+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New 27" iMacs With 3TB Fusion Hard Drives Unable to Use Boot Camp

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple’s 27” iMacs, while powerful and beautiful, possess a rather significant snafu involving Apple’s new 3TB Fusion Hard Drive. Apple has disclosed rather quietly that any 27” iMac outfitted with
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New 27" iMacs With 3TB Fusion Hard Drives Unable to Use Boot Camp

Apple’s 27” iMacs, while powerful and beautiful, possess a rather significant snafu involving Apple’s new 3TB Fusion Hard Drive.

Apple has disclosed rather quietly that any 27” iMac outfitted with a 3TB Fusion Drive will not be able to utilize Boot Camp. At all. Apparently adding the $400 option to a build-to-order iMac prevents business users and others who depend on the Windows platform from accessing Microsoft's OS without the aid of virtualization software like Parallels and VM Ware.

Apple has yet to explain why the 27” iMacs with 3TB Fusion Drives can not utilize Boot Camp, but their smaller 2TB and under hard drives can. User’s have pointed out that it’s likely a limitation of 3TB drives in combination with the BIOS utilized in Boot Camp. Throwing in the 128GB SSD as part of the Fusion Drive is just the icing on the cake.

Whatever the reason Apple should be actively notifying users purchasing made-to-order iMacs with 3TB drives that they will not be able to utilize Boot Camp. At least as of now. Apple has left the door open for future updates adding support.

Source: 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bootcamp is why i buy apple products. I have lots of software that don't support a mac platform.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Parallels is a much safer and faster way of running any windows OS. I've been a beta tester for parallels since prior to its first public release.

Don't risk your Mac. Seriously. OS X and parallels make windows work better than a PC or direct-boot system can.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

Shower of apple nutmegs
    It's quite simple to fix

Merry Christmas

Iv just put a SSD into my iMac just under 3 years old and it flys
    Saved my self a bucket of cash

Any way this is not the fix I don't rate Mr Cook

Apple are making to many mistakes iTunes mountain lion now this

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Parallels is a much safer and faster way of running any windows OS. I've been a beta tester for parallels since prior to its first public release.

Don't risk your Mac. Seriously. OS X and parallels make windows work better than a PC or direct-boot system can.
    Except if you're gaming and/or using anything that requires strong graphics performance.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You don't run Apple on your iMac so why say you run VMware?
    VMware is the company, Fusion is the product...

Might as well phrase this article like; You can't run Microsoft on the new Apple without running VMware
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 12-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bootcamp is a more annoying, slower way to use Windows on a Mac. VM's in something like VirtualBox is the best way to do it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by windowsdan View Post
    Bootcamp is a more annoying, slower way to use Windows on a Mac. VM's in something like VirtualBox is the best way to do it.
    what rubbish, how do you expect to get any good graphical performance out of VM?
    The reason to boot directly into windows instead of using a VM or a VM via parallels it to get direct access to the actual hardware. you cannot do this in a virtual environment.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by windowsdan View Post
    Simply wrong.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I got my 27" 2 days ago and it has to go back already. If I shut it down the fans come on full throttle unless I unplug it. Not happy since it is a custom built model and they wont have another ready for many weeks. Now no boot camp...

Thanks

iMacs With [...] Fusion Hard Drives Unable to Use Boot Camp

Of course THEY CAN'T. Fusion drive is a SOFTWARE

Phillip, this time you copied something you did not understood at all. Fix it please.

Fusion drive is 128Gb ssd + 3TB hdd combined into logical volume by the OSX.
    Windows does not have capability do operate on such volume.

BootCamp does not install on 3TB drive by itself alone (probably cause of firmware limitations, no idea atm.). It does not matter to bootcamp whether there is 3Tb drive alone or 3Tb "fusion drive" (which is 3Tb drive + 128Gb ssd). Bootcamp creates partition on the HDD omitting the ssd completely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    Bootcamp is why i buy apple products. I have lots of software that don't support a mac platform.
    Just use Parallels Desktop and run both Mac & Windows simultaneously. In my opinion anyone who uses bootcamp to boot directly into Windows on their Mac is wasting their time and money. If windows is what you need, then buy a PC, that'll be a wayyy cheaper alternative then buying a Mac to run Windows on it most of the time and Mac some of the time.

If you're an IT professional like myself, you would run your Mac as per normal, while having Parallels running in the background and, and just swipe to the windows screen, go about your Microsoft Windows Apps and Management tools, then swipe back to your Mac desktop and go about working on your Mac...
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Just use Parallels Desktop and run both Mac & Windows simultaneously. In my opinion anyone who uses bootcamp to boot directly into Windows on their Mac is wasting their time and money. If windows is what you need, then buy a PC, that'll be a wayyy cheaper alternative then buying a Mac to run Windows on it most of the time and Mac some of the time.

If you're an IT professional like myself, you would run your Mac as per normal, while having Parallels running in the background and, and just swipe to the windows screen, go about your Microsoft Windows Apps and Management tools, then swipe back to your Mac desktop and go about working on your Mac...
    If you were any sort of professional you'd know that there are many occasions when you would need to boot the machine natively into Windows for the massive increase in performance versus a Virtual Machine.

Thanks

Since this peaked my interest when it came to gaming and I'm thinking of getting a windows game. If I understand correctly bootcamp good for gaming and parallels bad for gaming. Aye?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Honestly, I won't use Bootcamp anymore anyway. I love the flexibility that Parallels affords me. I only have to setup Windows on one machine, then I can copy it to any others that need the same setup and input a new License Key and away I go. No more installing program after program after program and tons of updates, etc.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post

Yeah I love it! It uses a lot of ram however

Most of the time I use a partition to install other os'

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Simply wrong.
    He is actually correct. I had boot camp and now I use parallels. I get way better performance and I can run it at the same time. I have 16gb of ram in my iMac and an i7 processor with a solid state drive. I don't lose any performance at all.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    He is actually correct. I had boot camp and now I use parallels. I get way better performance and I can run it at the same time. I have 16gb of ram in my iMac and an i7 processor with a solid state drive. I don't lose any performance at all.
    You are also simply wrong.
    You cannot get better performance running a VM compared to running natively. FACT!
    That's not even taking into account that virtualization of GPUs is still at its infancy.
    Stop trying to talk as if you know what you are talking about.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Ok we'll when I run test in windows on both, all tests are better on the vm, also, see what kind of user performance your going to get if you run it on boot camp. Because I do I fact have a boot camp partition, along with parallels, and I'll state this now, the windows in parallels is not the boot camp partition. I set it up like that just to see what would be better, so by experience, I do no what I'm talking about.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post

The reason I buy iMac is the 27" inch all-in-one aluminium monster without any tower and cable city on my desk. If you can give me the same performace with this kinda setup from any PC supplier, I might buy u a netbook (pun intended) as christmas gift. For god sake, all PC supplier failed. They depend too much on MS for SW and they failed terribly without any good HW design until iMac came around. And trust me they still havent catch up yet.

Ya dont lose any performance. Yeah! but you dont get any graphics.

Ok we'll when I run test in windows on both, all tests are better on the vm, also, see what kind of user performance your going to get if you run it on boot camp. Because I do I fact have a boot camp partition, along with parallels, and I'll state this now, the windows in parallels is not the boot camp partition. I set it up like that just to see what would be better, so by experience, I do no what I'm talking about.
    And you can use a wide-variety of design programs and games with DirectX 9.0c/9Ex and Shader Model 3 support.

This, I found from New Features on Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac.
    Where is my DX 10 and 11?
    Last edited by blueberry27; 12-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.