+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Posts "Samsung Didn't Copy iPad" Notice as per Court Request

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Posts "Samsung Didn't Copy iPad" Notice as per Court Request

Apple recently posted their “Samsung didn’t copy iPad” notice in compliance with a U.K. court ruling. The notice is a rather long and meticulously crafted one by Apple’s lawyers and not surprisingly, it’s written in anything but laymen’s terms.

The notice mentions patents rather than devices and it gets its own back at the end by citing a German court ruling that did find Samsung violated Apple’s design, and well as their massive, billion dollar win over Samsung in U.S. courts. For those of you who are interested in reading full note, you can do so below:

Samsung / Apple UK judgment

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited’s Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple’s registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWHC 1882 (Pat) (09 July 2012).

In the ruling, the judge made several important points comparing the designs of the Apple and Samsung products:

"The extreme simplicity of the Apple design is striking. Overall it has undecorated flat surfaces with a plate of glass on the front all the way out to a very thin rim and a blank back. There is a crisp edge around the rim and a combination of curves, both at the corners and the sides. The design looks like an object the informed user would want to pick up and hold. It is an understated, smooth and simple product. It is a cool design."

"The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal’s judgment is available on the following link Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWCA Civ 1339 (18 October 2012). There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.
    The ongoing dispute between the two tech giants (Apple and Samsung) continues with no signs of coming to an end. We'll have to see what the next move is between the two companies. As far as the notice goes, Apple seemed to abide by the law but also managed to get their own message into the mix as well. A pretty suave move but an expected one by the Cupertino California company.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

They shouldn't even be talking about the German or US court decision in that apology. US and German courts have nothing to do with the decisions made in the UK.

I can see Apple getting a slap for this so called statement, they are are not following the rules laid out to them, our Judges take a very dim very of companies not following their instructions

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-26-2012), dsg (10-26-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, talk about a new low for apple. They are a sneaky lawyer-driven company, indeed. They should receive a major fine for this, and next thing you know they will be forced to post a note written by the court (not their PR department) on the webpage.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wasn't the Germany Case overturned? I think it did.

So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.
    Other Courts have also found that Samsung has NOT copied Apple. In fact far more have found Samsung not guilty than guilty.
    South Korea, Japan, Germany, Netherlands, U.K., have found Samsung not guilt. Apple are getting no where with the battles in Australia, France or Italy.
    Only U.S. and in particular, California, has sided with Apple - but no surprise there, the U.S.P.O is probably posting record revenues the past few years.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 10-26-2012 at 08:58 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-26-2012)

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 707 Posts

How Arrogant have Appl£ become!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-26-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts

Ok. Children enough is enough, if you don't stop fighting. I'm pulling and spanking you both.

Jeez, seems like it is getting ridiculous. No?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's interesting,and funny already,I think that Apple want to troll their,and they can,BUT,it's not serious at the judge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Lol. The last paragraph is written brilliantly.

Love how they point out the judge saying the iPad is better too!

Also this is not an apology. Nowhere do they say sorry. They just point out facts. That's it.
    Last edited by KraXik; 10-26-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Apple really do suck, as I keep saying and they keep doing crap like that proving me right.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-26-2012)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to say the UK government and laws are well not so good, ie, a r*pist sometimes gets like 3 years. There's a reason why US is pulling out of its financial crisis, Germany isn't even in a crisis and the UK is lagging behind with all the cuts.

However there's no denying the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Galaxy S were knock off Apple's design and because of that, Samsung has gained a HUGE flock of sheep buying every Galaxy device.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 10-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Apple really do suck, as I keep saying and they keep doing crap like that proving me right.
    Not really. Apple isn't going to lie and say that Samsung copied Apple but their also not going to say that they did copy Apple. Their just going to write their notice with minimal bias and state the facts.

Translating from lawyer speak to English all they are basically saying is that the UK court found Samsung not guilty for copying Apple although the judge noted that Apples device was cool and Samsung's was not. However despite the result of the hearing Apple has won other court cases and is a superior device.

You may think that it is wrong for Apple to take advantage of the so called apology notice that has been asked for them but you forget that just like any other company even though they innovate more than most and occasionally care for their customers they are still a business and still in it to make money. People will visit Apple's website and then note that a judge said Apple's device is cooler than Samsung's and that may be the deciding factor in purchasing the tablet over a competitors.

Should that be in there? Probably not but then the judge shouldn't have said it if they didn't want it to go in the apology.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    They shouldn't even be talking about the German or US court decision in that apology. US and German courts have nothing to do with the decisions made in the UK.

I can see Apple getting a slap for this so called statement, they are are not following the rules laid out to them, our Judges take a very dim very of companies not following their instructions
    <sarcasm>
    Oh, how cute... You must be new in interacting with U.S. companies...
    </sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Not really. Apple isn't going to lie and say that Samsung copied Apple but their also not going to say that they did copy Apple. Their just going to write their notice with minimal bias and state the facts.
    Should that be in there? Probably not but then the judge shouldn't have said it if they didn't want it to go in the apology.
    If the judge wanted something specific, he should have written it him(?)self and told them to post it on their website and where. How long has this judge been a judge? New to dealing with lawyers -- err, sorry, 'barristers'.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 10-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    I have to say the UK government and laws are well not so good, ie, a r*pist sometimes gets like 3 years. There's a reason why US is pulling out of its financial crisis, Germany isn't even in a crisis and the UK is lagging behind with all the cuts.

However there's no denying the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Galaxy S were knock off Apple's design and because of that, Samsung has gained a HUGE flock of sheep buying every Galaxy device.
    You sir have no ******* clue what you are talking about

"The German economy is continuing to falter," said Ifo president Hans-Werner Sinn.

UK wellbeing still 13% below pre-crisis levels
    Data shows long-lasting decline in living standards as Bank of England chief hints that UK is emerging from recession

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post

But your courts don't mind copyright violations. Thats nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    You still here? Where's my troll spray...
    Apple Posts "Samsung Didn't Copy iPad" Notice as per Court Request-trollspraybillymays.jpg
    Last edited by luvmytj; 10-26-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Wow, talk about a new low for apple. They are a sneaky lawyer-driven company, indeed. They should receive a major fine for this, and next thing you know they will be forced to post a note written by the court (not their PR department) on the webpage.
    Any company would have done the same thing.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Atta boy Apple

Thanks

Are you seriously comparing rape to supposed copyright infringement? My god you're a moron. Really. And where pray tell are you getting your supposed "facts" from?

Congratulations on hands down THE dumbest most ignorant and idiotic comment I've ever seen anywhere on the Internet. You're right up there with people that comment "1st" on new posts all over the net. Nice one. Yay you, idiot.

Actually regarding the article, I think apple trying to pull a fast one as far as the notice goes will backfire with the courts here. Can't wait for them to get another dressing down.

Thanks

Yes there is. I deny it.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    But your courts don't mind copyright violations. Thats nice.
    no our courts don't like copyright violations. in this case the court heard Appl£'s defence and decided Appl£ were and are wrong, I personally don't believe Appl£ should have to give an Apology for it

but the Arrogance of of that statement is unbelievable

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

man seriously pipe it.