+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Number of Android Apps Approaching Total iOS App Inventory

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 yeah cos the ios app store is chock full of more quality than the android app store... Almost every "quality" app on ios is available for
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    yeah cos the ios app store is chock full of more quality than the android app store...
    Almost every "quality" app on ios is available for android. So both stores have the same quality.
    this +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    For Android my answer to the "fart apps" comments is usually how many of the Android app are malware that will steal your info and try to take over your phone.

Or, how many of them are just poorly-written data/energy vampires that are constantly eating resources and data.
    Didn't Apple recently have an app in the app store that collected data on people's iPhones? Yes, I do believe I remember seeing an article about that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple knows very well android is catching up in terms of total numbers of apps available. I think Apple is slowly switching they're app stores moto from "we have the most apps" to "we have quality apps".

In my opinion, they emphasized a lot more about the app quality in they're last presentation then they ever did.. It almost always been about numbers up to this point. However not in their last iPad mini event. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

What about apps that are specifically designed for tablets though? How many iPad specific apps and tablet apps in Google play are there? Just to clear up any confusion by tablet apps I mean an app specifically designed for a tablet rather than a glorified pixel doubled mobile phone application

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Yeah cos the iOS App Store is chock full of more quality than the Android App Store...
    Almost every "quality" app on iOS is available for Android. So both stores have the same quality.
    Not true. Take TomTom navigation as a prime example. As far as I know they have yet to release a version for Android. There are many other examples to. The call of duty games were never originally made available to Android and until Facebook bought instagram neither was that available for Android...
    Last edited by aidanharris; 10-31-2012 at 05:26 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really don't care which one has the most apps. I'm still going to use the platform that I'm most comfortable with. I'll never understand why people who claim they don't like a certain OS, or company are always on that site. There has to be some reason why you're trolling. I just don't get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Searched tom tom. Got a boat load of crapware lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Number of Android Apps Approaching Total iOS App Inventory-screenshot_2012-10-31-21-08-26.png  

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Also alot of those apps on the Google store are just mods apps, add sounds profiles, themes, and etc.... I don't consider those real apps, those are just mods. Take those outta play and see what the number is then??? LOL :P
    Numbers don't matter, quality does. iOS is full if really crappy apps.

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    What about apps that are specifically designed for tablets though? How many iPad specific apps and tablet apps in Google play are there? Just to clear up any confusion by tablet apps I mean an app specifically designed for a tablet rather than a glorified pixel doubled mobile phone application

Not true. Take TomTom navigation as a prime example. As far as I know they have yet to release a version for Android. There are many other examples to. The call of duty games were never originally made available to Android and until Facebook bought instagram neither was that available for Android...
    That's few apps dude. Instagram wasn't even that old and was in the work for Android. They only had 4 developers before Facebook bought them out.
    Last edited by rockyseay; 10-31-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Numbers don't matter, quality does. iOS is full if really crappy apps.
    They both have their fair share of crappy apps boosting numbers. I have to say the google play stores crappy apps take it to a different level though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Most of the apps I've tried through Apple I don't like.
    I've been an iphone user since 3G, 3GS, 4, and now the 5.
    In all that time, I've acquired about 50 apps from itunes.
    Everything else has been purchased after I have jailbroken my phones.
    Ever notice how the jailbroken apps come out, and a year later it's being offered in itunes?
    (Don't get me wrong, at least the apps aren't malware like some of the Android apps...700% INCREASE
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8sROEI9NML9pEg[/B]

iPhone? More like MyPhone fredHD's Avatar
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post

Hahahaha tom tom navigation. We've had Google navigation for as long as I can remember. Those apps might have started on iOS,but guess what. Android has them now, so what's your argument now? Those days of saying the iOS app store has apps Google doesn't are gone. Thee isn't an app that the iPhone has that there isn't an android equivalent for.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Half of the 700,000 on android are full of nothing but malware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    Hahahaha tom tom navigation. We've had Google navigation for as long as I can remember. Those apps might have started on iOS,but guess what. Android has them now, so what's your argument now? Those days of saying the iOS app store has apps Google doesn't are gone. Thee isn't an app that the iPhone has that there isn't an android equivalent for.
    "equivalent" basically means similar but not the same. Many of the apps available for the iPad and iPad mini for example are also available on Android but users don't have the same experience. This video illustrates my point pretty well:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kT_KxIZZJI

Even apps that are available for iOS and android there are still problems due to its fragmentation. To give an example of this in the UK the BBC has an app for their iPlayer that allows you to watch their program's. It works fine on all versions of iOS although does not work on my parents Android handsets since they need Adobe flash player which as you probably know (if you don't your hearing it first from me ) Adobe doesn't make flash any more and never made a version that worked with my parents version of Android and their handsets. This problem is something that I don't think has ever or will ever happen with any iOS applications /rant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    I can name a few:
    iTeleport, there are vnc apps in google play but they don't compare to iteleport with ease of use both on the device and the remote devices with setup.
    MMi app
    Tivo app
    Find iPhone works way better than any android "equivalent".
    Tweetbot, sure there are good twitter apps in google play, but there is no tweetbot.
    Maps.....whoops, how'd that one get in here lol

Also, while I agree google navigation has been around a long time correct me if I am wrong but don't you need data for it to work? For international people who travel like me having the maps preloaded like tom tom does is a big plus, no data required for it to work.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Let the war begin!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely quality over quantity! I probably only use about 20-25 apps outside the main one's that come with the iPhone, I could really care less about all the others. Even if Android passed Apple it wouldn't factor in to my decision of what to purchase (iPhone or Android).
    Last edited by steve-z17; 11-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks

just lol. some people cease to amaze me

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I can name a few:
    iTeleport, there are vnc apps in google play but they don't compare to iteleport with ease of use both on the device and the remote devices with setup.
    MMi app
    Tivo app
    Find iPhone works way better than any android "equivalent".
    Tweetbot, sure there are good twitter apps in google play, but there is no tweetbot.
    Maps.....whoops, how'd that one get in here lol

Also, while I agree google navigation has been around a long time correct me if I am wrong but don't you need data for it to work? For international people who travel like me having the maps preloaded like tom tom does is a big plus, no data required for it to work.
    Splashtop HD - You can log into your PC with your gmail account. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    Android users still have browsers to visit MMi if they want.
    There is a Tivo app for Android so I don't get what you were saying.
    Find iPhone works better? Got any sources?
    Tweetdeck

As far as google navigation goes you can pre-navigate your directions using Google Now with voice, on Wifi, and save them for the road. You need data for any app that doesn't store ALL of its maps locally, even if you pre-load the map data before your voyage you have to do so with an internet connection(Data or Wifi).

Android did have quite a few malware infested apps in their market for a while, but it is being policed much more strictly now. Let's don't try to pretend that iOS has never had mischievous developers packing their apps with data mining code. Neither platform is squeeky clean. Quality is subjective, and where some see quality in pretty pictures others might see it in functionality. Android apps CAN have a much wider range of functionality within the more open OS; for example applying themes, backing up data(or full roms), file browsers, installing recovery tools. That doesn't mean that most apps do, but not all "polish" in an app is based on visuals. There are far more complex apps available on Android.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    Splashtop HD - You can log into your PC with your gmail account. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    Android users still have browsers to visit MMi if they want.
    There is a Tivo app for Android so I don't get what you were saying.
    Find iPhone works better? Got any sources?
    Tweetdeck

As far as google navigation goes you can pre-navigate your directions using Google Now with voice, on Wifi, and save them for the road. You need data for any app that doesn't store ALL of its maps locally, even if you pre-load the map data before your voyage you have to do so with an internet connection(Data or Wifi).

Android did have quite a few malware infested apps in their market for a while, but it is being policed much more strictly now. Let's don't try to pretend that iOS has never had mischievous developers packing their apps with data mining code. Neither platform is squeeky clean. Quality is subjective, and where some see quality in pretty pictures others might see it in functionality. Android apps CAN have a much wider range of functionality within the more open OS; for example applying themes, backing up data(or full roms), file browsers, installing recovery tools. That doesn't mean that most apps do, but not all "polish" in an app is based on visuals. There are far more complex apps available on Android.
    Will have to try out splashtop, I had only used pocketcloud before and it wasn't good at all.
    MMi in a browser on a mobile device in one word: sucks
    Apparently there is a tivo app (I honestly didn't know), doesn't show up for me in google play and when I try to install from browser gives me not available in your country message. Will have to find a way around that, but that brings up another point why google play isn't as good as the app store, Apple doesn't refuse you stuff based on your IP, if you don't live in the US the google play store is very limited.
    I have used Samsung's version of find phone and it was just cumbersome at best.
    Tweetdeck is alright, but it's no tweetbot. Anyone who has used tweetbot will tell you the same.
    Tom Tom has all the maps preloaded on the device. I don't need data before, during, or after any trip for it to work.
    I agree, the app store is not perfect either, I use both and from my personal experience Apple's app store is still the better one. Especially for international users.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    How many of them are fart apps???? lol. that's what they always knocked the iTunes store on.
    Well of course a few more then apple but do u know why? Android apps actually give u control over your device in tweaking and customizing it. What can u do on apple apps, download wallpaper images? Lol. Mainly just games on apple store while android is mainly functionality.