Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMacs Rumored to be Delayed Until 2013

Thanks

Default iMacs Rumored to be Delayed Until 2013

After Tim Cook revealed that there would be a “significant shortage” of the newly redesigned iMac, a recent report claims manufacturing difficulties may push back the all-in-one’s launch date into next year. It is being rumored that Apple’s new iMac models may not be ready for sales ahead of the holiday shopping season, speculating that the company’s advanced welding process is to blame for the delay.

The redesigned iMac was unveiled in October and features an advanced assembly technique called friction-stir welding, which uses high heat and pressure to “intermix the molecules of the two aluminum surface” to create a seamless joint. In order to achieve maximum thinness, the iMac’s optical drive was removed, which is a design decision that has slimmed down other Apple products as well including the MacBook Air and the latest MacBook Pros with Retina display.

Furthermore, adding to the high difficulty of manufacturing is the iMac’s screen lamination process, which eliminates the 2mm air gap between the display and front glass seen in legacy models. It was previously predicted that the processes involved in manufacturing the new iMac would cause supply constraints for the initial batch of machines. In the meantime, current availability of the desktop continues to remain unchanged on the Online Apple Store, which shows November and December launch windows for the 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs, respectively.

Source: MacBidouille (via Google Translate)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Still patiently waiting for a loaded 27"...

Good gives me time to save up! Or see if anyone buys it for me for my bday.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

This news makes me sad.

Likely going to be a ***** to repair by the layperson....