+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X 10.9 Will Reportedly Have Siri and Apple Maps

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default OS X 10.9 Will Reportedly Have Siri and Apple Maps

Siri and Apple Maps. Love them or hate them, they donít appear to be going anywhere. In fact, a new report from 9to5Mac now shares that they could be coming to the Mac in OS X 10.9.

Currently, OS X Mountain Lion brings us a dictation feature that can be used to speak to type text. Itís not quite as fully-featured as Siri is on our iOS devices, but this fully-featured version of Siri, allowing users to use their voice to perform search queries and receive intuitive responses, is exactly the feature that Apple appears to be working on bringing to OS X 10.9.

Mac users also have to rely on non-Apple mapping solutions, such as Google Maps, to get directions planned out. In OS X 10.9, we should be seeing integration with Appleís own mapping application, which debuted in iOS 6 and uses services such as TomTom to provide directions. The application, like in iOS, will use its own vector images and services.

Currently both of these features would be considered in their beta stages for iOS, so itís hoped that by the time they are brought to OS X they will be a little further in their maturity and capabilities. Appleís maps have a tendency to show distorted images and Siri might not always catch what you say or might bring up something totally different from what you had wanted.

Thereís also more than a good chance that iCloud could be involved with keeping the two services in sync between your iOS devices and Mac.

Are you looking forward to these new features on your Mac?

Sources: 9to5Mac

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

This will be cool can't wait to see if it happens

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can see how Siri can be useful, but how would maps be useful?
    Actually I shouldn't even comment I'm still on 10.7.

Thanks

I don't really see the need for Siri on a computer...especially considering that Siri is only batting about 0.500 when I ask it to do something on my phone...but it'd still be fun to play with.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Go siri
    Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I don't really see the need for Siri on a computer...especially considering that Siri is only batting about 0.500 when I ask it to do something on my phone...but it'd still be fun to play with.
    I think siri can be useful, especially when you're home and don't want to be bothered with the iphone or even to look things up on the computer, plus this is a step in further increasing what Siri will be capable of in the future.

Thanks

When I bought my iPhone 4S, everyone wanted to use Siri. I honestly do not use Siri as I find it easier for me to just look up things myself. I mean it could be useful for some people, but I am not one of them. Now having Siri on OS X is something I won't like either as I most likely wont use it.

Apple Maps is just another add-on they don't really need to add. I have Apple Maps on my phone and that's good enough for me as I always have my phone on me. I'm not going to carry my macbook pro around to figure out where I'm going. Also no need to print out directions since I have a live GPS on my phone.

So in all, I don't think adding Siri and Apple Maps to 10.9 will be that much of an improvement.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me guess, only Retina Display MACs will have access to Siri?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Lol - better than Jose Canseco!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach B. View Post
    When I bought my iPhone 4S, everyone wanted to use Siri. I honestly do not use Siri as I find it easier for me to just look up things myself. I mean it could be useful for some people, but I am not one of them. Now having Siri on OS X is something I won't like either as I most likely wont use it.

Apple Maps is just another add-on they don't really need to add. I have Apple Maps on my phone and that's good enough for me as I always have my phone on me. I'm not going to carry my macbook pro around to figure out where I'm going. Also no need to print out directions since I have a live GPS on my phone.

So in all, I don't think adding Siri and Apple Maps to 10.9 will be that much of an improvement.
    I would view it as a positive addition: Siri for when you're too lazy to google, and maps as a lightweight replacement for your google earth app.
    Last edited by ohthatguyagain; 11-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach B. View Post

Good thing you aren't the only Apple customer out there.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

More beta testing so then?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Lol - better than Jose Canseco!!

I would view it as a positive addition: Siri for when you're too lazy to google, and maps as a lightweight replacement for your google earth app.
    For people with disabilities siri can be useful. laziness is not a disability. you can search much quicker by typing in you want on google than having siri incorrectly look up information.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    + 10,000,000,000

Also, when will OS X start being updated with new features rather than just new applications? Seems that's all the innovation they're doing anymore. OS 11 will likely bring nothing more than Passbook for Mac.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Certde View Post
    + 10,000,000,000

Also, when will OS X start being updated with new features rather than just new applications? Seems that's all the innovation they're doing anymore. OS 11 will likely bring nothing more than Passbook for Mac.
    It Siri does come to OSX and my 2012 Retina doesnt get Siri I will be pissed. I will prob never purchase an Apple product again. I am tired of there BS tactics trying to force people to upgrade devices and machines that are only a couple years old.

Thanks
    I would love siri on my Macbook. I could change movies without getting up when you chillin with a sexy lady you trying to impress. Send emails and surfing the web without pressing a key i hope. Maybe I love the hands free tweak in cydia.

Thanks
    Nah...I'm still on Lion, and will probably never upgrade to Mountain Lion. Siri would be nice on the Mac, but i'd still rather use Google Earth for directions than Apple's dreaded maps app

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    For people with disabilities siri can be useful. laziness is not a disability. you can search much quicker by typing in you want on google than having siri incorrectly look up information.
    Unfortunately for me siri pulls up the correct web sites that I search, plays the movie or song i ask for, and it opens the app I ask for. Convenience is not just for the disabled.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    Ya but since comps are open source it will be a simple port.

Guys there isn't much point to maps but keep in mind people use google maps and earth all the time sometimes it's just fun.

Siri will be great since there's already dictation but being able to say commands like "open safari " "new window" etc. could actually prove more functionality then phone dictation etc.

Thanks

apple maps sucks it took me like 4 miles the wrong way.. if it wasnt for google maps id have been f**ked

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekid05's Avatar
    Thanks

i think everyone will hype it up at first then forget about it...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are you all forgetting that OSX already can open apps, get emails, save documents and a lot more by just speaking to your mac.

It's all in speakable items in the accessibility panel of the system preferences.

It's basically a simple version of Siri but local to your mac, which doesn't need an Internet connection to work.

You can all enable now, it's been on Apple Macs for at least 10 years!
    And it customisable, you can make your own spoken commands and have your mac perform a task.

Granted its not as sophisticated as Siri but it can be useful.

Give it a go!