+ Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Alcatel-Lucent Accuses Apple and LG of Patent Infringement

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,605
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 116 Times in 102 Posts

    Default Alcatel-Lucent Accuses Apple and LG of Patent Infringement


    A California court trial involving patent infringement allegations against co-defendants Apple and LG Electronics recently began on Tuesday. During the trial, Alcatel-Lucent’s Multimedia Patent Trust asserted that the two electronics makers violated video compression technology used in a number of devices. According to Bloomberg the jury trial being heard by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California is directly related to a 2010 complaint filed by the Paris-based technology company’s Multimedia Patent Trust in which both Apple and LG were accused of copying efficient data transmission technology pertaining to videos.

    One of the patent trust attorneys, Frederick Lorig, said that “Apple and LG have chosen not to license these patents while 33 other companies have paid over $190 million for these licenses.” Counsel went on to explain that he failed to successfully negotiate a deal with Apple despite having already set licensing terms with Motorola worth roughly $18 million. “Apple sells four times the number of infringing products that Motorola does.” The devices involved according to the suit include the following: Apple's iPhone, iPad, iPod and MacBook lines, as well as LG's Chocolate Touch VX8575, Bliss UX700, Touch AX8575, Lotus Elite LX610, Mystique UN610 and Samba LG8575.

    Representatives for Apple and LG countered during their opening statements by saying that MPT had already been paid for the technology in the form of a “pay-as-you-go,” pool of funds. The attorneys are claiming that the trust is making an attempt to extend its patent claims to cover new technology. According to Apple attorney Juanita Brooks, “LG and Apple are not going to pay rent for technology they do not use.”

    Apple is accused of currently infringing upon three Alcatel-Lucent patents compared to LG’s two, while MPT is asking for a “reasonable royalty” based on fees it would have been paid prior to the alleged infringement. MPT is looking for undisclosed damages with the possibility of tripling the judgment amount if Apple and LG are found to have infringed willfully as well as the court fees.

    The trial is currently scheduled to continue on Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. with a conclusion expected to be reached within the next two weeks.

    Source: Bloomberg

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts

    ALU welcome to the club!

  3. #3
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts

    Wow. It's sad that fapple might have a chance to fight this still. Like seriously. Fapple deserves to just be sued for everything they have because everything they do is a huge infringement (ie: notification center, Siri, alert banners, etc). I hope they lose.

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Wow. It's sad that fapple might have a chance to fight this still. Like seriously. Fapple deserves to just be sued for everything they have because everything they do is a huge infringement (ie: notification center, Siri, alert banners, etc). I hope they lose.
    FYI Siri was actually a company BEFORE it was owned by Apple, with it's own patents before Apple owned it. The app for Siri came out in 2008. So Siri actually was out before "S" voice. Maybe that's why it was never in a court dispute? Get your facts straight.

  5. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    FYI Siri was actually a company BEFORE it was owned by Apple, with it's own patents before Apple owned it. The app for Siri came out in 2008. So Siri actually was out before "S" voice. Maybe that's why it was never in a court dispute? Get your facts straight.
    Wow. Argue one thing but can't dispute the rest. My bad I forgot this piece of sh1znit Siri was once a trashy company too. My bad. But that's only one part of my argument. Fapple is very uncreative and only takes other companies' ideas or buy them out so others can't.

  6. #6
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Wow. Argue one thing but can't dispute the rest. My bad I forgot this piece of sh1znit Siri was once a trashy company too. My bad. But that's only one part of my argument. Fapple is very uncreative and only takes other companies' ideas or buy them out so others can't.
    I thought you'd smarted up a bit and I wouldn't need to point out every statement why you are wrong. But I will. First with Siri, if you really wanna get technical, google infringed on apples search patents, so they were forced to remove that part of the software. So actually Siri was always the patent holder. Lost that argument, next:
    Notification center and Alert Banners (I will combine these 2 for the fact my point proves both.) Find me a lawsuit on an infringed patent pertaining to either of these. OH WAIT! You can't, because there was never a lawsuit on notification center and alert banners. Why? Well not because google didn't want to. It's because they do not own the patents for them. So they can do nothing but sit back and piss on them selves. Because with no patent, nothing you can sue for. Please, find me a legitimate lawsuit over this. Would be happy to see one . You said "Etc" so anything else you would like to state Apple infringed on? Because so far you 0/3. Technically your -1/3 because Google infringed apples patents on something you said Apple copied... Lmao.
    Lastly, Apples the only one to buy companies? HAHA. Is all I have to say. Because Apple is the first to buy a company and take over it... HAHAHA is all that's needed.
    Lastly uncreative? You're the one that came up with "Fapple". You basically said you masterbate with apples... Lmao whatever kinky sh*t your into is your business haha.
    Don't be such a butthurt fandroid and get facts to back you up, I've produced facts. I've yet to see some from you
    Last edited by fanboyfanboy; 11-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I thought you'd smarted up a bit and I wouldn't need to point out every statement why you are wrong.
    First off, "you'd smarted up a bit" is so far from grammatically correct that it is sad. Second, I never said anything about suing over anything. Third, I hate both android and apple. Fourth, (to go for my etc) passbook is just a crappy rip off of one of google's products (google wallet I think it was called). Fifth, I never said apple was the only company who buys other companies. I said that they buy other companies just to screw their competitors from having something that could be useful but apple has no idea how to work it into their pieces of trash.

  8. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    First off, "you'd smarted up a bit" is so far from grammatically correct that it is sad. Second, I never said anything about suing over anything. Third, I hate both android and apple. Fourth, (to go for my etc) passbook is just a crappy rip off of one of google's products (google wallet I think it was called). Fifth, I never said apple was the only company who buys other companies. I said that they buy other companies just to screw their competitors from having something that could be useful but apple has no idea how to work it into their pieces of trash.
    1: it is very grammatically incorrect, you win that one. 2: Never said anything about suing right...?
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Fapple deserves to just be sued for everything they have because everything they do is a huge infringement (ie: notification center, Siri, alert banners, etc). I hope they lose.
    Oh... Well... Yeah that's about suing isn't it... So you did actually talk about it.
    3: lol right.. Hate android and apple... You've done nothing but imply you love android. And I can recount comments in other posts about how you love android and you always rush to there aid (which there's nothing wrong with backing something you love) just don't deny it.
    4: actually passbook WAS nothing like google wallet. Google wallet USED to be a way to make payments from your phone. Apple launches Passbook as a way to store boarding passes, coupons and more. Shortly after google adds those features to google wallet to compete with Apple. So once again Apple had done something before google... Deja Vu? Oh yeah Siri was out before googles voice service....
    5th: So your saying Apple buys every company they could find useful before Google or anyone else does? Hmm... Id have to disagree, does Sparrow ring a bell? The very popular email client? Oh yeah who acquired that? Google... And look how bad that has gone to sh*t... Hasn't received an upgrade to popular new features since they acquired it? Yeah... And Apple doesn't know how to work it into there "pieces of trash." Look at google and how well they worked it into their pieces of trash, because to be technical, Google owns Motorola, not Samsung or HTC or any other company. So google technically only owns Motorola smartphones, which are utter trash. The galaxy sIII, note II, OneX+, OneS etc are not owned by a google owned company.
    And if you wanna pull this earlier on me, I'll pull it now on you, you argue one thing (hardly it's an indirect argument) where you said "I never said anything about suing" and can't dispute the rest.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts