+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's FRAND Lawsuit Against Motorola Unexpectedly Tossed

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The build-up was certainly more exciting than the end result - at least for now. On Monday, Apple's lawsuit against Motorola, which alleged shady licensing practices against the Google-owned entity,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple's FRAND Lawsuit Against Motorola Unexpectedly Tossed

The build-up was certainly more exciting than the end result - at least for now.

On Monday, Apple's lawsuit against Motorola, which alleged shady licensing practices against the Google-owned entity, was tossed and cut short before a trial could begin in earnest.

Judge Barbara Crabb dismissed the case with "prejudice." In practical English, that means Apple could still get the trial it wants, but it must first successfully appeal the judge's decision.

After Apple first filed suit against Motorola way back in the spring of 2011, the Apple v. Motorola Mobility trial was scheduled to finally commence Monday at 1 PM. But it never made it to the magic hour.

Things had gone mostly Apple's way up until last week, Foss Patents blogger Florian Mueller wrote, when the Google-owned Motorola filed a motion that would have required Apple to adhere to whatever the court decided was a fair royalty rate. But Apple played hardball, saying it would only agree to a court-determined rate if the rate didn't exceed $1 per iPhone.
    So after a grand set-up and long-awaited showdown, it no longer appears that Apple and Motorola will imminently lock horns in the court of law. But no one expects the underlying issues to suddenly go ignored or become forgotten.

In other words... Stay tuned for round two.

Source: CNET

Banned
    Thanks

The heading is wrong. Knowing its from Apple it should be FRAUD lawsuit.
    Everything else they do is dodgy so are the lawsuits.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,077 Times in 800 Posts

Appl£ should just get a meeting with Motarolla and come to an agreement, Appl£ shouldn't have taken it to the courts IMHO.

Appl£ has patents too, do they licence them and if so, I bet they have a fix nonnegotiable price.

why does Appl£ always have to create an issue?

Appl£ should change its name to Miser
    Last edited by dsg; 11-06-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks

It seems to me that companies, or at least companies in the mobile industry, have a carte blanch to copy and mime what other competitors have created and implemented.

The risk/reward certainly favors the act of thieving and profiting. With avoiding R&D, using a successful technology/look & feel/etc. (patent) and gaining massive $$$ at the risk of:
    1) no trial
    2) no guilty verdict
    3) verdict with little or no penalties of worth
    4) guilty verdict that is appealed and overturned

The risk reward analysis of "doing wrong" for great profit at a statistical likelihood cost of pennies on the dollar, is becoming common place in all walks of life. In other words, intentionally break the law at profit to yourself as the cost of being punished is minimal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It amazes me that people (and corporations) think it's perfectly alright to use another's "technology" for their own use.
    It amazes me that people (and corporations) think a patent holder should not hold another entity accountable for their actions.

(I am not claiming Apple is exempt)

On the other hand, since our society (the US in particular) is flushing personal (and corporate) accountability down the drain I shouldn't really be amazed. It is, after all, the status quo.
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 11-06-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    The heading is wrong. Knowing its from Apple it should be FRAUD lawsuit.
    Everything else they do is dodgy so are the lawsuits.
    You're honestly annoying, you're implying Google doesn't do the same thing. You clearly prefer Android so why are you still here? Why not bash Apple somewhere else? Search Google antitrust in your preferred search engine and shut the help up. You're worse than an iSheep and a Fandroid put together.

On topic: These lawsuits are just getting annoying and are just baiting trolls like Dsg (Above, got owned for thinking Apple trademarked the actual word 'Lion' and edited out his comments due to embarrassment) NakedFaerie who is always bashing on Apple regardless of success or mistakes (Clearly a Fandroid who has all the time he needs to troll) Unison666 (Another blatant troll) Just warning all you guys about the constant trolling ModMyi is receiving. Don't get me wrong, I'm sick of Apple's childish behavior and their idiotic ways but to make it seem, in other words, to imply that Google does no evil is blatant trolling and rather - annoying. That is all.

dsg
    Thanks

how is what you said on topic, this small little bit:

On topic: These lawsuits are just getting annoying
    your just blatantly bashing people, so stfu

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-06-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

+1 for Google

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    how is what you said on topic, this small little bit:

your just blatantly bashing people, so stfu
    LOL and you just bash on Apple without even reading the article. Remember the whole 'Lion' trademark? You got owned so YOU stfu. You even had to edit out your comments due to the embarrassment. Nice try troll. Oh and here is the article of which you failed in: USPTO Awards Apple Trademark for "Lion"
    Last edited by xLastWishx; 11-06-2012 at 01:48 PM.

dsg
    Thanks

Your the troll, you just like to make people feel worthless, I admit I was wrong in that thread. could you do the same?

Edit: and even in that thread you linked to, you only wanted to stick the boot in

Quote Originally Posted by xLastWishx
    I'm guessing your IQ is the same as the amount of letters in your username

Edit: Appl£ make great products then they let their self down by being arrogant and pigheaded

they should have just come to an agreement with motorola, this shouldn't have come to the courts
    Last edited by dsg; 11-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Is there any surprise?
    When you do not respect court decision and comply why would the courts take Apple seriously? Want the examples of Apple's latest "shenanigans":
    1. Court ordered Apple to apologize but Apple took a stab at the court order, cause the judge to order Apple put an ad on newspaper.
    2. By setting payment limit. Says I will pay what the court says as long as it is less than a $1.
    If you do not respect court decision by setting a limit and make a public statement like that, why would court respect you as a company?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-06-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Your the troll, you just like to make people feel worthless, I admit I was wrong in that thread. could you do the same?

Edit: and even in that thread you linked to, you only wanted to stick the boot in

Edit: Appl£ make great products then they let their self down by being arrogant and pigheaded

they should have just come to an agreement with motorola, this shouldn't have come to the courts
    I'm just sick of the constant trolling - like honestly I don't agree with Apple's ways as much as Google's. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your statement entirely I have NOTHING against you just trolling and pure hate towards either company. My apologies for that comment though had you read the article then by all means I wouldn't have said it.

PS. Try blaming Apple's CEO aka Tim Cook, he honestly should have pulled out of this whole lawsuit BS and asked everyone to just lower their 'weapons' and stop this whole suing crap. Samsung too.

Overall just remember I only attack the troll - not you the person behind the screen. Since I don't know you I won't judge but the person you portray over the internet - be it an actual user or a troll if you blatantly didn't read the article I will attack.