+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Stores Reportedly Outpace Microsoft Stores on Black Friday

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Stores Reportedly Outpace Microsoft Stores on Black Friday

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster recently released a note today comparing foot traffic to sales per hour at both Apple and Microsoft retail stores on Black Friday. Munsterís team spent eight hours outside of the Mall of America Apple Store in Minneapolis to gather data and provide information on how well the Apple Store did compared to the Microsoft Store at the same location.

What he found was that customers purchased 17.2 items per hour at the Apple Store compared to just 3.5 products per hour at the Microsoft store. To be a bit more precise, he did point out that all but two of the Microsoft store purchases were Xbox titles.

Although it isnít very scientific, the comparison survey tells us that shoppers pick up nearly five times as many items per hour at the Apple Store. Munsterís team noted that an average of 11 iPads were sold per hour compared to zero Microsoft Surface sales. Overall, there happened to be 47% less foot traffic at the Microsoft store than the Apple.

The news doesnít bode well for Microsoft who is seemingly struggling as Apple continues to gain ground in the market.

Source: Fortune
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 11-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

This survey tell us one thing. Mall of America has an Apple store and a MS store. Other than that, it's give us no information of importance. If this survey was done at more malls simultaneously then it would be worth reporting( not insulting the writer, I'm speaking in general).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mustard05 For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-27-2012)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for Apple!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny thing is that they are directly across from each other. You could be confused waking into the Microsoft store assuming it was apple. Signage and branding at this store is very similar to apple.

Thanks

LOL!! I must have MISSED These stores, BUT..any fool SHOULD be able to Tell the difference right off the bat because you would be able to see the Banners..lol

Any idea's on when iTunes will be Updating because it keeps saying Coming November; BUT...still Nodda.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    This survey tell us one thing. Mall of America has an Apple store and a MS store. Other than that, it's give us no information of importance. If this survey was done at more malls simultaneously then it would be worth reporting( not insulting the writer, I'm speaking in general).
    +1

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's true, I'm just surprised anyone would go to apple on Black Friday.. What deals are there? iTunes cards come with 10$ extra.. Yay (as in when you buy an iPhone you get a 10$ iTunes card, but the phone is full price). But I agree surveys like this are meaningless I mean it's all conditional if you do it at one place.. Lets say you go to a third world country how many people will be able to spend that much money on apple when a ms is right there.. Just things like that.,

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in the twin cities suburbs, and the MS store at MOA really doesn't offer that comfortable "use our products freely as much as you like" as the apple store does. So more foot traffic doesn't mean much considering a lot of people (including myself) go to an apple store just to play around with the new toys they have out.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Looks like mall of america is whack. Come to Valley Fair mall in Silicon Valley tech capital of the world and both MS and Apple stores were both packed. I hate to say this but its true, Apple products are becoming like LV purse. A status symbol. Every Apple store I go to is loaded with Chinese people. Just like LV stores. I'm sorry but Chinese people got issues. I'm not hating on them, just hating on their social status mentality. Don't buy something just to look good if you don't know how to use it or how to wear it right. Put that money into your restaurants and clean the restroom for goodness sake...

Don't worry guys, i'm not an Apple hater. I got my beloved iphone 5 and ipad. Love them. but no mac. I just cant get myself to use OSX for more than an hour.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snap1500 View Post
    Looks like mall of america is whack. Come to Valley Fair mall in Silicon Valley tech capital of the world and both MS and Apple stores were both packed. I hate to say this but its true, Apple products are becoming like LV purse. A status symbol. Every Apple store I go to is loaded with Chinese people. Just like LV stores. I'm sorry but Chinese people got issues. I'm not hating on them, just hating on their social status mentality. Don't buy something just to look good if you don't know how to use it or how to wear it right. Put that money into your restaurants and clean the restroom for goodness sake...

Don't worry guys, i'm not an Apple hater. I got my beloved iphone 5 and ipad. Love them. but no mac. I just cant get myself to use OSX for more than an hour.
    Jesus H, that sounds terribly prejudiced. Put that money into your restaurants? Clean the rest room?
    I'm not chinese but I'm offended, if I was chinese I'd tell you to Foxtrot Oscar.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

How can you say that? It does tell us that Mall of America has an Apple and MS store but it also gives you an insight on the success of each business on probably the busiest shopping day of the year. How can you possible say that stating that 11 iPads per hour was sold versus 0 surfaces and very few copies of Windows 8 as telling us "nothing"? What do you expect them to tell you? the psychographic of each of person?

You need to open your eyes and stop being so narrow-minded... restaurants... really? China's probably the most powerful country in the world with insanely high educational achievement and an economy that will soon outgrow America's and all you can refer to are restaurants? ffs.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nice racism there ...
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Some facts to set this straight.

• Mall of America is the busiest mall in the United States. That fact makes this information relevant and important.

• The stores monitored are nearly across the hall from one another. This means no argument can be made that location is at fault, it's apple-to-apple on that front.

• Munster works for Piper Jaffray in Minneapolis and is regularly quoted in international media about Apple. That and the stature of the Mall of America make monitoring these stores a natural.

• Studies like this need not be done at every mall in America. Sample size would obviously influence the outcome, as do other factors. But valuable data and insight can be gleaned from the exercise.

Was it difficult to type with that white hood over your head?

Thanks

Apple stores always look busy. That is the illusion they want to project.

More than half of the people are there for issues with one of there devices.

They quietly pull you to one side and help you with your problem.

Nobody else notices this? If they actually have a line formed dedicated for returns or issues. It would show more people looking for help than more people looking to buy.

Apple is great at magic treats. Especially misdirection.

I have a 3rd generation iPad and the Surface. IMO the Surface blows the iPad out of the water in every way.

The only thing better about the iPad is the retina display and the fact that Apple has more apps than Microsoft. A lot more useless apps but more apps overall.
    Last edited by vindutch; 11-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    Apple stores always look busy. That is the illusion they want to project.

Nobody else notices this. If they actually have a line formed dedicated for returns or issues. It would show more people looking for help than more people looking to buy.

I have a 3rd generation iPad and the Surface. IMO the Surface blows the iPad out of the water in every way.

The only thing better about the iPad is the retina display and the fact that Apple has more apps than Microsoft. A lot more useless apps but more apps overall.
    If that was actually the case, then Apple stores wouldn't generate more profit per square inch vs every other retailer in the U.S. You don't make profits with returns or product issues. Sorry, your comment is now classified as trolling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    Apple stores always look busy. That is the illusion they want to show.

Nobody else notices this. If they actually have a line formed dedicated for returns or issues. It would show more people looking for help than more people looking to buy.

They want people with problems in their stores? People looking for help doesn't mean a broken device, it may mean a broken customer, and don't forget that looking for help often leads to a purchase.
    Whatever your take, I suspect that most companies would prefer the footfall. They are no different. Too many people either filling up limited space or taking up the time of stretched employees means that those going to spend look elsewhere but the sales numbers say different. At least it does in the this universe, the parallel one you seem to be in may be different of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    They want people with problems in their stores? People looking for help doesn't mean a broken device, it may mean a broken customer, and don't forget that looking for help often leads to a purchase.
    Whatever your take, I suspect that most companies would prefer the footfall. They are no different. Too many people either filling up limited space or taking up the time of stretched employees means that those going to spend look elsewhere but the sales numbers say different. At least it does in the this universe, the parallel one you seem to be in may be different of course.
    Exactly. Read my post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    How can you say that? It does tell us that Mall of America has an Apple and MS store but it also gives you an insight on the success of each business on probably the busiest shopping day of the year. How can you possible say that stating that 11 iPads per hour was sold versus 0 surfaces and very few copies of Windows 8 as telling us "nothing"? What do you expect them to tell you? the psychographic of each of person?
    I do not expect them to tell me the psychographics of the customers in that region. However, demographics and geographic's do play a huge part. Who is to say that at another mall in a different part of the country, the MS store didn't outsell the Apple store. In that scenario, what would this survey tell you?

Also, this tell us absolutely nothing about the sales of these two companies on black Friday. Those assumptions would be based on sales of the whole firm, not a single store.
    Last edited by mustard05; 11-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks

Am I the only one who has never heard of a Microsoft store?

Thanks
    I'm sorry but I can only look at this story and laugh.... have you ever been to a Microsoft store? Its desolate!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Something is seriously wrong with the world when there is a team of people employed to do this then the report makes it to a news site and people are talking about it like it has any relevance to anything.