+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time Warner Chief Speculates on Apple HDTV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
With analysts sounding increasingly more certain that the Apple HDTV is coming, a growing number of media industry heavyweights are beginning to sound just as confident about the chances of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Time Warner Chief Speculates on Apple HDTV

With analysts sounding increasingly more certain that the Apple HDTV is coming, a growing number of media industry heavyweights are beginning to sound just as confident about the chances of Apple releasing a new product for consumers' living rooms.

Today at Business Insider's IGNITION conference, the CEO of Time Warner Jeffrey Bewkes exposed himself as one of the biggest cheerleaders for Apple's much-rumored HDTV. In fact, he outright says he hopes it happens - and soon.

"They bring good interface and navigation skills," says Bewkes. This will help people sort through the 200 channels they have on their cable boxes. They will find the shows they want without having to slog through the current crappy interface offered by cable companies.
    Since the death-bed revelation by Steve Jobs in the late summer of 2011, rumors have swirled that Apple will eventually enter the connected TV market, which Jobs claimed to have finally figured out. With supply chain sources and industry analysts largely concurring with this prediction, it now seems inevitable that such a product will manifest.

Piper Jaffray's Gene Muster has speculated that the Apple HDTV will probably turn up in stores before the 2013 holiday shopping season commences.

Source: Business Insider

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm kinda excited for this to happen
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

AT&T was excited when it was able to sell iPhones, when it did come out it taxed their network now everyone is throttled back and no more unlimited...
    I hope it does not happen, damn thing must rely heavily on internet I do not want to be throttled back.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    AT&T was excited when it was able to sell iPhones, when it did come out it taxed their network now everyone is throttled back and no more unlimited...
    I hope it does not happen, damn thing must rely heavily on internet I do not want to be throttled back.
    Trust me, the internet providers in America are not going to throttle you. If they did the backlash would be enormous. Besides, the TV would likely account for a negligible amount of the total internet usage in homes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Trust me, the internet providers in America are not going to throttle you. If they did the backlash would be enormous. Besides, the TV would likely account for a negligible amount of the total internet usage in homes.
    Neglible amount? I beg to differ. Whether or not the television is actually released, is really not important because we already know what it will be "capable" of doing. Capable meaning with jailbreak tweaks and all. With that said, the possibilities that this television will undoubtedly make happen, it will replace a few other electronic devices causing more internet usage. Much more internet usage. In most areas, comcast has limited their customers to 250gb/month. I do not see it being a far out possibility that ISPs will be adjusting internet plans in some intelligent way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T are just greedy.
    Here in the UK I received my iPhone 4S a month after release on a contract with 2,000 minutes, 5,000 texts and truly unlimited data all for just 35 per month (approx $56).

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Gamemaster77
    Ya...Because when it comes to data throttling, American businesses TOTALLY learned their lesson...thanks to AT&T and Verizon's EPICALLY FAILED attempt at throttling customers data...Which also included tactics such as changing customer data plans without consent, and tricking elderly (grandfathers) customers into unnecessarily switching data plans...

Really serves as a example and reminder to us all...that throttling WILL NOT be tolerated, and will NOT be accepted! It shows that the American people will NOT put up with the extreme greed and dishonesty of these companies...

Oh wait....that didn't happen.... Whoops, sorry. Turns out... It WILL be tolerated, it WILL be accepted, and the American people WILL put up with it. Because, well...we don't have a choice. Cable providers are no different from Wireless providers (eerily similar actually) and will do the exact same thing if they need (want) to...And there is not a thing you or i can do about it. Except... not watch TV of course.
    El Zurdo

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killakill View Post
    Neglible amount? I beg to differ. Whether or not the television is actually released, is really not important because we already know what it will be "capable" of doing. Capable meaning with jailbreak tweaks and all. With that said, the possibilities that this television will undoubtedly make happen, it will replace a few other electronic devices causing more internet usage. Much more internet usage. In most areas, comcast has limited their customers to 250gb/month. I do not see it being a far out possibility that ISPs will be adjusting internet plans in some intelligent way.
    Where have you heard of Comcast throttling? All around the twin cities xfinity from Comcast in packages coming in 5, 7, 12, and 20 mb/s with unlimited usage. They haven't even talked about throttling. I know of other cities in different states that are like this as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What are you talking about throttle, att dsl= 100 gigs a month, uverse=250. Time warner is already in talks about setting up their own tier system, that's way before apple TV. There too many people like me who pay $20 a month to stream the nfl package an the nba, and with hulu(which is way cheaper than any cable subscription) giving you all your tv shows, who needs a cable subscription. But remember att owns all of direct and a little over half of dish, plus their own uverse service and timewarner is timewarner. They need that $100 dollars a customer, why? because the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. That money never trickles down to the real workers. Plus I have a HP home server where I have all of my movies backed up, I also have 4 smart tv's and 3 midgets who all know how to connect to server and stream them, as soon as this is instituted I will be paying way more than what I signed up for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icedming View Post
    What are you talking about throttle, att dsl= 100 gigs a month, uverse=250. Time warner is already in talks about setting up their own tier system, that's way before apple TV. There too many people like me who pay $20 a month to stream the nfl package an the nba, and with hulu(which is way cheaper than any cable subscription) giving you all your tv shows, who needs a cable subscription. But remember att owns all of direct and a little over half of dish, plus their own uverse service and timewarner is timewarner. They need that $100 dollars a customer, why? because the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. That money never trickles down to the real workers. Plus I have a HP home server where I have all of my movies backed up, I also have 4 smart tv's and 3 midgets who all know how to connect to server and stream them, as soon as this is instituted I will be paying way more than what I signed up for.
    I have AT&T and do not get throttled. I've never met someone who gets their main internet connection throttled. If they do, please point me to an example of where they do.

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Ya...Because when it comes to data throttling, American businesses TOTALLY learned their lesson...thanks to AT&T and Verizon's EPICALLY FAILED attempt at throttling customers data...Which also included tactics such as changing customer data plans without consent, and tricking elderly (grandfathers) customers into unnecessarily switching data plans...

Really serves as a example and reminder to us all...that throttling WILL NOT be tolerated, and will NOT be accepted! It shows that the American people will NOT put up with the extreme greed and dishonesty of these companies...

Oh wait....that didn't happen.... Whoops, sorry. Turns out... It WILL be tolerated, it WILL be accepted, and the American people WILL put up with it. Because, well...we don't have a choice. Cable providers are no different from Wireless providers (eerily similar actually) and will do the exact same thing if they need (want) to...And there is not a thing you or i can do about it. Except... not watch TV of course.
    I'd say that internet service is very different than phone data service. So many people use the internet, including those who use tons of it. It includes the vocal and the unvocal groups. As long as there is an internet provider offering unlimited, people will go for that. Also, don't forget about that new Google Fiber. If that goes well, it will really drive the other companies to offer better service.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    AT&T are just greedy.
    Here in the UK I received my iPhone 4S a month after release on a contract with 2,000 minutes, 5,000 texts and truly unlimited data all for just 35 per month (approx $56).
    I have all that for $70, except I have unlimited text

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think the others answered for me.

Let me add to their response with this: What sucks is even people who do not want or have Apple's new HDTV will be affected by this situation. ISP will have their excuse and screw everyone over, and everyone will be screwed. I hope people in charge of this HDTV do not share Jobs vision and lost direction, everything is screwed up and it does not ever get released.

Considering just about every ISP is also cable/dish provider, this new HDTV will screw with their cable/dish customer. Got to make their money back some how.
    Last edited by unison999; 11-29-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks

I think the others answered for me.

Let me add to their response with this: What sucks is even people who do not want or have Apple's new HDTV will be affected by this situation. ISP will have their excuse and screw everyone over, and everyone will be screwed. I hope people in charge of this HDTV do not share Jobs vision and lost direction, everything is screwed up and it does not ever get released.

Considering just about every ISP is also cable/dish provider, this new HDTV will screw with their cable/dish customer. Got to make their money back some how.
    The other thing your not considering is that not everyone is just going to just run out and buy a new TV. Even many of the die-hard Apple fans I know said they wouldn't plan on getting this just because it is still just a TV. People already have TVs of their own, and aren't about to just forget about it. If they want extra features they have other stuff to do that.

Thanks

because the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. That money never trickles down to the real workers.
    anyone who's done legitimate research into the full scope of fractional reserve banking knows that this is not just a suspicion, but a mathematical statistic which is intrinsically built into the system. i'd say you hit the nail on the head with that one...

I also have 4 smart tv's and 3 midgets who all know how to connect to server and stream them
    really...?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have AT&T and do not get throttled. I've never met someone who gets their main internet connection throttled. If they do, please point me to an example of where they do.

I'd say that internet service is very different than phone data service. So many people use the internet, including those who use tons of it. It includes the vocal and the unvocal groups. As long as there is an internet provider offering unlimited, people will go for that. Also, don't forget about that new Google Fiber. If that goes well, it will really drive the other companies to offer better service.
    Im not saying they are going to throttle you, but the last 2 months I have had an extra $40 dollar charge for going over 250 gigs. It will eventually go to where everyone is limited.