Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Early Benchmarks and Reviews Conclude a Boost in Performance for New iMacs

Thanks

Default Early Benchmarks and Reviews Conclude a Boost in Performance for New iMacs

Benchmarks for Apple’s redesigned 21.5” and 27” iMac models are now available and as many hoped, they show significant performance increases over the previous-generation models. The folks over at CNET managed to get their hands on the 27” iMac before its public availability and in their tests; the high-end iMac scored 7.49 points in a multi-core rendering Cinebench test - a value which bested the 4.85 score of the May 2011 iMac by more than 54%.

Based on the tests, the new hybrid Fusion Drive offers major performance gains in iTunes encoding as the new 27-inch iMac took 52 seconds in their test, compared with the 86 seconds in the previous generation model. An image processing test with Photoshop also reduced time necessary from 236 seconds in the 2011 model to 199 seconds in the redesigned 2012 model.

While wider tests of the 27-inch iMac aren’t yet available with the hardware not on sale to the public yet, a number of tests with the 21.5” variety were published by Primate Labs (the makers of the Geekbench testing software). The late 2012 21.5” iMac scored 12,447, which was about 9% better than the mid-2011 27” iMac, and roughly 25% faster than the 21.5” model from last year.

Based on its review, CNET said the new 27” iMac is an elite all-in-one desktop that currently makes it one of the best available on the market. The publication gave the new iMac a score of 4 out of 5 stars. The review was concluded by saying that “the computer is for serious, performance-driven users, particularly those who need a high-resolution display, and fast graphics and disk performance.”

Source: CNET, Primate Labs

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-01-2012)

Im just wondering why the word "conclude" is in there. *I mean you dont really have to tell us that the speeds are faster than before.. i mean im glad you posted the benchmarks but the title was unnecessary

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Im just wondering why the word "conclude" is in there. *I mean you dont really have to tell us that the speeds are faster than before.. i mean im glad you posted the benchmarks but the title was unnecessary
    It gives them something to write about until jailbreak and tweaks come back out again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,361 Posts

I was really thinking that there was going to be a decrease in processor speed...

Oh well, my dreams are shattered; maybe next time!!!

***sarcasm font, BTW***

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Yah! Yah! Everything's all sweeet and fast ... UNTIL something goes wrong!
    Look at the article on the teardown of the iMac.
    Sorry, but I'll stick to a desktop PC that I can easily open and fix if something goes wrong!
    AND remember Murphy's Law !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (12-03-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    Yah! Yah! Everything's all sweeet and fast ... UNTIL something goes wrong!
    Look at the article on the teardown of the iMac.
    Sorry, but I'll stick to a desktop PC that I can easily open and fix if something goes wrong!
    AND remember Murphy's Law !
    You do that

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Picky.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This just in: Newer computer is faster than older computer!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (12-03-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    This just in: Newer computer is faster than older computer!
    That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!! How dare you speak such crap in here hahaha

In the meantime, apple still does not realize that it is a royal PITB to have to go all the way to the back of the device to plug in some usb thumb drive... USB connectors on the side? Too much to ask? The imac is all aesthetics and zero consideration of the design in terms of functionality. My next mac will be a mac mini plus a generic monitor (with USB connections that can be reached comfortably).

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    In the meantime, apple still does not realize that it is a royal PITB to have to go all the way to the back of the device to plug in some usb thumb drive... USB connectors on the side? Too much to ask? The imac is all aesthetics and zero consideration of the design in terms of functionality. My next mac will be a mac mini plus a generic monitor (with USB connections that can be reached comfortably).
    At that rate just build a hackintosh. Mine all together cost me 800 bucks and scores 13,000 on geekbench. That's roughly the score of the bottom line Mac Pro.

Also think the sides are to thin for USB lol

Thanks
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    This is what I have for our iMac. 10 ports and out of the way! BTW, four of the ports are in the back.

Got it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00483WRZ6?qid=1354640695&sr=8-1

-image.jpg
    Last edited by thazsar; 12-04-2012 at 11:05 AM.