+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Foxconn Reportedly Exploring U.S. Plant Options

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple's fiercest critics may lose (at least partially) one of their key discussion points if a new rumor becomes reality in the new year. Apple's Asian-based manufacturing partner Foxconn is
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Foxconn Reportedly Exploring U.S. Plant Options

Apple's fiercest critics may lose (at least partially) one of their key discussion points if a new rumor becomes reality in the new year.

Apple's Asian-based manufacturing partner Foxconn is certainly not about to bolt on Asia in order to move its entire outfit to North America, but the company that helps produce millions of iPhones may still open one or more manufacturning plants in the United States.

According to published reports Thursday, Foxonn may set up shop in either Los Angeles, California or Detroit, Michigan sometime in the coming year. "Since the manufacturing of Apple's products is rather complicated," Digitimes reports, "the market watchers expect the rumored plants to focus on LCD TV production, which can be highly automated and easier."

For now, this may be as close as we get to seeing Apple products "made in the USA." But it remains a positive sign and one that will likely be warmly embraced by many Apple fans and critics alike.

Source: Digitimes

Thanks

I really hope this goes through. I would by a new iDevice just to see the "made in the USA" on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

The start of the 'fall of Apple'....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Foxconn would have to pay exponentially higher wages, and charge the likes of Apple exponentially higher costs, which in turn would exponentially increase the cost of a device for the consumer.

What's Jailbreak?
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony9592 View Post
    I really hope this goes through. I would by a new iDevice just to see the "made in the USA" on the back.
    Hell Yea Sounds good "United States of Apple" on all of our Apple products

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony9592 View Post
    Like they do with the 'designed in..'?! Oh no wait...

But then why narrow it down to a state. I'd like them to put 'made in factories' on the back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Foxconn would have to pay exponentially higher wages, and charge the likes of Apple exponentially higher costs, which in turn would exponentially increase the cost of a device for the consumer.
    Why?? It will be a automated factory making things that require very few people! And the fact apple will likely pay most of the build costs! Use up some of the interest they have coming in!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Why?? It will be a automated factory making things that require very few people! And the fact apple will likely pay most of the build costs! Use up some of the interest they have coming in!
    Labor pay in China is very cheap, so they got to compensate enforcing quality control and automating the system so their costs can emulate almost China which never will be similar but with more quality. Anyways if they still opening more factories here in USA, yes thats good for us, more employment, but I see a higher cost per unit in future iPhones and iPads. So be ready for the next Mini iPad 2 for $450.00
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Green Apple
    Thanks

i wont buy an apple product if days worth of child labor isnt poured into it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Labor pay in China is very cheap, so they got to compensate enforcing quality control and automating the system so their costs can emulate almost China which never will be similar but with more quality. Anyways if they still opening more factories here in USA, yes thats good for us, more employment, but I see a higher cost per unit in future iPhones and iPads. So be ready for the next Mini iPad 2 for $450.00
    Why would it be more quality just because it is made in the USA....this is a rumour that will never happen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You guys need to get a grip. It says LCD TV manufacturing. What that means, well frankly no one has any idea. Maybe it's screens, maybe it's TV's, and maybe this never happens.

And just because things are made in America doesn't mean quality. Have you driven a Ford lately?

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese car companies moved manufacturing here many years ago with good results. So what if component X goes from $1 to $3 to make, Apple will charge $10 more, fanboyz will pay, everybody's happy.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't know if Foxconn is up for the challenge ya know like the whole crazy law about human rights!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    You guys need to get a grip. It says LCD TV manufacturing. What that means, well frankly no one has any idea. Maybe it's screens, maybe it's TV's, and maybe this never happens.

And just because things are made in America doesn't mean quality. Have you driven a Ford lately?

Agreed on that ford part

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone does realize that Foxconn has more clients than Apple right? What the article is stating is that since they are spending so much time on Apple products and the likes, they are thinking of building a factory here to outsource some of their production of LCD TV's, etc. They aren't going to be making iPhone's.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Umm I have a 2010 Ford F150 Fx4 and it demolishes any other truck on the road. In terms of comfort, luxury, modern, and hauling. So FO!

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ninja View Post
    Umm I have a 2010 Ford F150 Fx4 and it demolishes any other truck on the road. In terms of comfort, luxury, modern, and hauling. So FO!
    Haha. Crappy F150. I have a Focus but that F150 is ridiculously bad. It's like all the parts come from different cars that don't quite fit together.

European Fords also have a higher build quality than American Fords. I think it's down to the competition from the brilliant German cars.

Remember how they sued Ferrari for naming their F1 car the Ferrari F150?!

Lmao!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post

I have driven two fords so far with no issues.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha