so?? If you have any examples please relate them. Im looking at it this way, he had a great leader and many years to emulate this leader. He had a roadmap so to speak to follow after Jobs passed. We won't really know what he has done on his own for years to come. I think the iPhone 5 is nice but not revolutionary by any means. Will be interesting to have this revisited in 5-10 years. Then we can form a REAL opinion without any clouds in our way :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zon View Post
    Cook was named CEO while Jobs was still alive.
    Tim was interim CEO while Steve was alive. His permanent status as CEO wasn't established until a month or so after Steve's death.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Tim Cook looks like a mad lesbian