Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple's Australian Operation Has 'Taxing' Problem

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,847
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

    Default Apple's Australian Operation Has 'Taxing' Problem


    It's a good thing Apple is well capitalized. The Mac maker is going to need to pull from its vast reserves of riches to pay a nagging little tax bill that surfaced from the land down under this week according to published reports out of Australia.

    The Brisbane Times says that the Australian Tax Office has slapped Apple with a fee of $28.5 million in back taxes. All told, the situation is born of a recent crackdown by nations across the world (but mostly in Europe) to combat corporate tax evasion.

    Paperwork filed with corporate regulators around the world reveals the Australian arms of Apple, Google and eBay form part of these structures, held at arm's length from their US parents through intermediary companies located in tax havens.
    Because it is illegal for the ATO to speak publicly about individual cases, we aren't getting much additional insight into the details surrounding Apple's particular circumstances. It goes without saying, of course, that Apple isn't commenting on that matter.

    Source: Brisbane Times

  2. #2
    Damn that reminds me. I have to do my taxes o.O

  3. #3
    I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar company forgets to pay taxes... I understand that company's going into foreclosure and smaller end company's try to avoid taxes (sometimes not generalizing here.) but talking bout the worlds most profitable company (which closed out today at a market cap of $496.4 billion) forgets to pay a $30 million in taxes? Sorry, but hard to believe.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar company forgets to pay taxes... I understand that company's going into foreclosure and smaller end company's try to avoid taxes (sometimes not generalizing here.) but talking bout the worlds most profitable company (which closed out today at a market cap of $496.4 billion) forgets to pay a $30 million in taxes? Sorry, but hard to believe.
    The bigger the corporation the more effort they put into tax evasion. Just an everyday fact of corporate life. Apple tried to avoid paying some tax and got busted. Most likely though they still managed to avoid paying as much tax as they really should of. Plenty of other corporations in Australia get busted by the ATO every year.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    The bigger the corporation the more effort they put into tax evasion. Just an everyday fact of corporate life. Apple tried to avoid paying some tax and got busted. Most likely though they still managed to avoid paying as much tax as they really should of. Plenty of other corporations in Australia get busted by the ATO every year.
    I'm not saying your wrong by any means, just in my personal experience I've seen it a lot more in smaller companies, but facts don't lie, apple tried to avoid and got busted, I'm just shocked is what I was trying to say

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I'm not saying your wrong by any means, just in my personal experience I've seen it a lot more in smaller companies, but facts don't lie, apple tried to avoid and got busted, I'm just shocked is what I was trying to say
    I guess I'm more jaded than you. I would of been shocked if Apple hadn't tried to avoid paying taxes LOL

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    I guess I'm more jaded than you. I would of been shocked if Apple hadn't tried to avoid paying taxes LOL
    Haha well having two points of view makes the world go round

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Haha well having two points of view makes the world go round
    having *many* points of view makes the world go round.... don't be deluded into the fantasy of politics. the age old strategy of divide & conquer is still very effective in tearing humanity apart

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •