+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Orders Apple to Disclose Details of HTC Licensing Deal to Samsung

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Judge Orders Apple to Disclose Details of HTC Licensing Deal to Samsung

Judge Paul S. Grewal recently ordered Apple to show Samsung the details of its agreement with HTC, which recently brought an end to ongoing litigation by striking a ten-year patent cross-licensing deal. The unredacted version of its HTC settlement is said to be for attorney’s-eyes-only, which means that the details will likely remain out of public reach. The order mentioned the following in specific:

Accordingly, Samsung’s motion to compel production of an unredacted version of the settlement agreement is GRANTED. Apple shall produce the unredacted document without delay subject to an Attorneys-Eyes-Only designation under the protective order already in place in this case.
    Samsung previously argued that it required the complete unredacted version of the agreement as the included licensing terms, which were need to effectively oppose Apple’s bid or a number of permanent injunctions. The South Korean company mentioned that the information would be useful in supporting its argument that a royalty settlement is a “more suitable alternative” to a permanent sales ban.

HTC filed a response with the court declaring that such an action would harm the company if it were to divulge the Apple settlement details. Judge Grewal said the court was “not persuaded” by HTC’s assertions ultimately. He continued by stating that while the court is “more than a little skeptical” of Samsung’s own arguments, they are covered under Rule 26 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure which describes the “duty to disclose; general provisions governing discovery.” Judge Grewal wrote the following in the order; "Many third parties to this case have had their licensing agreements disclosed –without any redaction of financial terms – subject to an Attorneys-Eyes-Only designation because the confidential financial terms were clearly relevant to the dispute between Apple and Samsung.”

Both Apple and HTC previously agreed to disclose a version of the settlement with all financial details redacted but that obviously didn’t work out. The Apple vs. Samsung post-trial proceedings are set to continue with parties meeting a hearing scheduled for December 6, where the companies will discuss their respective motions.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

This is BS! Why should they have to show their deal to Samsuck? If Samsuck wants to hammer out a deal so be it, but it should have nothing to do with other deals made by Apple. The judges in these cases must be real f-tards.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    This is BS! Why should they have to show their deal to Samsuck? If Samsuck wants to hammer out a deal so be it, but it should have nothing to do with other deals made by Apple. The judges in these cases must be real f-tards.
    Agreed

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed 110%. Samsung paying over $1 billion is absurd (lets face it, the jury was just trying to make a statement to all companies about stealing intellectual ideas/property.) But apple having to share there details about the deal they made with HTC is even more absurd.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    iPhone is slowing down and its pissing me off. Apple had the opportunity to put a better features in the iPhone 5 yet they wait it out. iOS 6 could have had features like Mission Control Multitasking, replacement of Spotlight (Dashboard with widgets) and Picture in Picture on the iPad. These devices are more than capable. Steve Jobs said iOS devices would run OS X 10. However, they are just not doing it. People are favoring the Samsung Galaxy S3 because of the features mentioned above plus a few more gimmicks. I will always be an iPad and Mac user but Apple better step it up come iOS 7 on the iPhone or they have lost me as an iPhone user. I'll be switching to the Galaxy S4 if iOS 7 does not impress, not to mention iPhone 5s/6.
    Last edited by whenyourmad; 11-22-2012 at 05:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whenyourmad View Post
    iPhone is slowing down and its pissing me off. Apple had the opportunity to put a better features in the iPhone 5 yet they wait it out. iOS 6 could have had features like Mission Control Multitasking, replacement of Spotlight (Dashboard with widgets) and Picture in Picture on the iPad. These devices are more than capable. Steve Jobs said iOS devices would run OS X 10. However, they are just not doing it. People are favoring the Samsung Galaxy S3 because of the features mentioned above plus a few more gimmicks. I will always be an iPad and Mac user but Apple better step it up come iOS 7 on the iPhone or they have lost me as an iPhone user. I'll be switching to the Galaxy S4 if iOS 7 does not impress, not to mention iPhone 5s/6.
    Where on earth did that come from? Strange person. I don't know what world you live in, but no matter who I talk to whether it be friends or family, and no matter where I go, work, coffee shop, downtown, etc about 90% of people have iPhones now!! They are spreading faster than stds (the good kind...)!! And no one is complaining about the things you just did!!

Anyways...courts suck, judges suck, lawyers suck....this article just once again, reaffirms these thoughts.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe to prove unreasonableness of jury award? Mitigate the dollar amount of the decision. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why, just a fanatic to see why not.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Here, this is for you:
    Last edited by Gamemaster77; 11-23-2012 at 10:34 AM.