+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Practically Confirms Connected HDTV Plans

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Tim Cook Practically Confirms Connected HDTV Plans

If Tim Cook was a student in Steve Jobs' school of secrecy, this may be one test for which the new CEO of Apple probably won't get a passing grade.

Although it was Jobs himself who first admitted his personal desire to revolutionize television sets across the world, the revelations made by Jobs in his final days of life to biographer Walter Isaacson haven't been addressed in any meaningful way by Jobs' successor in the past year.

That is, until now.

In a new interview with NBC News, Apple's chief executive officer reveals that Apple is likely going to shake things up in our living rooms. "When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook says in the interview. "It's an area of intense interest. I can't say more than that."

Although Cook "can't say more than that," he said enough -- at least enough to keep market watchers, analysts, and AAPL investors on their toes about a product that could be a huge money maker for Apple in 2013 and beyond.

As MMi has consistently reported throughout 2012, we believe that a prototype for the so-called connected "iTV" already exists (under lock and key in Jony Ive's possession) and that mass production will begin before the 2013 holiday shopping season. Most analysts who similarly believe this product is coming estimate that Apple is prepping a 42-55 inch monster HD flatscreen television with potential iOS integration that will be sold for somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000 - if not more for larger, higher-end models.

The interview with Tim Cook airs tonight on NBC (10pm/9c on “Rock Center”)

Source: NBC News

Thanks

1,500-2,000 i just spent $1600 on a 46" 3d smart tv when in the USA its that price for the 55". highly doubt that price.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    1,500-2,000 i just spent $1600 on a 46" 3d smart tv when in the USA its that price for the 55". highly doubt that price.
    Knowing Apple it'll at least be 3,000. You'll get it for 1,000 if you sign an 18 year contract with dish network paying $200 a month and a kidney.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if they will use Samsung TV's?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 741 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedHope View Post
    Knowing Apple it'll at least be 3,000. You'll get it for 1,000 if you sign an 18 year contract with dish network paying $200 a month and a kidney.
    Hahahahahaha!!! Love it!!!

I'm not surprised he disclosed this info considering the drop in Apple stock recently. He's hoping to gain momentum w/ this news and bring their shares back up.

He's not Jobs so his tactics will be different. We all know he's not the innovator we've been used to having, so people aren't as anxious about Apples new products as they once were. Tim's just trying to market Apple the same way every other company does...
    Last edited by thazsar; 12-06-2012 at 04:18 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedHope View Post

DONE! sign me up!

*T*
    Thanks

It's not like he's telling us anything we didn't already know... What's the point in pretending something's a secret when it's on the news once a week

Thanks
    This is a very bad idea, now if they actually make it extremely nice w/ outstanding specs so it'll last 5 years w/ updates, then maybe this will be a good idea. They'll run theirselves into a hole if they try to put a new model out every year

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You think apple is so successful by "accidently" leaking stuff? The iPhone 4 hype was HUGE. Some leaks weren't intended such as all of the 5 features but still, they want people to save money and expect an apple tv

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distortedhope View Post
    knowing apple it'll at least be 3,000. You'll get it for 1,000 if you sign an 18 year contract with dish network paying $200 a month and a kidney.
    lmfao!

Make that U-Verse or FiOS and you might have a deal. Also, I do wonder what the refresh cycle would be for a television product from Apple. This latest iPad (4) debacle has me wary of them now...
    Last edited by RoloDiva13; 12-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if they are building a tv, that's a mistake. if it's an htpc-like device that has a cablecard, access to internet video, built in hard drive, etc. (a pimped out apple tv), then that could be something. Apple could probably do deals with cable and satellite, creating an awesome interface. it could be a device that replaces tivo, media players, and media extenders.