+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blu-Ray Not Expected to Come to Apple Products According to Schiller

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
That is going to be a mistake. My laptop only has a DVD reader, but my model can also be easily upgraded to a Blu Ray reader
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

That is going to be a mistake. My laptop only has a DVD reader, but my model can also be easily upgraded to a Blu Ray reader

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

No big deal. Everything is online these days, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, iTunes Store, etc. It's easy enough to watch HD online or convert a BD to a small format and put it on your laptop/computer. The last time I used my optical drive was to burn a CD, and I only did that because my iPhone couldn't hold all of my music.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    True but since optical disc are going the way of the dinosaurs, maybe you should install a floppy drive too, ya know, just in case.
    Just messin with ya!

Seriously though, do you regularly use the dvd reader? I personally haven't used mine in a long time. I was thinking about replacing my superdrive in my MacBook Pro with another hard or flash drive.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
    It makes sense when you realize that Apple wants its customers to only experience media through the horror-show that is iTunes.
    I'm sorry but how is iTunes a horror show?
    Last edited by Luie82; 10-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    And they say how optical drives are "legacy devices" that they don't believe in so to speak, then why sell it as an optional add-on peripheral?!
    For people like you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luie82 View Post
    I'm sorry but how is iTunes a horror show?
    It's just "cool" to dislike the mainstream.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsrock View Post
    People also said the same thing when Apple abandoned the floppy drive. They are correct with blu-ray too. I can't remember the last time I popped a DVD/cd into my laptop/notebook or desktop.
    +1

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    +1
    Modmyi needs to come with a like option

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Modmyi needs to come with a like option
    Well there is the "Thanks" button, but I agree.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amanda87 View Post
    This is why we have the Apple TV guys
    Ohhhhhhhhhh really?! you so smart! *mind blown*

Thanks

Although i SORTA agree, I'll have to say watching movies on iTunes is no where NEAR the quality of watching via Blu-Ray for one thing the Audio Quality is WAY better on a Blu-Ray then on iTunes and Sure you can stream and All but what happens when your net goes down or you go to a friends house whom doesn't like Apple. I just think Apple doesn't want to spend the $ for an upgrade like this & not to mention it would make their products just THAT much more expensive.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ok, Apple pretty much told the world "you don't need floppy drives" several years ago and look... we progressed. I for one don't like Sony and the way they poured trillions to win the format war. They are always making standardizations difficult by adding their own format to the mix. This is in the interest of the companies, not the consumer. Apple has their own yada-yada, too. But anything that will make the Blu-ray system obsolete and create a loss for Sony's gamble is a good thing IMO. Don't monopolize...adapt. /rant

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think the main reason they do it is to be able to have the thinnest laptops. The second reason is that streaming is one of their main revenues.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    That's what I use my Apple TV for
    what is it with apple fan boys if apple ceo's decide to ditch cars and walk to where ever they need to go yalll would say apple is right cars are out of style I'm walking to everywhere I need to go. Fact is alot of software for computers are on cd/dvd disc and some require the disc to be in the drive while using the software . I don't wanna hear well download the software from the site alot of people either don't wanna download off the website and just get it from a retail store or they don't have the internet connection to support a bunch of movie downloads from itunes and etc with bandwith limits or slow internet speeds depending on where u live . What about people who does photo and video editing and requires a optical drive? I don't wanna hear from apple fanboys buy a external burner or dvd drive which is a rip off for Apple to make more money if a computer cost over a grand I expect a burner drive or bd drive. If I didn't want a optical drive that's what the iPad is for.
    Last edited by Detroitking02; 10-28-2012 at 08:12 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Although i SORTA agree, I'll have to say watching movies on iTunes is no where NEAR the quality of watching via Blu-Ray for one thing the Audio Quality is WAY better on a Blu-Ray then on iTunes and Sure you can stream and All but what happens when your net goes down or you go to a friends house whom doesn't like Apple. I just think Apple doesn't want to spend the $ for an upgrade like this & not to mention it would make their products just THAT much more expensive.
    Agreed. Streaming is great for mobile and the off chance I'll be watching something on my computer, but if I want to watch a movie on my home theater it has to be BluRay. AppleTV is great for my bedroom but it doesn't offer the same quality as BluRay, it's close on the video front but not on the audio; AppleTV doesn't support anything over 5.1 and its more compressed. BluRay isn't needed on a laptop or even a computer but its far from a dead media.

The big thing that saddens me about a lack of optical drive is that I have to either settle for a lower quality song downloaded through any of the legal sites or be forced to buy an external drive to continue ripping CDs in a lossless format.

Banned
    Thanks

Anyone really surprised with this? Apple never do anything thats the normal. They always do things the hard way or the not normal way so just the plain stupid WTF way but never the normal way.

Movies have moved from DVD to BluRay and Apple are removing DVD drives from their computers....wtf? They should be putting BluRay drives IN, NOT taking DVD drives out and replacing them with nothing. How are you supposed to copy music from Audio DVDs to iTunes now? I'm guessing they want you to buy a 2nd copy instead of using the one you already have. And movies, instead of making a iTunes backup you now have to buy the same movie again in iTunes.

Just another FU to the consumer from Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitking02 View Post
    what is it with apple fan boys if apple ceo's decide to ditch cars and walk to where ever they need to go yalll would say apple is right cars are out of style I'm walking to everywhere I need to go. Fact is alot of software for computers are on cd/dvd disc and some require the disc to be in the drive while using the software . I don't wanna hear well download the software from the site alot of people either don't wanna download off the website and just get it from a retail store or they don't have the internet connection to support a bunch of movie downloads from itunes and etc with bandwith limits or slow internet speeds depending on where u live . What about people who does photo and video editing and requires a optical drive? I don't wanna hear from apple fanboys buy a external burner or dvd drive which is a rip off for Apple to make more money if a computer cost over a grand I expect a burner drive or bd drive. If I didn't want a optical drive that's what the iPad is for.
    Cars really? You could've used a better analogy. I don't know about you but I don't like driving to a store to see if may or may not have a movie in stock and pay $20 bluray that I'm only gonna watch maybe twice. Instead I turn on my Apple TV and rent it for $4.99. I'm not saying taking it away is bad but I don't need software. Photos that I need from Walgreens are digital. I'm not telling you to buy anything but if you want an optical drive turn around an boot up that pc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Anyone really surprised with this? Apple never do anything thats the normal. They always do things the hard way or the not normal way so just the plain stupid WTF way but never the normal way.

Movies have moved from DVD to BluRay and Apple are removing DVD drives from their computers....wtf? They should be putting BluRay drives IN, NOT taking DVD drives out and replacing them with nothing. How are you supposed to copy music from Audio DVDs to iTunes now? I'm guessing they want you to buy a 2nd copy instead of using the one you already have. And movies, instead of making a iTunes backup you now have to buy the same movie again in iTunes.

Just another FU to the consumer from Apple.
    Not really. Users if they would like to do what you have stated have the option of buying an external drive and as for not doing things the "normal" way since when has any company that truly innovates done anything the normal way? If you don't like it then don't buy it. It's as simple as that really...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

optical drives are still good for installing games on your system. even though mac's are not known to be gaming rigs, i would much rather take 10 minutes to install a 5 gig game then 3 hours to download it from the server.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsrock View Post
    People also said the same thing when Apple abandoned the floppy drive. They are correct with blu-ray too. I can't remember the last time I popped a DVD/cd into my laptop/notebook or desktop.
    That isn't really a valid comparison, though. Floppy disks have long ago become way too impractical with a storage size of just 1.44~ MB. Even with compression schemes, you're still looking at 2.88~ megs, which isn't even enough space to store a single good quality mp3 or m4a song. Where as DVD and Blu-ray discs still serve a purpose today. Many people still have sizable collections of albums, films, photos, and even computer-backups on such discs. Optical discs are not obsolete in the same way the floppies had become.