Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple I Auctioned for a Record High of $640,000

Thanks

Default Apple I Auctioned for a Record High of $640,000

As noted by Classic Computing, a working example of Apple’s first computer was sold by German auction house Team Breker in November for $640,000. This auction broke the previous Apple I record selling price of $374,500 set by Sotheby’s in June. Prior to this deal, Christie’s put a non-working Apple I motherboard on the block in the UK, but bids failed to surpass the £50,000 reserve price.

While Apple continues to expand its share of the consumer market, the company’s early products have become more collectible and are fetching increasingly large sums at auctions. Previously, in June, a functioning version of the 1976 Apple I motherboard sold for $374,500, beating its estimated sales price of $120,000 to $180,000. Also included in the auction was an unrelated note written by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs during his time at Atari, which sold for $27,500.

The folks over at Classic Computing sat down with avid collector Lonnie Mimms, who currently has two Apple I units amongst his many machines, one a non-working example with all-original parts and a second working model with replaced components. "The Apple 1, because of Apple's status now in the world, is the beginning of that company," Mimms explained. "For corporate America and for the computer industry, there isn't anything more iconic than that in existence."

For those of you who aren’t aware, only 200 Apple I computers were made, each hand-built by Steve Wozniak, and only six of the estimated 50 intact examples are believed to be in working condition. The product was sold for $666.66 without a power supply, display, keyboard, or housing when it was first released in 1976. I bet if more people had known how much it might have been worth today, they might have considered buying and holding on to it.

Source: Classic Computing

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I guess it is true what P.T. Barnum said.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    I have this to say about that... “Opinions are like *****; everyone's got one.” ― P.T. Barnum
    Last edited by blkcadi; 12-12-2012 at 02:58 PM.

The original price of $666.66 is such an accurate price for what an evil and ****** company Apple has become. So sue happy and stagnate.

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    The original price of $666.66 is such an accurate price for what an evil and ****** company Apple has become. So sue happy and stagnate.
    You must not be familiar with America because that's what everyone does here...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kyikeda For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (12-12-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

All the companies, especially tech companies sue frequently. Is it BS? Sure. Is there anything we can do about it? Not really.
    Also, if Apple is so stagnant as you say, why are all the other tech companies following/copying/lusting after Apple & Apple products?

2 questions for you. 1: Why do you care so much what Apple does and doesn't do? If you don't like their product, don't buy it. Apple isn't barging into your home, taking $300 of your cash and handing you an iPod are they?
    And 2: So Apple isn't allowed to sue other companies when they feel like something was copied from their patents, But other companies are?

I love it when you folks give Apple bashing people something to chew on.
    I started using Apple products about 5years ago and I now understand the loyalty that people have for Apple, I am now one of them. Actually my whole family is now down with Apple as I've handed down my iPods iPhones and iPads as I've gotten the newer ones. I find that it's always the people that can't afford them or that don't know how to use them that say there no good.
    Long Live Apple
    Thanks Again Guys

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Apple isn't barging into your home, taking $300 of your cash and handing you an iPod are they?
    That would be nice if they would. It would save me the gas money/ time for going to the store myself! Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    If you believe anything that PT Barnum said then you're a sucker.

So I guess you are a devil worshipper?

I mean you are on a website all about "evil"

No matter how you look at it, that is a pretty sweet piece of computer history memorbilia....