+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Graphic Issues Plague a Number of Retina MacBook Pro Owners after EFI Update

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Graphic Issues Plague a Number of Retina MacBook Pro Owners after EFI Update

According to separate threads on the Apple Support Communities forum, some 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro users are experiencing noticeable drops in graphics and processor performance after having updated their machines to the latest EFI (extensible firmware interface) version. These issues include drastically clipped frame rates when running graphics-intensive programs.

As of right now, it isnít clear whether the firmware is to blame. Many owners feel the updated has been detrimental to how the system seems to respond to heavy workloads. The issue seems to be most pronounced when waking a computer from sleep, playing a graphic intensive game or operating Windows in boot camp. When under heavy load, the CPU, GPU or both seem to be underclocked as core temperatures reach or exceed supposedly conservative thresholds.

It is being speculated that the computerís firmware may not correctly be communicating with the thermal sensors, with the threshold presets being conservatively low or with the presence of an error with the systems management. On its website, Intel notes that the Tjunction maximum, or highest operating temperature specification, of the processors used in the Retina MacBook Pro is 105 degrees Celsius, a threshold much higher than the number that users are seeing throttles at. The issue points toward the problem lying in how the thermal management system handles the data from the digital thermal sensors (DTS), which is an important part of calculating a processorís Tjunction. One thing to note here is that Intel chips, like most modern CPUs, have built-in thermal shutdown capabilities to prevent permanent damage to the silicon.

The issue that continues to bug many Retina MacBook Pro owners is the fact that the hardware operated without any issues prior to EFI version 1.0. Some users have found that resetting the SMC or flashing the PRAM solves the problem temporarily however the fix is obviously not permanent and owners report reoccurrence after the computer wakes from sleep.

Have any of you experienced such issues on your 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro?

Source: Apple (Support Forum) via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell, it was bad enough that the new crap they call the Mac Mini is having video problems. Mine is hooked via HDMI to a brand new LG monitor. At least 6 times a day the monitor will blank out and then come back on while you are using it. Sometimes when coming back from its blank out it will have interference that requires the monitor to be turned off. Does it on my LG, Samsung and Dell monitors. Apparently a well reported problem on the Apple support Forum, Mac Rumors and elsewhere. In addition to the monitor blanking out the light colors look extremely washed out. Calling Apple support is useless. The times I called they won't acknowledge there is a problem and there solution is to drive over a 100 miles to the nearest Apple affiliate repair center to let them look at it and then them not be able to do anything with it. They've already replaced numerous other people's and it hasn't solved their problems. Crap hardware, poor testing procedures, and other platforms from Apple now having problems. No wonder Apple appears to be starting a downward spiral. I wish now that I had of just kept my mid 2011 with the discrete graphics card instead of returning it for this turd of a machine.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks
    I thought it was just me but I recently noticed it taking longer to wake up when I open the cover... Screen turns on but no mouse or keyboard activity for around 7-10 seconds, not sure if this is normal as this is my first MacBook Pro...

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0055 View Post
    I thought it was just me but I recently noticed it taking longer to wake up when I open the cover... Screen turns on but no mouse or keyboard activity for around 7-10 seconds, not sure if this is normal as this is my first MacBook Pro...
    No, it is not just you. It should not take so long to wake up.

And my retina is also plagued with issues. Quite disappointing for a machine that costs so much. I will never again purchase a hight dollar machine from Apple.

And I forgot to mention that my machine is already loosing pixels like it's no body business.
    Last edited by mustard05; 11-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is a good news for me. Good that I didn't get one yet

Thanks

lol at all the people raging over a small software bug, nobody forced you to upgrade the efi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    lol at all the people raging over a small software bug, nobody forced you to upgrade the efi.

This is why I read forums. It always a pleasure to read comments that make me laugh. Ignorant people. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    This is a good news for me. Good that I didn't get one yet
    It is even better new for me that you dont have one. Can you guess why?
    Last edited by mustard05; 11-14-2012 at 08:19 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That is why I always don't buy apples latest and greatest. I wait a year before apple has something out on the market.

Thanks
    So you knew not to upgrade or wait do you even have one? 😊

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0055 View Post
    So you knew not to upgrade or wait do you even have one? ��
    You should NEVER upgrade the system firmware unless you need to.
    Unless you use NetBoot (boot the computer without a HDD from a network) and have been having problems with it then you should not have upgraded.

Its like changing the foundations of your house just because a newer one is available.

Thanks

You should NEVER upgrade the system firmware unless you need to.
    Unless you use NetBoot (boot the computer without a HDD from a network) and have been having problems with it then you should not have upgraded.

Its like changing the foundations of your house just because a newer one is available.
    With that logic people would never upgrade or purchase a new house, car, phone, etc etc.

If the update was supposed to fix a problem that people were having with the computers then the best thing a user could do is wait to see if people start reporting the update as a fix or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    With that logic people would never upgrade or purchase a new house, car, phone, etc etc.

If the update was supposed to fix a problem that people were having with the computers then the best thing a user could do is wait to see if people start reporting the update as a fix or not.
    Its not uncommon for computers to become bricked because of firmware upgrades, with efi its less common then with bios but it still happens.