Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Mac Newsforums, a part of the
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM #1
iStat Menus 4 Released for Mac OS X
iStat Menus is a popular hardware monitoring application for Mac OS X that shows the user important information about their Mac, such as information about their network, disk drives, memory usage, CPU usage, temperature, and so much more right from the Menu Bar.
The application has been brought to version 4.0 today, which brings retina display support and an improved interface, as well as tons of bug fixes and improved compatibility with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8. In addition, the application now gets all of the following new features in version 4.0, via iStat Menus developer Bjango:
- Added per process network bandwidth monitoring.
- Added support for calendar events.
- Added history graphs for CPU over 1 hour, 24 hours and 7 days.
- Added history graphs for memory over 1 hour, 24 hours and 7 days.
- Added history graphs for disk space over 24 hours and 7 days.
- Added history graphs for disk activity over 5 minutes, 1 hour, 24 hours and 7 days.
- Added history graphs for network activity over 1 hour, 24 hours and 7 days.
- Added history graphs for load averages over 5 minutes, 1 hour, 24 hours and 7 days.
- Added history graphs for sensors over 1 hour, 24 hours and 7 days..
- Added more detailed GPU monitoring.
- Added the ability to change fan speed from the menubar.
- Added SMART status monitoring to disks.
- Added read and write IOPS to disks.
- Combined Disks and Disk Activity.
From the application, you’ll be able to enable and disable Menu Bar information cells via an On/Off switch system that looks similarly to the switches in iOS. The application also comes with themes for coloring the application and the ability to change how often the application updates the information about your hardware.
Below are some examples of the Menu Bar cells that expand when you click on the Menu Bar icons. They show very detailed information about your hardware and you can hover your mouse pointer over some of the more visual information to expand it into yet more information.
iStat Menus 4.0 is a must-have for all Mac users interested in making sure their hardware is working how it should be. The developer offers a free 14-day trial from the iStat Menus Web site, however the paid version will only set you back $16.
11-28-2012, 02:05 PM #2
I used to use this all the time. Eventually I just got around to putting some of the stats on my desktop with Geektools. But still a decent app.
11-28-2012, 03:41 PM #3
im digging the new look/options. i am a geektool user as well.
11-28-2012, 06:53 PM #4
I liked istats when it was a freeware app once they charged for displaying information that you can obtain without the use of their software I stopped using it and went to geek tools. Not worth $16.00 IMO I'd pay at most $1.99 in the mac app store anymore is not worth it for an app that just reports information in the menu bar...
11-28-2012, 07:24 PM #5
I bought iStat before I knew about GeekTools, and still prefer the iStat setup to GeekTools, but $9 for an upgrade license after $16 for the iStat 3 license? That's just ridiculous...
11-28-2012, 09:12 PM #6
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM #7
11-29-2012, 02:37 AM #8
But geektools is not for people that don't want to spend that much time to put that info together.