+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Investing $100 Million to Bring Some Mac Production to the U.S. in 2013

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It was reported earlier this week that some of the newer iMacs were saying “Assembled in USA” on the rear of the aluminum case. It brought up a lot of
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default Apple Investing $100 Million to Bring Some Mac Production to the U.S. in 2013

It was reported earlier this week that some of the newer iMacs were saying “Assembled in USA” on the rear of the aluminum case. It brought up a lot of questions as to what Apple was doing, and now Tim Cook reveals in an interview that Apple plans to bring some Mac production to the U.S. as early as 2013 – next year.

Tim Cook reveals that Apple is investing $100 million in the project, and also reveals that not all Mac production will be moving to the United States, as the plan is to have some imported Macs and some Macs produced in the United States. The key word being produced, and not only assembled – so they would be assembled from many American-made parts and not just foreign parts:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cook
    It’s not known well that the engine for the iPhone and iPad is made in the U.S., and many of these are also exported—the engine, the processor. The glass is made in Kentucky. And next year we are going to bring some production to the U.S. on the Mac. We’ve been working on this for a long time, and we were getting closer to it. It will happen in 2013. We’re really proud of it. We could have quickly maybe done just assembly, but it’s broader because we wanted to do something more substantial. So we’ll literally invest over $100 million. This doesn’t mean that Apple will do it ourselves, but we’ll be working with people, and we’ll be investing our money.
    In the interview, Cook also tells us how some parts for the iPhone and iPad are actually made in the United States as well, such as the glass and the processors.

The change will be positive for the United States, but as MacRumors reports, there would be some difficulties in the shift, such as the lack of "expertise" required to have this kind of major manufacturing in the United States for consumer electronics, something that is abundantly available in countries such as China. Cook hopes to change this as he slowly brings some of these jobs to the United States, one part at a time.

Sources: Bloomberg via MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Awesome! Good job apple!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Edit: fixed
    Last edited by Legend_master; 12-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pleased about that and
    I'm from the U.K

I Love the U.S.A

Good Apple

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorJack View Post
    I'm pleased about that and
    I'm from the U.K

I Love the U.S.A

Good Apple
    Lol wut?

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's good, but will it help with the prices, or will they stay the same, or raise due to having the new maintenance cost the plants will require, like manpower and permits that plants in China and other countries don't have.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

As it is at the min the Mac prices are through the roof 1040 for a SSD

it wood be the same prices if the Mac was made in the U.K Mac as a example