+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New 13-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro Gets the iFixit Teardown

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New 13-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro Gets the iFixit Teardown

As is customary with iFixit, the team has disassembled yet another of Apple’s brand new machines – the 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display. The new MacBook Pro is shown completely disassembled above, compliments of iFixit.

iFixit points out some rather interesting parts about the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display. To name a few, the battery locations have been completely relocated and the solid state storage drive is now hidden under the machine’s multi-touch track pad:

The 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display also comes with not one, but two fans. The fans are of Apple’s new asymmetrical breed, which is supposed to be much quieter. The extra cooling is certainly welcome, since the aluminum unibody case can get pretty hot when performing processor-intense tasks.

In terms of repairability, iFixit gives the 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display a score of 2 out of 10, which is pretty poor. The team explains in the teardown how many of the internal parts of the new machine are quite difficult to remove. The battery packs use less (but still use) adhesive and Apple continues to use tamper-resistant screws to help keep the average user out of their machine.

From the looks of things, everything is a nice tight fit and the 13-inch MacBook Pro will make a nice computer for the average user.

Sources: iFixit

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

they didn't really need to do it this time, since apple showed the insides of it in the presentation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    they didn't really need to do it this time, since apple showed the insides of it in the presentation.
    I know, right!!!

I think, next time iFixit gets a new product to tear apart, just give it to me cuz i'll be fine w/out knowing what the guts look like.

Just sayin!

Thanks

This does seem promising though. It looks to me like you can upgrade the RAM and the SD Drive in this one. Pulling that non-upgradable soldered in crap with the 15 inch is what kept me away from it. I have to be able to buy the cheapest model with the highest non replaceable part and upgrade later. I know most don't have $4000 to drop on a machine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XenoSaber View Post
    This does seem promising though. It looks to me like you can upgrade the RAM and the SD Drive in this one. Pulling that non-upgradable soldered in crap with the 15 inch is what kept me away from it. I have to be able to buy the cheapest model with the highest non replaceable part and upgrade later. I know most don't have $4000 to drop on a machine.
    +1

Thanks

It maybe a good option to keep an average user from tampering anything inside the macbooks out of sheer curiosity... but then again... Apple is just trying to make money out of this too... the 'keeping the average user out' is a pathetic excuse Apple.
    I have a 2008 Santa Rosa MBP which has a decent enough repairability.. I'd never select a 3rd party for repairs on my Apple products... but once your product is out of warranty (in my case 3 years since I got the Apple care plan)... Apple charges you a bomb just to open up the laptop and do a diagnosis... around 60-100$ (here in India) just for opening it up.. RIDICULOUS!!!
    I can understand if they charge me for repairs and labor charges (paid 350$ for the display + 100$ for diagnosis).... Am a big fan of Apple.. have everything from iphone... itouch.. ipad... but no more macbooks. Alienware... here i come!!
    Sorry Apple... your service is pathetic here in India... the Maple store listed on your Authorized Service Center list is the worst Service store... they always have substandard replacement parts... have got my display changed 6 times in 3 years... (And FYI.. I take very good care of my gadgets). I even got a display that had 90-100 degree horizontal viewing angle... horrible color shifts... for the extremes, the desktop looked like a photo negative. And the employees at Maple are downright stupid... I had to fight with them to get a replacement for a replacement... f**king joke!!
    Last edited by jigar7; 10-26-2012 at 12:05 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XenoSaber View Post
    The RAM is not user-upgradable in the 13" model, and unlike the 15", it's not even upgradable as a build-to-order option. 8GB of RAM or pick a different laptop.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    The RAM is not user-upgradable in the 13" model, and unlike the 15", it's not even upgradable as a build-to-order option. 8GB of RAM or pick a different laptop.
    Then what is that under the fan on the left? Wireless? Not saying your wrong, just wondering, I thought that was RAM. However, this makes me hopeful for a 15" refresh that can be upgraded.
    "僕はアニメが好きです!!!"
    "一遍…死んで見る" ---閻魔あい, 地獄少女

"Humans are greedy, therefore they are human, you do well to remember that."
    "Go ahead and shoot me if you want, but... I think you'll wish you'd saved your ammunition later."

---Armblast, GOTT Auditor and ES Member

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep. Check step 10 and 21 on the iFixit tear down. 8GB is the only config Apple offers.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

I would never open up a MacBook Pro