+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Messages Beta for OS X Lion Will Expire December 14th

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Messages Beta for OS X Lion Will Expire December 14th

Apple offered a beta version of Messages for Mac for Mac OS X Lion users, so they could get a taste of what iMessage would be like on the Mac before OS X Mountain Lion came out. OS X Mountain Lion came out already and has a non-beta version of the Messages application bundled into it.

Apple has sent out e-mails to Messages beta users today explaining that Messages beta for Mac OS X Lion will expire on December 14th. This gives users about another month to use the application before they will have to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion to continue using iMessage on the Mac:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    The Messages Beta program for Lion will end on Friday, December 14, 2012. We hope you’ve enjoyed the opportunity to preview Messages.

If you’d like to continue using Messages, upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. Messages is one of many great new apps and features built right into OS X Mountain Lion. Learn More.

Thank you for your participation in the Messages Beta program.
    When the Messages beta application expires for Mac OS X Lion users, they will still be able to use iChat instead. It is highly recommended, however, that these users consider upgrading to OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store because for only $19.99, the upgrade includes many great additional features.

While Mac OS X Lion users won’t be able to send iMessages from their Mac OS X Lion machine anymore after December 14th, they will still be able to resume iMessage activity on their iOS devices and other OS X Mountain Lion machines where applicable.

Oh well… it was fun while it lasted.

Sources: AppleInsider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No hope in porting it over? Perhaps not so much a port as just copying the different version. It's probably more complicated than I think.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

iMessage on the Mac wasn't worth using until they bound mobile numbers to apple id's. people hated texting to my email. Now it's great though.

Thanks

so apple is trying to strong arm users who are perfectly happy with lion to upgrade if they wish to continue using iMessage on their mac? this is the kind of move that clearly shows where apple's priorities are: blatantly squeezing more profits out of loyal customers, just because they think they can

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Messages is alright. I personally wouldn't upgrade to ML just for that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    iMessage on the Mac wasn't worth using until they bound mobile numbers to apple id's. people hated texting to my email. Now it's great though.
    totally agreed. The Worst!! - I also dig how you can facetime and imessage over wifi, (saying that because my parents are travelling and they can use the hotels wifi to facetime me.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    that really sucks!! i have a ipad, iphone and macbookpro... most of my day to day work is on my mac. when i get a imessage on my idevices its nice to know that i can reply back on my very own personal macbook...without having to hunt down my iphone or ipad..

when i am on the road and i get a link on imessage to view, i can always go to my mac at a later time to review the link on a bigger screen.

so much for those features

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twitchee3 View Post
    so apple is trying to strong arm users who are perfectly happy with lion to upgrade if they wish to continue using iMessage on their mac? this is the kind of move that clearly shows where apple's priorities are: blatantly squeezing more profits out of loyal customers, just because they think they can
    They always said it was going to beta what did you expect?
    I think everyone agrees twenty dollars isn't much.
    I'm on Lion and I never used the iMessage feature.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

You're joking right?? I almost know for certain that you DIDN'T purchase a MacBook or an iMac, because you wouldn't be b*tching about $20 software if you paid $1,700+ for the Hardware it runs on...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,665 Times in 2,567 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    You're joking right?? I almost know for certain that you DIDN'T purchase a MacBook or an iMac, because you wouldn't be b*tching about $20 software if you paid $1,700+ for the Hardware it runs on...
    Not just this. I have all that hardware as well. Including
    A new iMac. But my MacBook is an 07 model. Which can not be updated to mountain lion. So I'm suppose to buy a new computer ? So I can stay up to date with the OS? I think not. Ha. We will see where this leads to tho I may wind up writing a nasty email about this. Thanks for the info hope everyone has a good day

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    i purchased my macbook pro within the last year for work. i work in the professional audio industry and use my mac for mixing & mastering. because the programs i use (pro tools) don't always play nice with new OS versions (besides the fact that i don't need any of the features in mountain lion), it would be a stupid move to potentially cripple my productivity in order to be on the latest version of OS X. this is a very common practice for power users that use their macs professionally by the way.

and my gripe comes from the fact that they released a 'beta' version of the app to a platform they obviously never intended to support anyway. so, basically, they went out of their way to get users used to a feature that they then yanked away for no other reason than to potentially convince some of those users to update for $20. this move was driven exclusively by apple's hunger for profit. i mean, what does apple have to lose by continuing to let me use the app already installed on my computer? NOTHING, except the $20 they think they may get from my upgrade if they disable it in lion.
    Last edited by twitchee3; 11-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i purchased my macbook pro within the last year for work. i work in the professional audio industry and use my mac for mixing & mastering. because the programs i use (pro tools) don't always play nice with new OS versions (besides the fact that i don't need any of the features in mountain lion), it would be a stupid move to potentially cripple my productivity in order to be on the latest version of OS X. this is a very common practice for power users that use their macs professionally by the way.

and my gripe comes from the fact that they released a 'beta' version of the app to a platform they obviously never intended to support anyway. so, basically, they went out of their way to get users used to a feature that they then yanked away for no other reason than to potentially convince some of those users to update for $20. this move was driven exclusively by apple's hunger for profit. i mean, what does apple have to lose by continuing to let me use the app already installed on my computer? NOTHING, except the $20 they think they may get from my upgrade if they disable it in lion.
    They made the beta to work out bugs, not to screw people over, most people don't use iMessage on their computer anyways. There are a LOT of bugs in the beta that they fixed in mountain lion. Plus they've always said that they will never support iMessage for lion. Plus iMessage for osx is only useful if you have a phone number bound to your apple Id, which the beta doesn't support. People hate texting to an email and creating a separate conversation, I hated it. Besides AirPlay mirroring, iMessage was the only other feature I was looking forward to on mountain lion.

Thanks

Plus iMessage for osx is only useful if you have a phone number bound to your apple Id
    That depends. It makes a great IM service for your friends with Apple devices. A few of my buddies don't have iPhones – only an iPad or iPod touch and I use it to message them daily.

Thanks

They made the beta to work out bugs, not to screw people over, most people don't use iMessage on their computer anyways. There are a LOT of bugs in the beta that they fixed in mountain lion. Plus they've always said that they will never support iMessage for lion. Plus iMessage for osx is only useful if you have a phone number bound to your apple Id, which the beta doesn't support. People hate texting to an email and creating a separate conversation, I hated it. Besides AirPlay mirroring, iMessage was the only other feature I was looking forward to on mountain lion.
    makes a lot of sense to beta test on a platform the app will never be supported on. apple uses developers for real 'beta' testing, not end users. perhaps it was known all along that they wouldn't support it on lion, but there's still no valid excuse for them disabling an app i'm perfectly happy with, other than profit of course. sadly, that seems to be an excuse for just about anything these days

Thanks

makes a lot of sense to beta test on a platform the app will never be supported on. apple uses developers for real 'beta' testing, not end users. perhaps it was known all along that they wouldn't support it on lion, but there's still no valid excuse for them disabling an app i'm perfectly happy with, other than profit of course. sadly, that seems to be an excuse for just about anything these days
    Well it makes perfect sense to me, because they wanted to get it right before they included it in OS X Mountain Lion.

There has been a pattern of users getting angry with Apple for including beta software with public releases (Siri, Maps, etc). Since this would have caused an uprising, because frankly you can't please everybody, I think what Apple did by letting users test it on Lion first was the right direction for Messages for Mac.

Hopefully you've enjoyed your run with the beta test. It's usually common for beta software to have an expiration date.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-17-2012 at 02:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can not send photos in iMessage for the last week but used to do it ALL the time.

I believe I paid the $15 or $20 recently to upgrade from Bata, I am now on full version of iMessage but all the sudden I can not SEND Pictures from my iMac in iMessage but I can on my iPhone or iPad.

My iMac is Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60). any idea how to fix?