Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blu-Ray Not Expected to Come to Apple Products According to Schiller

Thanks

Default Blu-Ray Not Expected to Come to Apple Products According to Schiller

In a recent Time’s interview, Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller, addressed the long-standing question of whether Apple will ever jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon. The answer is probably something not too many of you wanted to hear: barring any unforeseen circumstances, consumers will likely never see the option to have Blu-ray on any Apple machine.

According to Schiller, “Blu-ray has come with issues unrelated to the actual quality of the movie that make [it] a complex and not-great technology. So for a whole plethora of reasons, it makes a lot of sense to get rid of optical discs in desktops and notebooks.”

If you are an Apple enthusiast or if you just plain read the news often, you’ll realize that the new ultra-SIM iMac and the new MacBooks with Retina displays have both completely abandoned optical drives as a whole. The Cupertino California company doesn't seem to be a fan of discs in any shape or form though so it isn't as if it’s just Blu-ray. Consumers will still fortunately have the option of using a third party external Blu-ray drive and software to view Blu-ray format videos. Unfortunately, you’ll never actually see Blu-ray drives being an option from Apple when building your own Mac online.

Source: Time

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

That's what I use my Apple TV for

No surprise there. With the onslaught of instant streaming and cloud based services mixed with increasing internet speeds I wouldn't be surprised if ever computer maker abandons the optical drive in the next few years.

I'm into music production, so optical media is a necessity for me. That's why I'm sticking with my 2011 MB Pro... Now I can understand to an extent why Apple wants to sacrifice optical drives for the sake of space & weight on notebooks, but on iMacs?? That just doesn't make sense to me. It's a stationary tool, it's not like you're carrying it around! lol And they say how optical drives are "legacy devices" that they don't believe in so to speak, then why sell it as an optional add-on peripheral?! Though I'm a huge fan of Apple, sometimes they make me scratch my head when trying to understand their ideals & principles...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    That's what I use my Apple TV for
    Apple TV plays Blu-Ray? That's news to me!

Yea. He's a genius and has a portal into the future the rest of us are just not able to see. That "Bluray thing" just won't ever work out. Idiot.

The whole world outght to be stored on Apple's servers so we all have to pay for storage there. Lemmings.

Screw Apple and everything they believe in that's not a phone or a tablet.
    Last edited by LearningMan; 10-27-2012 at 07:58 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    And they say how optical drives are "legacy devices" that they don't believe in so to speak, then why sell it as an optional add-on peripheral?! Though I'm a huge fan of Apple, sometimes they make me scratch my head when trying to understand their ideals & principles...
    It's a legacy device because it's being phased out of use, but it's offered as a peripheral because some small segment of the population still needs it. Not enough to justify building it into every Mac made, but enough to offer it on the side for those that do. I have one for my MBA and have rarely used it, and could have lived without it.

People also said the same thing when Apple abandoned the floppy drive. They are correct with blu-ray too. I can't remember the last time I popped a DVD/cd into my laptop/notebook or desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    Now I can understand to an extent why Apple wants to sacrifice optical drives for the sake of space & weight on notebooks, but on iMacs?? That just doesn't make sense to me.
    It makes sense when you realize that Apple wants its customers to only experience media through the horror-show that is iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    It could play the videos and quality that blu-ray has to offer. I’ve ripped a couple of movies from blu-ray and it works.

The only thing I wish they wouldn’t have done is abandon the optical drive in the iMacs. To be honest, the new iMac looks sweet, but I don’t NEED one that thin. Just bought one last december with the best specs (SSD+2TB, 2GB Graphics, 16GB ram, i7 processor). This computer is already as thin as it needs to be. I do use the optical drive every so often to rip dvd’s but not so much moving files around like i used to in the early 2000’s. A slimmer iMac won’t give me any more room on my desk than the last generation would. I just see it as a heat hazard with the new iMacs, even though it looks sweet.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 10-27-2012 at 10:03 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    ... I wouldn't be surprised if ever computer maker abandons the optical drive in the next few years.
    All they have to do is play follow the leader (which they always do...) Apple is already setting the trend of abandoning optical drives so why would they go back to them to include bluray?

Quote Originally Posted by macsrock View Post
    ... I can't remember the last time I popped a DVD/cd into my laptop/notebook or desktop.
    I used to burn pics that I take on DVD/cd to share with friends/relatives who wanted copies but with services like google drive there just isn't a need for physical discs anymore. The thought of using them crosses my mind, then I find a better way to do it. I'm all for advancing tech, even if it means replacing my traditional iPod cables with lightning cables! Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    ... I but I don’t NEED one that thin.
    Food, water, shelter... That's all you get from now on. Lol
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 10-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Blu-ray? What the feck is that? I thought everyone just streams/downloads?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    It's high definition. That's all that matters to me

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsrock View Post
    People also said the same thing when Apple abandoned the floppy drive. They are correct with blu-ray too. I can't remember the last time I popped a DVD/cd into my laptop/notebook or desktop.
    They sure did, and, low and behold PC's followed. You will see PC's drop the optical disc soon too for the same reason we dont use floppy disc anymore. Time & technology marches on people.

I don't see the point of having a blu optical drive on laptops or the iMac. I can definitely see it as an option for Mac Pro towers since it's more suitable for professionals in that industry. I honestly never really enjoyed watching movies on my laptop.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Makes me wonder why Apple is even part of the BD-alliance. Apple chose a side during the HD format wars, but they never did anything else to support BD. Probably the only reason Apple joined the BD alliance was due to Jobs' affiliation with Pixar and Disney.

Default ha ha ...
    Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
    It makes sense when you realize that Apple wants its customers to only experience media through the horror-show that is iTunes.
    yeah man. tell me about it. I have somehow started hating Itunes. though I'm an apple fan.

All my bakups all these years have been on Discs and blue-ray. I'd hate to carry around an external CD drive all-the-time. its stupid to carry around a 15% thinner laptop and then carry an external disc drive separately.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    I used to burn pics that I take on DVD/cd to share with friends/relatives who wanted copies but with services like google drive there just isn't a need for physical discs anymore. The thought of using them crosses my mind, then I find a better way to do it. I'm all for advancing tech, even if it means replacing my traditional iPod cables with lightning cables! Oh no!
    Physical disks are still useful though. Where I live in the UK the Internet is quite literally a hell whole. We kind of haven't got the whole fibre optic thing yet. Yesterday for example it took me five minutes to upload a simple word document. It is often one heck of a lot easier if possible to share any form of media with others using removable storage such as a USB or CD/DVD (and yes blue-ray too not that anyone uses it) simply because the data transfer speeds when uploading/downloading files are just way beyond a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    Makes me wonder why Apple is even part of the BD-alliance. Apple chose a side during the HD format wars, but they never did anything else to support BD. Probably the only reason Apple joined the BD alliance was due to Jobs' affiliation with Pixar and Disney.
    Easy: Microsoft.

Thanks
    This is why we have the Apple TV guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast