+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Apple to Begin Building iPhone, iPad Chips in New York

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
If you're hearing rumblings today about an abundance of chips in New York, it has nothing to do with the snack food industry. On Wednesday, reports surfaced that Apple may
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Rumor: Apple to Begin Building iPhone, iPad Chips in New York

If you're hearing rumblings today about an abundance of chips in New York, it has nothing to do with the snack food industry. On Wednesday, reports surfaced that Apple may have a role to play in rumors of a major manufacturing plant coming to the Empire State.

The greatest source of this information is New York's top political powerhouse, Gov. Andrew Cuomo. The Albany Times Union reports that it was Cuomo who suggested that Apple could be behind a "top-secret plan that has been pitched to state economic development officials for a 3.2 million-square-foot computer chip factory."

"We're shopping a lot of different companies at any given time," Cuomo said on the record. "Apple has a lot of competition, obviously, for their location. I don't think they're anywhere yet in the decision-making."

The top-secret Apple customer that has been scouting sites in upstate New York has had its site consultants visit the Luther Forest Technology Campus in Malta and the Marcy NanoCenter in Oneida County. Luther Forest is already home to GlobalFoundries, which built a 2 million-square-foot chip factory on 223 acres it owns there.
    With Apple allegedly planning to ramp up its domestic chip production ahead of further anticipated consumer demand for iDevices, it isn't really a shocker to anyone that Apple is exploring its options in New York.

MMi will keep you posted on the story should it develop further.

Source: Albany Times Union

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Can I just say commenters don't hate and be like "it's about time apple gives jobs in the us" because they like any other business know how much more it costs to have things manufactured by people with rights. Apple isn't necessarily good but don't lie to yourselves and act like apple is the only one who does this.

Thanks

Omg it's bout time apple gives US jobs.......

Hahaha jk.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Omg it's bout time apple gives US jobs.......

Hahaha jk.
    Lol nice.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Good for the US and good for Apple!

Thanks

I agree Good for the US; Might be a BIT more expensive but i doubt it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

The chips could be manufactured in the U.S., because it's almost all automated with machines. The assembly of the iPhone in the U.S. would cost much more in labor than in China.

According to this link, it costs $8 in labor to assemble an iPhone.

Thanks

and I'd guess that Apple will get huge tax concessions -- state income tax, city/county property taxes, etc.
    WalMart gets the same thing saying they will bring in hundreds of jobs and additional sales tax revenue without bothering to mention that they will put a bunch of local and some regional businesses out of business and will end up being a net drain on the area vis a vis killing business, lowering wages and causing more people to go on various forms of public assistance.

Here's hoping that Apple will do the opposite of WalMart.