Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Koh Pushes for Global Treaty to End Apple vs. Samsung Patent Battle

Thanks

Default Judge Koh Pushes for Global Treaty to End Apple vs. Samsung Patent Battle

As the ongoing legal battles between the two tech giants, Apple and Samsung, continue the judges presiding over the cases are beginning to lose their patience. Judge Lucy Koh recently even made a plea for “global peace” after reviewing the $1.05 billion verdict issued against Samsung back in August. Apple is currently hoping to see a ban on the sale of a number of Samsung devices that the jury deemed were guilty of infringing the Cupertino California company’s patents. Samsung on the other hand wants to see the damages against it reduced or wants to see a new trial.

Both companies have a number of other ongoing cases against one another around the world. According to TechCrunch, Judge Koh said the following; “If there is any way this court can facilitate some sort of resolution, I’d like to do that. I think it would be good for consumers and good for the industry.” The BBC reports that Samsung’s recent arguments called into question the jury’s calculations when it determined the amount the Korean company must pay in damages. Apple urged Judge Koh not to probe the jury’s reasoning on a device-by-device basis. Koh responded by saying “I don’t see how you can look at the aggregate verdict without looking at the pieces together to make that verdict. If there is a basis to uphold the damages award, by the record, then I am going to uphold it. But I think it is appropriate to do analysis by-product.”

In the current case, Apple wants to see the damages increased by more than $500 million, as it continues to state that the $1.05 billion fine is a “slap on the wrist” for Samsung. It currently wants to see eight of Samsung’s devices banned and removed from sale in the U.S. Samsung on the other hand has long accused jury foreman Velvin Hogan of misconduct, pointing out that he did not disclose previous litigation with Samsung-owned Seagate. The South Korean electronics manufacturer is calling for a retrial as a result of that, but many believe that the bid is one that likely won’t gain any traction. We’ll have to wait and see what happens though but it doesn’t seem like either Apple or Samsung will compromise here.

Source: TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

keep it going this is very interesting.....i hope it will reach $100billion fine..........

By the time this court stuff is over, Samsungs phones are going to be obsolete. What does it matter if they're banned if they are so old they won't be sold in stores anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    By the time this court stuff is over, Samsungs phones are going to be obsolete. What does it matter if they're banned if they are so old they won't be sold in stores anymore?
    If Samsung phones are obsolete, why did the court pass on the verdict to pay a hefty billion? A Billion for copying obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by svolam View Post
    If Samsung phones are obsolete, why did the court pass on the verdict to pay a hefty billion? A Billion for copying obsolete?
    You didn't get it. The point was that the court system is so inefficient that the decision will take so long that smartphones in general will be obsolete, and it won't even matter.

Banned
    Thanks

apple is out of ideas, they have nothing new to "innovate" and Android is pounding iOS all over the world--solution, sue.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought the "Judge" was supposed to determine the legality and finalize the ruling, NOT TO PONTIFICATE ON HIGH about "global peace" and "some sort of resolution"! Is she planning on running for some office? Sounds like it to me!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

"Samsung on the other hand wants too see the damages reduced, or see a new trial."

Imagine if the criminal justice system worked this way.... Man brutally murders his wife and children. Found guilty. Complains that he should have been found innocent. Demands that he either is found innocent, or that the punishment for murdering his family is so small that he doesn't spend a day in jail. Judge grants mans wishes, releases man while awaiting retrial... Asks for world peace...

I just don't get it. At least it illustrates how it is possible for a govt body to be more ineffective and broken than our current political system.....Yay?!
    El Zurdo