+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Free Scan & Match Feature for Google Music Released to Compete with iTunes Match

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Free Scan & Match Feature for Google Music Released to Compete with iTunes Match

Google recently announced that its new matching feature will scan a music collection and quickly rebuilt it in the cloud for free. Users were previously required to upload their own music, which in some cases could take days depending on the size of the audio collection. The Google Music service now allows users to match up to 20,000 songs from their music collection, with the tracks being streamed back at up to 320 kbps at no cost. Google Play currently has a limit of 300 megabytes per individual song and there currently doesn’t seem to be any option to purchase more storage to go beyond 20,000 tracks.

In comparison, Apple’s iTunes Match will scan a user’s music library and match it up with tracks available on the iTunes Store for $24.99 a year. Apple’s song limit is 25,000, which is 5,000 more tracks beyond that of Google’s service.

When the iTunes Match service was originally announced by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, one of the biggest things Jobs pointed out was the time it took competing offerings from Google and Amazon to upload extensive music collections. Since then, Amazon’s Cloud Player added iTunes Match-like scan and match functionality this past July with the company allowing users to import up to 250 songs for free in its Cloud Player with a similarly priced premium subscription allowing users to import up to 250,000 songs (10 times that of Apple’s iTunes Match).

When it comes to iPhone, iPod, and iPad apps, Amazon has released an official Cloud Player application but Google currently as not. As of right now, there are some third-party options currently available in the App Store.

Will any of you utilize Google’s service since it touts a price tag of absolutely nothing?

Source: Google Play

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait, your saying google is offering this service for free? I am currently using iTunes Match and I love it! Since I paid for the year I will hold on till then, but if google has an ios app by then, I may jump ship. My wife has an android phone & I would love to share my music service with her.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I currently use Google Music on Windows and have the unofficial gMusic app. I bought it for $0.99 but they raised the price today to $1.99.

Per https://support.google.com/googlepla...answer/2920799

the match feature will work for me as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

hogcia (12-19-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

you can just upload your itunes directory to google play. then your wife can enjoy your collection as well. google play will always scan your itunes directory and automatically add any new music to google play. so far google play doesn't upload perfectly so you might have to delete some duplicates and fix some tags. but it is free.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Harambur For This Useful Post:

hogcia (12-19-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

music.google.com Its their web app and works on any device.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

hogcia (12-19-2012)