+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Shares Tumble, Falling More Than 6%

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Shares Tumble, Falling More Than 6%

Apple shares recently took a tumble with a loss of over 6%, making this the largest stock drop in a single day over the past four years. Analysts and investors alike are blaming the sell-off and resulting stock price drop on many factors, including a recent forecast by an influential firm that Googleís Android operating system continues to gain ground. Another unconfirmed report continues to play a role as well, stating that at least one stock-clearing house has been raising margin requirements on trades in Apple stock.

According to a report at Reuters, other factors include a potential hike in capital gains tax that begins next year if current financial wrangling in Washington fails, along with rumors that Nokia beat Apple in China by making a deal to sell Lumia phones via China Mobile, which is the countryís largest wireless provider.

For those of you who are thinking that a 6% loss isnít too big, you might have to think again when you realize that the total value of current stock shed $35 billion in market value, while over 37 million shares changed hands, making Apple one of the dayís biggest percentage losers in the S&P 500. The Cupertino California companyís average daily volume over the past 50 days is only 21 million. Furthermore, the continued decline in Apple stock value as well as resulting analysis that Apple has lost its way is likely taking its toll on the CEO, Tim Cook.

Playing devilís advocate for a second though, it makes sense that any company would have trouble sustaining growth similar to that of Apple for as long as Apple has. The company still seems to be up 33% over last year.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple is making the same mistake with IOS that they made with Mac OS back in the 90's...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple needs to wake up and start producing open hardware and software instead of "Can't do this" and "Can't do that" or "Apple doesn't allow this or that". I just cannot understand why they are so restrictive when every other manufacturer around them continue to make strides. I have allways said that one day their attitude will come back and bite them on the bum.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clive.weller For This Useful Post:

BadJ3d1 (12-06-2012)

Thanks

Owned every iPhone since the first one. Bought the iPads, the MBP... 2 days ago picked the Galaxy Note 2... it's broken the fanboy spell.

You can see my join date. It's been a good run. So-long folks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone chen1976's Avatar
    Thanks

i am about to give up with iPhone 5 and that will be the last phone and better will go for Samsung S3. At least i can root and do what ever i want to. Also stopped buying appstore apps

Thanks

Shares drop people start waffling lol. I've had every iPhone too and only recently came back from s2 & s3 and believe me Samsung is cheap for a reason. I'm not hating as I have a note 10.1 now & i5 but imo their both not all that. If ur gonna jump ship to s3 make sure you get a case to protect that weak bezel which is more flawed than the i5.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still on the iPhone for its software, not hardware. Apple needs to innovate every year, instead of every two. Wish jobs was around.

Thanks

And none of these comments have a thing to do with the share price! Shares go up then down, close to Xmas and people will be making locked money unlocked and other reasons! As for china! It's iPhones they want not bright coloured plastic bits of **** from Nokia! After all no one been cought smuggling Nokia handsets into china!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    Owned every iPhone since the first one. Bought the iPads, the MBP... 2 days ago picked the Galaxy Note 2... it's broken the fanboy spell.

Lots of people in your shoes including myself, I dropped out once I saw the ip5, same old same. You'll love the Note, just give yourself time to get familiar with Android. The more I use it, the more I like it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone joshlogic's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is debt-free, is the most valuable company in the world, and has a brand and product line that is absolutely fantastic. It's amazing how people write them off based on a day-to-day stock-price-they are arguably the most solid company on the entire planet financially.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HomieG35....... I have also owned every Iphone since the beginning, I too jumped on the Galaxy Note 2 wagon...... I love it and no looking back !!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As much as I have hopes for Apple to make awesome iPhones again, I also was wowed away by the Samsung Galaxy Note II. I actually like the bigger screen and wouldn't mind if the phone got even bigger. But that wasn't really the only thing that made me make the change. Sure, there was the double the RAM and processor, NFC (and other features I'm too lazy to list), and the ability to add and swap out to more "drive" space, but what really sold me was the ability to personalize my phone without even needing to root it. Even when it came to jailbreaking all the iPhones I owned (all the way to 4S), I got tired at the fact that I couldn't really tweak the home screen much other than rearrange the app icons. (Not to mention how proprietary Apple has become.) With the Note II (and all other Android phones), I was able to not only add widgets on the home screen, thus eliminating the need to have to open the app it's associated to for the apps I use and rely on the most, but I was also able to do other tweaks I couldn't seem to do with my iPhones, such as the ability to view my home screen in landscape mode. I'm also liking the fact that I can switch out the battery if I need to and change the back cover with an aluminum for that "refined" look and feel. Then there's the ability to add on the ability to wirelessly recharge the phone just like the Nokia Lumia...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Shares drop people start waffling lol. I've had every iPhone too and only recently came back from s2 & s3 and believe me Samsung is cheap for a reason. I'm not hating as I have a note 10.1 now & i5 but imo their both not all that. If ur gonna jump ship to s3 make sure you get a case to protect that weak bezel which is more flawed than the i5.
    I dropped my S3 right on its side last month and barely even a scratch. No, I didn't have a case on it either. My iPhones of days past...not so much.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Like the black i5 that scratches if you look at it funny? Or that came scratched straight out of the box? That i5?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I dropped my S3 right on its side last month and barely even a scratch. No, I didn't have a case on it either. My iPhones of days past...not so much.
    I have dropped my iPhones with and without cases many, many times. Only once did the screen crack and once did I have a slight scuff on the side of the phone.

So it really all depends on how you drop the phone and how it lands, I would think it would be the same thing will be for any phone.

In all honesty, the iPhone is one of the best phones out there, Android phones tend to only last around a year or so; whereas, I have used some iPhones for 3+ years before they completely gave out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    Apple is debt-free, is the most valuable company in the world, and has a brand and product line that is absolutely fantastic. It's amazing how people write them off based on a day-to-day stock-price-they are arguably the most solid company on the entire planet financially.
    That product line is good but its getting old and boring.

Green Apple
    Thanks

same with me...i owned the first iphone thru iphone 5 and i love the them...but last week i just picked up and try out the Galaxy Note 2 and it blew me away..it's an amazing phone i can do soooo much more on this phone without having to hack/jailbreak etc....i love apple and all but they need to start open up the phone more...restricting this and that will drive people away

Thanks

Later!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I'm still on the iPhone for its software, not hardware. Apple needs to innovate every year, instead of every two. Wish jobs was around.
    I'm right here with you on this. Android's software is just a joke, and so is iOS if you're not jailbroken.

The Galaxy Note II is freakin' sick, and its hardware is amazing. The only reason I don't have one is because it's running Android. Apple has it where the software needs it (though that's beginning to slip, and they should -really- add more features as well as some of the common features jailbreakers get) but, while I never thought I'd say this about a company that seems to pride itself on only selling on the "high end," they need to step their hardware game up.

What's funny is that Samsung is taking the exact same marketing approach they did for PCs but for smartphones this time, and it seems to be working for Samsung.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

Seems like almost every user that posted doesn't like iphone and are galaxy note users. Anyway my 2 cents on scratches. It's not about scratches. It's about how many times the phone can be dropped before the phone is unusable anymore. That's what you have a case for. Yeah and it's quite funny that just because the stock fell everyone hates apple now. I have no experience in stock but I can see stupid people when I see them